SAU Community

Head Unit Removal

Chris Rogers

R34

1 - First pull out the ashtray and undo the screw behind it.

2 - Pull up the gear stick surround and undo the 2 silver screws at the bottom left/right of the storage bin.

3 - Using a thin flat blade screwdriver on the left side, prise out the 2 vents at the top of the console and disconnect the unit.

4 - Undo the 2 silver screw at the top of the heater controls.

5 - Pull out the heater controls, radio & stage bin (all in a cage together).

6 - Remove the radio from the cage (2 screws each side) and fit your radio.

7 - Refit going from step 5 back

Nice guide :/ here's the 32:

R32

1. Pull out ashtray like below, undo two screws behind it

2. Flathead screwdriver under the rear of the center console, push up, it will pop out

3. Flathead screwdriver under the top half of center console, pops out, remove center console, or turn it around

4. Undo 4 screws, two either side of headunit, pull headunit out

5. Undo cage holding onto headunit, refit to new headunit, finish wiring off and put back in hole

6. Refit going backwards from 4 :D

was I your guinea pig chris???

keeep it on topic guys.

my intent was to get this stuck to the top so everyone would stop asking how to get them out and stop filling my PM box u :spank:

jon,

can't remember done too many of the things.

• 3 months later...

R33

remove ashtray

remove 3 screws

unclip panel around shifter

remove two more screws below radio area.

unclip main surround

unclip wiring from: clock,hazards,rear demist , A/C temp sensor, electric mirrors

remove main surround.

remove 4 screws from radio assy.

unclip HVAC and radio wiring.

contact me for pocket,harness and antenna adapter

remove 4-8 screws from radio and put yours in place.

reassemble.

Edited by Chris Rogers

• 2 months later...
R34

2 - Pull up the gear stick surround and undo the 2 silver screws at the bottom left/right of the storage bin.

3 - Using a thin flat blade screwdriver on the left side, prise out the 2 vents at the top of the console and disconnect the unit.

4 - Undo the 2 silver screw at the top of the heater controls.

OK I used Chris's instructions and a couple of extra things that he told me about so here is a slightly more detailed description with pics.

The ashtray just pulls out with no significant force needed. I just pulled on the open lid.

Pic1.jpg

This takes a bit more force, I pulled from the back near the handbrake and levered it up with my fingers. I also pulled off the shift knob at this time but you could probably do it with it on but I thought it would be easier with it off. There are 2 screws at the front of the knob, put the shifter right back in low to get easier access. It takes a little bit of maneuvering to get the surround over the front of the shifter indicator and be careful not to scratch the vinyl with the hard edges of the surround. Unplug the lighter, lighter surround light and steering wheel shift switch. All plugs have a release tab, push it in or you will get real cranky trying to get em off.

Pic2.jpg

3 - Using a thin flat blade screwdriver on the left side, prize out the 2 vents at the top of the console and disconnect the unit.

This is the panel that houses the 2 vents and the hazard switch. I used some masking tape around the screwdriver to avoid scratching the vinyl when levering. Unplug the plug at rear.

Pic3.jpg

4 - Undo the 2 silver screws at the top of the heater controls.

Pic4.jpg

I put some toweling over the lower console area to avoid scratching the vinyl.

Pic5.jpg

I undid a couple of extra screws to "open" up the cage a bit to allow the radio to be removed and the new one installed more easily and without scratching anything.

Mine had the aerial adapter already fitted as there was already an aftermarket deck installed but the previous fitter had butchered the wiring loom so it was a bit more work to re-wire all the wires in a decent manner but if you are removing the stock deck then get the correct plug adapters and aerial adapter available from Chris or some auto outlets. I also bundle any wire slack in some padded tape to avoid any rubbing or rattling later on.

Pic6.jpg

I connected everything up and tried all deck functions before re-fitting the cage permanently just in case but luckily for me all went to plan.

Hope this helps, Mark.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

this really helped me out!!

I just thought i would add that to get the gear surround out it actually a little lever point for you to put a screwdriver by the handbreak at the back. i was having trouble working out how to get it off untill i spotted that.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

might sound stupid but, how do u disconnect the plug behind (the wire connection) the car lighter, there are two of them, one is bigger than the other... seems like it would not come off however from the picture above, obviously 2KR34 can took them it off..

i just dont want to break it because i use it for a lot of thing to charge my ipod, gps, and when i left my lighter.... basically half of my life depends on it.. :)

pls help someone

its for a 34 btw

cheers

bly

• 6 months later...