SAU Community

How To Get More Power From A Naturally Aspirated (na) Engine

Eug

Awwesome write up man.. BUt honestly noobs aint going to read all of that..

They want a straight forward and easy to read answer.. E.G.

Extractors - Coby - <site> <price> Power may not increase but response will

Fuel Pump - Bosch 044 - <www.bosch.com> <$350> Big increase in power..

But great write up dude

• Like 1

i disagree i think noobs will read if, after all you want to know what you are doing with your car and how it makes things better / worst.. not like it takes long to read i know if i invest a lot of money in something i would want to read about it.

Sectioning things is cool tho helps people find what they are looking for rather then reading all through.. like intake mods bang im there and can ignore headers etc..

my 2c half drunk

Awwesome write up man.. BUt honestly noobs aint going to read all of that..

They want a straight forward and easy to read answer.. E.G.

Extractors - Coby - <site> <price> Power may not increase but response will

Fuel Pump - Bosch 044 - <www.bosch.com> <$350> Big increase in power..

But great write up dude

i agree... i've requested to the admins to get a wikipedia type page to set up.

hopefully we can provide a straight forward and well presented summary, and a link to follow to more detailed explanation.

now i know the title says how to get more power but i was wondering if this would expand and cover other things like suspension components and stuff like that. i like power but im interested into other parts as well, like at the moment im looking for some new springs and thinking of buying some tein springs just to lower it a bit for a better ride height and so i dont get thrown to the other side of the car when just going around a roundabout slowly. so im just throwing something out there and in the end i think it should end up on the main forum page for everyone to see its a brilliant idea.

to my knowledge, with exhausts its a case too small or too big

there is a size that is too small and will restrict power across the rev range (most often the case with factory exhausts systems - the manufacturers wish to keep the noise/vibration/fumes down so as to pass all the necessary tests sufficiently

this is a case of the exhaust being too big a restriction on the engine - ie try blowing through a straw - ur lungs (the engine in this case) have too much gas to force out of the straw, and no matter how hard you try to force it thru, the force of the air out of the straw is pretty much constant)

there is also a size which is to big and will rob power across the rev range (there is not enough backpressure in the exhaust and as a consequence the exhaust gases cool too quickly and just 'sit' in the exhaust pipe

try blowing through a piece of PVC stormwater pipe - your lungs (the engine in this case) run out of gas to push out the end of the pipe - try it, the force of the air coming out the end is barely anything)

Then there is the right size - the pipe is not too small that it restricts heaps, and not too big that it robs; it scavenges - drawing exhaust gases out of the chamber, but having enough pressure to not stagnate and condense in the pipe (think of a didgeridoo - when you blow through it, its not too restrictive, not too big, and resonates which demonstrates a scavenging effect (a high pressure wave is created when the exhaust port closes, then a low pressure wave is created as the port opens, and so on, these pockets of high and low pressure create that scavenging effect), which is very similar to the sound waves created when a didgeridoo is played)

hope i got that right and i hope that makes sense

PS

the right exhaust size is generally not one size, but over a range

then - the smaller the size in the range, generally the better it is low down (up high it just doesn't flow enough and so becomes restrictive); the bigger the size in the range, generally the better it is high up (it is too big @ low rpms as its not flowing enough - high rpms the scavenging affect works well)

PPS

hmmm - im quite proud of that - its the first time ive been able to describe it so that it makes sense :teehee:

this is a quote of mine from a thread a while ago

use it as you see fit....

So what makes sense?

Do share the meaning.. :rofl:

Nothing.. just had a disagreement :O

back to topic IMO! I also would like this thread to have details about handling mods, my car also suffers "round about roll-itus" and if i am taking some corners a bit harder then usual it will just whip back after the body has rolled, whereas my mates car has some hard lowered springs and takes the corners so much smoother. People say lowering to much is bad for handling tho yea? anyone know the best loweredness for cool looks and good handling?

edit: Jarrod's eagle F1's (235's) i bought a while back take the corners so sick :D (compared to what i use to have anyway haha) can keep up with my cousins RS AWD... in the dry at least :rofl:

Edited by 4Door_33GTS

now i know the title says how to get more power but i was wondering if this would expand and cover other things like suspension components and stuff like that. i like power but im interested into other parts as well, like at the moment im looking for some new springs and thinking of buying some tein springs just to lower it a bit for a better ride height and so i dont get thrown to the other side of the car when just going around a roundabout slowly. so im just throwing something out there and in the end i think it should end up on the main forum page for everyone to see its a brilliant idea.

i know what you're saying, but the forum already has a suspension and handling section. the turbo and non-turbo variants share the same (exception R34 Sedan) suspension setups, everything in here would just be a duplicate of what is already available in the appropriate section.

i am myself a suspension and brake nut, however this part of the forum is non turbo.

Nothing.. just had a disagreement :worship:

back to topic IMO! I also would like this thread to have details about handling mods, my car also suffers "round about roll-itus" and if i am taking some corners a bit harder then usual it will just whip back after the body has rolled, whereas my mates car has some hard lowered springs and takes the corners so much smoother. People say lowering to much is bad for handling tho yea? anyone know the best loweredness for cool looks and good handling?

edit: Jarrod's eagle F1's (235's) i bought a while back take the corners so sick :D (compared to what i use to have anyway haha) can keep up with my cousins RS AWD... in the dry at least :(

too much lowering and it will handle like crap. ideal heights are 355/345mm (front and rear respectively).

some good swaybars should sort out your body roll.

see the suspension thread, sydneykid's bilsteins are top notch. i run them.

let's leave this thread for power applications and things specific to nonturbo shall we?

Quote: Jarrod's eagle F1's (235's) i bought a while back take the corners so sick (compared to what i use to have anyway haha) can keep up with my cousins RS AWD... in the dry at least

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM i loved those tyres, ill so be getting a set of eagle f1 275 & 265 for the new car when i get the mulla together, damn that thing will grip i love 9" wide rims :P

sounds good mate, i just wasnt sure on if the handling / suspension setup was different because the brakes are.

off to the suspension forum!

brakes are different, you're right that's something to include - most circuit go'ers would be upgrading to turbo items anyway.

sorry about the suspension i wasn't sure if it was the same or not, but now i know so ill definately go there for a bit more info on suspension. by the way id like to recommend upgrading your brakes alot of people neglect them and just look at more power and when you see a high powered car with nice rims but the smallest little brakes ever i find it funny. i recommend upgrading to the turbo brakes they are fantastic my car had them installed when i bought it and it stops very fast and makes you feel more safe. plus they fill the stock rims very nicely and makes it look a hell of alot better. i know its not really a good write up but its a great upgrade for a n/a skyline and should give you peice of mind. just remember if you want more power you still need to stop!

sorry about the suspension i wasn't sure if it was the same or not, but now i know so ill definately go there for a bit more info on suspension. by the way id like to recommend upgrading your brakes alot of people neglect them and just look at more power and when you see a high powered car with nice rims but the smallest little brakes ever i find it funny. i recommend upgrading to the turbo brakes they are fantastic my car had them installed when i bought it and it stops very fast and makes you feel more safe. plus they fill the stock rims very nicely and makes it look a hell of alot better. i know its not really a good write up but its a great upgrade for a n/a skyline and should give you peice of mind. just remember if you want more power you still need to stop!

Bah!..

Who needs brakes!?!.. Just change down a gear..

I dont beleive in brakes..

haha - the lighter the car the less brakes you need right???

just down shift and let teh engine do teh slowing right!!!!

seriously brake upgrading is the best thing anybody can do to a car....