SAU Community

Extra Groove For Bilstein Shock For Eibach Spring

djr81

Just bought a coilover kit for the R32 Whiteline/SK Bilstein R32 GT-R suspension.

Matt (as in son of SK who is looking after stuff whilst Gary is in the US) said I needed to machine another groove into the shock. Unfortunately he couldn't help with where.

Has anyone with the kit got the location(s) of thee extra grooves?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well the ones I got came pre-grooved, they were every 9mm from memory, right up and down the shock body from the original point. And they are quite shallow grooves only a mil or 2. Since they are not adustable (well thread adjustable like many jap ones) you need the circlip groove in the right place.

I've got this kit for my R32 GTS-t, I got the extra groove machined about 50mm lower. My spring seats sit a bit lower than halfway (so plenty of adjustment to go on both sides) with 7/5 kg/mm 200mm springs. Rears also have helpers.

My ride height is 350mm front and 340mm rear.

????? Got mine from Gary with the thread adjusters??

helper springs on the rear do a great job of keeping the springs trapped at full droop

The fronts however dont have helpers and when jacked up ie full droop springs are not trapped?

Should I be changing or machining another slot to prevent this??

????? Got mine from Gary with the thread adjusters??

helper springs on the rear do a great job of keeping the springs trapped at full droop

The fronts however dont have helpers and when jacked up ie full droop springs are not trapped?

Should I be changing or machining another slot to prevent this??

Any chance of a photo? Springs should be trapped at full droop...

Anyway, here is a photo of the shocks as they are presently. When the Eibach springs arrive they need an extra groove machined into them. But where?

post-5134-1192060143_thumb.jpg

Edited by djr81

I would expect the location of the extra groove to depend on the spring rate and overall dimension of the Eibach compared with other (Kings) spring.

I would expect Whiteline themselves could set up the new groove for you (or at least point you at someone who could).

I would expect the location of the extra groove to depend on the spring rate and overall dimension of the Eibach compared with other (Kings) spring.

I would expect Whiteline themselves could set up the new groove for you (or at least point you at someone who could).

Well problem being that I don't live anywhere near Whiteline, or for that matter anyone else who knows much about Skylines - the joys of living in regional WA I suppose.

Pics are a bit iffy (camera phone) but hopefully help,

guess who is pulling them out to reattach the dust covers and readjust heights again?

these are set at 350 but will bring them back up to 355 this should just about keep the springs trapped I hope

Last pic you can see how much they are not trapped looks more than 5mm

post-33041-1192083853_thumb.jpgpost-33041-1192084115_thumb.jpg

post-33041-1192084198_thumb.jpg

I would say stick the circlip in the bottom groove, put the shocks together and see how it is. If you can get your desired height from that, then you're fine.

How low the sleave needs to go depends on your spring rates and dimensions.

Do you need the extra groove on the shock to adjust the ride height or does cutting the bump stop adjust ride height??

If they both do the same, which method is preferred for adjusting ride height??

our Targa car has bilstein suspention like noone's.

I was having a look at our spare set yesterday, and the threaded adjuster is just a tube that slides over the shock, and if you take the tube off the 6 circlip adjusters are under it, it appears that there has been an extra circlip put in below all the others to hold the tube.

I'm interested to know if they are the same shock as the sk kit. I'll get pn's during the week (and pics if there wanted)

Edited by sav man

mine are from the group buy and even at 355 dont seem to totally trap the springs in the front

Will have to take em back out to reattach the dustcovers, have been a little busy :)

will have a look to see if I have the extra circlips might need to try another height for the threaded sleeve bit

our Targa car has bilstein suspention like noone's.

I was having a look at our spare set yesterday, and the threaded adjuster is just a tube that slides over the shock, and if you take the tube off the 6 circlip adjusters are under it, it appears that there has been an extra circlip put in below all the others to hold the tube.

I'm interested to know if they are the same shock as the sk kit. I'll get pn's during the week (and pics if there wanted)

they are most likely teh same bilsteins, but have had bilstein sleeves put in them(thats what the tube is), wich gives you a threaded body now for adjusting height!

I am interested in these sleeves as i would like to try them.

They're the same shocks as the groupbuy, but have been revalved to suit the higher rates (well that's what mine are anyway)

I've had no problems with springs being untrapped at full droop on the front though? Running 350mm ride height, the springs have about 20mm preload on them...

I do need longer helpers on the rear though, running 340mm ride height, the springs are untrapped by about 10mm, this is with 60mm helpers.

7/5 kg/mm springs too.

Edited by salad

cool, i need to get some group buy bilstein's with coil over kit for my car. As the Targa car has a better quality ride on the road than my car with it's dodgy old tenebe's (that even before you get to the track)

Pics are a bit iffy (camera phone) but hopefully help,

guess who is pulling them out to reattach the dust covers and readjust heights again?

these are set at 350 but will bring them back up to 355 this should just about keep the springs trapped I hope

Last pic you can see how much they are not trapped looks more than 5mm

post-33041-1192083853_thumb.jpgpost-33041-1192084115_thumb.jpg

post-33041-1192084198_thumb.jpg

My stuff arrived yesterday. Looks very bling. The threaded sleeve looks long enough to make installing the groove relatively easy. Doesn't much matter if it is +/-10mm in either direction.

Couple points/questions from the first set of photos:

1. Where is your lock ring?

2. If your spring isn't trapped you probably need a helper.

Oh and does anyone know where to get the spanners from?

post-5134-1192495070_thumb.jpg