SAU Community

What do I need to do to my car before a track day?

Duncan

Supersprints and Hillclimbs are different to commercial track days as they are full, CAMS sanctioned speed events.

Supersprint:

Timed runs (normally 1-3 laps) around a race track with 2-4 other cars. You will be timed within your class.

Hillclimb:

Timed runs up along a track/road (up a hill!), one car at a time.

Any CAMS event will make "supplementary regulations" available which will explain the requirements. In general, you just run your road car with the following:

* Fire extinguisher mounted in the cabin (about $40)

* "Secondary Bonnet Tie Down" - any simple rope/strap that holds your bonnet closed in addition to the normal catch

* Blue triangle on the car pointing where your battery is (can just use electrical tape)

* your competition number on the side (can also just be tape)

These changes are all pretty simple and should not need to be permanent mods to your car.

You will need:

* Full face helmet

* Neck to foot clothing

* CAMS L2S license, currently $91 thru CAMS or the club.

More detail from the cams site is here:

http://www.cams.com.au/content.asp?PageID=...rted&ObjectID=6

There are regular drag races at Eastern Creek on Wed nights from 3pm-10pm. If you get there around 3 you should be able to have 4-5 runs in that time.

Bring along:

* Registered car, bring along rego papers (and a letter confirming you can run if the car is owned by a company)

* Driver's license

* helmet

* long clothing

Full details are on the Eastern Creek site:

http://www.eastern-creek-raceway.com/offstreet.htm

Full circuit racing is a bigger comittment than hillclimbs and supersprints.

To drive you need:

* Helmet

* Race suit

* Race boots

* Fireproof socks

* optional fireproof balaclava and underwear(!)

* CAMS L3 license or higher (requires approved observed license test, eg thru race driving course, flags lecture, medical exam) current cost is $465.

You can get hold of the racing gear from shops like Race and Rally

As for your vehicle, you can either lease a prepared car for a race, or put it together yourself. CAMS have full details of the requirements for each category.

• 1 month later...

My thoughts on the subject....

If you are sensible about it you can take any car on the track. Just drive it within it's limits and your's.

The idea of a track day is different for everyone. I go out there to drive fast in a safer (and legal) environment to the road. I do a few hot laps and then let the car cool down. Tyres, brakes etc can cop a beating on the track IF YOU DON"T LOOK AFTER THEM.

A brief checklist I do:

Bleed brakes before every track day.

(Using DOT 5 or higher fluid in brakes)

Check condition of brake pads (more than 1/2 left is a guide).

Check cond. of tyres and inflate to correct pressure.

Check all wheelnuts torqued to correct spec.

Change engine oil (usually coincides with oil change time anyway).

Check all other fluid levels.

Visually check (and do the grab and shake check) suspension for any obvious problems.

Now if you think about it they are all things you should be doing anyway, even if you are only driving a car on the road....

Frank Williams does NOT use track days to recruit drivers so there's no point pushing it. Wait until you get familiar with the track/car/yourself before trying for the lap record.

Everyone should do it at least once in their life.

:D

• 4 months later...

If you're serious about supersprints it's also worth getting a spare set of wheels and fitting them with street legal competition rubber such as Dunlop DR01's (or 02's) or Bridgestone Potenza 540's. They're worth atleast 2 seconds a lap on most circuits.

Gordon Leven Tyres at Emu Plains sells Bridgestones and Gary's Race Tyres at Blacktown sells the Dunlops. My 540's are 235x45x17 and cost $360 each.

Of course, if you're prepared to buy competition rubber you'll get the most out of it if you install a suspension kit as well.