SAU Community

JJR Coil Packs Vs Oem Vs Splitfire Vs Other

get quality products and not cheap knock offs esp china made ones.. =)

This is an outdated statement as everything is made in China these days.

My Yellow Jackets are made in china and I oversee QC and work closely with my factory and now, 5 years later, and over 2000 sets sold worldwide, they have proven themselves and I stand by them 1000%. :cheers:

• Like 1

Wow those nissan logos are poxy and a dead giveaway of being fake.

My Yellow Jackets are made in china and I oversee QQ and work closely with my factory

Paul has nailed it. You can get good products out of china but quality control is everything. If you say nothing then they will just make it as cheap as possible and 85% of them will probably work. But if you insist on quality and are involved in QC then you will get a much better result.

I can attest to YJ coils and Paul's level of service, he's great to deal with and would not have any hesitations in buying from him again (although I won't need to, right? :P)

This is an outdated statement as everything is made in China these days.

My Yellow Jackets are made in china and I oversee QC and work closely with my factory and now, 5 years later, and over 2000 sets sold worldwide, they have proven themselves and I stand by them 1000%. :cheers:

thats good to know... :yes:

but I have also seen a lot of parts like intercooler pipings made in china and they are rough as hell, porous, uneven thickness and have tons of burr. kits supposedly meant for a certain car.. are totally way off and dont fit well.

Has anyone ever made a successful warranty claim against a fake?

If not, I'd suggest we stick to those with good QC. The ones we know have a warranty.

BTW, has there ever been an attempt to fake Yellow Jacket, Splitfire or SuperSpark?

• 1 month later...

well I've just sat here and read this whole forum which started some years ago, I usually read I don't usually post

I'm a diesel mechanic by trade, I fix everything, including race bikes, never have I found working on skylines confusing or hard there just another car to me, both me skylines have the normal issues, I've been up bush making the cash and haven't got to em yet, so this week I got home with the cheque and well I spose I will give the 32 a birthday I've been driving it around since I got it registered off boost cause it coughs and farts when you put the foot into it, the son owns it but he's that smart he brought it while he was on his Ps and then tried to elude the local country town police until he racked up enough fines to pay for this and next years end of year piss up, so dad went and got it and it sat around till I decided to register it, I even loaded it with tools the other day and took it up bush north of Broken hill to do some work (dad blew the Hilux up and I haven't put it back together yet). this cars got a good little turbo and a strong donk so im sick of not getting goods out the donk, I had social drive with a bloke in new taxi spec commodore the other day going up hill into the 110 zone he pulled his in gear the 32 flew past him only to stop dead on the speed limit, the pass was made he was done, but what he didn't know was my car had signed off going into miss land (I wont tell him that cause he might set fire to his car if only he knew he was being passed by a sick car). so im about 2 minutes away from buying 2 sets of coil packs, mays well do both cars as they have the same issue, while reading before I buy I can tell you people what I know without naming people or brands, this forum is some years old I don't even know if it still running but anyway I will try to have my say

Was about to buy split fires from what I can gather there's no need the yellow jackets sound good to me and the bloke selling them is around for the long-haul by the sounds, from what I've read elsewhere the split fires have been updated, having a L.E.D installed into it spose that would be just on the 12v or supply side to show its powered up, but I haven't read much about it and never really bothered to find out the whole story, there's no doubt the SF are good units, the warranty is what worries me, I noticed a couple of people saying that with the YJ and some others they gained some midrange power, well we know that they didn't really gain it, the motor, tune and turbo is saying that its got the goods it just means the CPacks chosen are working well, this is an area with the RB engine that must work well if your ride is to be on song and often causes tuners trouble, or can become a part that gets no attention come tune time, rbs are small in capacity (don't mean the 30) if you can get them twisting hard low in the revrange is always a good sign, we all know there's a lot more involved, with turbos comp, tune etc. but if you can get and rb to pull well coming onto boost is a great sign, so a coil pack working well around that stage is a good sign, shows its very capable (how capable without amplifiers is the trick the tuner needs to know) spose we play with gaps, boost a/f mixtures, many runs dynos or road if you game, the top grade tuners will know what coil packs deliver the goods although many will only give you 1/2 the story its there job their got to have some secrets

so for me its changed from SF to YJ known my luck they'll work well lean the engine out and blow it up, so once there fitted both cars will go to a tuner in SA everyone knows them, one car has a powerfc, and the 32 I've never looked to see what it has, soon as the miss is gone and A/Fs are close I get them tuned, I may ring the tuner and ask him about the coil packs see what he says too

MADE IN CHINA: how many cans of worms can we open, with a Japanese,vietenese,bangladeshenese,koreanese,netherlandense,indiaense,singaporenese,can opener it doesn't matter any place where the labour cheap, just bought a jap bike official team sponsor badge kit for a customer (packet full off aftermarket sponsor logos to sew on your jacket) made in china, 90% off the expensive stuff on the race bikes are made in china, the new r35 has some trick titanium exhausts being fitted here in aus the quality is excellent the price is pretty high made in china

Quality control it does exist, there are just different versions off made in (where ever cheap labour)

One version is old mate who's a home town boy sees and intercooler on a slot car and thinks well I can build that lends his mates cig (made in china probably) and starts out making what ever with little research or testing, they are smart people and work like drovers dogs, but they are only interested in the money, the product is a little how's ya father, that product may get a bad name with what ever expertise they have little or none, they find something else to make, then you get the very few that succeed have and interest in the product and the business grows from there with quality and variety growing, these would be the locals trying to brake into any type of market with little quality control.

THE ARFER DAILEY; he will go overseas with an idea, a product he will find big business to make it in the container loads and deal which ever way he pleases with them, quality control not needed his names not on the packet

LOCAL CORP; these are a local company making a grade stuff, employing many ausys or home landers making a great product, exporting it and selling it locally quality control is at the highest level, the product is designed carefully merticulessly caressed for faults and tirelessly tested to improve the product to make it the best available choice for the consumer, but there's a problem the government have a lot off longwinded words for it, but anyone that's not in big business and has half a brain calls it greed, and its sweeping around the world faster than a mighty boy with a big block in it.

So its easy move the business to anywhere that large quantities of cheap labour exists, even pack containers and move the equipment used to manufacture the products, then the product is made quicker more people on deck less labour costs (what's super) and corp can focus then on pumping it down our necks through advertisement, its win win for big business loose loose for everyone else, even though the product is made a lot cheaper, because of the name already behind it there's no reason to make it cheaper, marketed correctly they become untouchable. there's a lot of or buts and that's why, just stupid excuses for F### the rest I need more money 5 billion is not enough for me your honour

what a story I've raved on here but please correct me if think im full of shit,id be surprised if one does, keep your eye on ford, TICKFORDENESE

The coil pack cover is another story its got good points and bad points, its hard to think what its like under the bonnet on a summers day in aus with the spindly little radiators, without going into that subject, I don't loose mine

matt

• 4 months later...

Sorry to bump an old thread, have found a genuine OEM coil pack seller for $320 PER SET (which sure beats $190 each) have also found new coil pack looms for $100 delivered.

I am not tossing up between YJ ($420 set) and OEM ($320 set) I've just read this whole thread, confused with some contradicting statements regarding OEM vs SF vs YJ for high hp applications.

I'm of the mentality that std parts are good for std power, what are thoughts on longevity of OEM coils 400hp+ ?

Has anyone tried these eBay OEM coil packs in anger and have feedback?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/131004016811?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Has anyone tried these eBay OEM coil packs in anger and have feedback?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/131004016811?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Pretty sure those are fakes. Someone around here made comparisons and found they were fake. No way you could get genuine OEM coils for that price, unless it was stolen.

• 4 months later...

I purchases some of the above genuine fakes.... We had the car on the dyno a few days ago and they were misfiring at around 250kw. Demanded the guy to send me his number on ebay and he is insisting that they are genuine. I was on the phone with him trying to keep my cool for about 30 minuits and hes not willing to refund my money. He has asked me to send them back to send to the manufacturer for testing. Looks like ive lost $300.... Do not buy these!

As i was in the process of slowly piecing together parts for a few months i happened to buy these about 60 days ago.... Outside of the 45 day payPal dispute resolution service. If the guy turns around and tells me that they are fine, i will do anything i can in my power to make sure no one buys these coils. Its more the principle of the matter than the money at the moment. The fact is that there is a guy on eBay selling Chinese counterfeits to the general public and its not only the skyline guys that will cop it. He's selling genuine fakes for other car makes as well. I have put them side by side with my originals and they are so alike its not funny. Only thing that sets them apart is the sizing of the letters for the model numbers being slightly larger on the fakes.

Unfortunatly the coils were so deceivingly alike to the the oem coils i left him good feedback as they were received from the seller really quickly. I was thinking about contacting head office for nissan australia and asking them how they felt about someone selling counterfit products using their brand. If anyone is going to put a stop to it i would think they would. Im even happy for them to take my coil packs for testing. I will be ringing them tommorow.

Does australian consumer law help in this case?

It wasn't an auction so I think it would.

If I've learned anything over the past few months while watching my boss fall victim to a huge business scam is that consumers have no rights and department of fair trading is all for show. No one can be made to do anything they do not want to do. I will never get my money back.... Im pretty certain of this. But i will try and drag his name through the mud. In the grand scheme of things, i have lost a lot more than $280 during this build but it bothers me that he insists that they are genuine after being questioned even before purchase.

Sorry about the rant lol

• 5 months later...