SAU Community

Brake Upbrade

JAV360

let's face it, the standard brakes on a stagea aren't the best and after having a full load it was obvious, better brakes were needed.

After reading the 'do it yourself' section i thought i'd post up a how to fit 33 front brakes.

post-34938-1186900253_thumb.jpg

I managed to get a set of r33 gts-t front calipers and discs for only 300 from a jap wreckers.

The calipers were in good nick and even came with some pads, the discs weren't that bad but did require machining, lucky for me my work has a brake lathe.

post-34938-1186900484_thumb.jpg

Once the old caliper and disc has been removed, the backing plate will need to be cut in the corners due to the bigger caliper.

I cut mine with a pair of in snips and didn't need that much force.

post-34938-1186900704_thumb.jpg

post-34938-1186901412_thumb.jpg

Now for the caliper, the original line can still be used but the banjo bolt is too long so the flare fitting inside the caliper will need to be removed.

I managed to get mine out by inserting a relatively course threaded screw into the fitting the using a claw hammer to lever it out.

I found the mounting bolts for the old caliper cant be used as the thread is different in the 33 caliper, and even the original 33 caliper bolts are too short.

I had to go to a wreckers to find some bolts, i went to a U-pull-it wreckers and found some bolts on the floor under an old bluebird, not sure where they came from.

post-34938-1186901873_thumb.jpg

Now the caliper can be mounted, i had to use a spacer and a lock washer behind the mounting bolts as the were a bit too long and hit the back of the disc, so make sure whatever bolts are used that they go in far enough but not too far.

With everything mounted and secured all thats left is to bleed the brakes.

Not only is it a braking improvment but the look pretty good through the wheels.

post-34938-1186902788_thumb.jpg

All up, besides machining and painting this could easily be achived in a day.

The wreckers didn't have any rear brakes so you will have to bare with me and i'll post up a thread on that at in the not to distant future.

Cheers, if there are any questions i'll be happy to answer them.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice write-up, i've done the conversion too. (however i stripped the thread on the brake line, so i had to remove them again! :))

however, i didnt have to trim the backing plate, the calipers sat extremely close, but didnt touch it (no it hasnt been cut before either), and i also found the mounting bolts off my R33 were the perfect length, not too short.

HI

I did a bit of testing at QR raceway and found that the standard brakes lasted about one lap before the pedal was almost on the floor. New fluid and some better pads saw me to about lap two before the pedal was once again almost on the floor. I then put R33 front calipers and slotted roters on (they had blue colored pads in the calipers so i assume they are endless). I can now do the five hot laps and the ABS still squirms under hard braking even with a long pedal. The next step is to put R33 rear brakes on but i have heard i will have to change my booster as well. Can anyone confirm that for me ?.

Thanks

Phil

Awesome stuff mate excellent write up, ive had R34 GTT rear calipers and and rotors sitting in my room for a while now just have not got around to fitting them, but now i hardly drive the stag so it will have to wait until i have more cash.

I'll probbably just wait a bit until i have enough money to do the fronts at the same time.

• 1 year later...
Is this purely a series 1 thing?

no, you can get them to fit on a S2 but with a little bit extra custom work. mainly to do with the caliper mounting bolt.

here is what i found for the S2, be sure to read my post on the following page aswell, i was using the wrong rotor when i wrote the first write up, had to write up some correctons.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...t&p=4368252

yeh R34 GTT brakes use the same size bolts as the S2 stags... i've had a quick look at both and they looked the same, also had it confirmed by my local import workshop that has done it to his RS4s

D.

correct, bolt on, put R34 gtt front and backs on mine, only mods is cut a little out of rear backing plate for the caliper and also had to replace F and R hoses, I used R33 GTR hoses I think.

Yeah you would have to use the 34GTT rotors aswell.

I like the sound of the 310mm 34GTT rotors.. I mean I've got 327mm rotors on the front of my 32 and if anything, the Stag needs them more than the 32 lol

Anyone using 34GTT setup notice any change in wheel offset?

correct, bolt on, put R34 gtt front and backs on mine, only mods is cut a little out of rear backing plate for the caliper and also had to replace F and R hoses, I used R33 GTR hoses I think.

Excellent, they do fit! Would you be able to find out what brake lines you used? I'd want to fit stainless lines at the same time if doing the conversion, and being able to buy lines for a '33 or '34 off-the-shelf (or, through an SAU group buy for ADR-approved ones :P) would be a lot cheaper/easier than getting custom ones made...

Yeah you would have to use the 34GTT rotors aswell.

I like the sound of the 310mm 34GTT rotors..

Exactly why I was thinking about the '34 conversion over the '33 one. Bigger rotors can only be a good thing on such a wagon :)

After checking, they are GOODRIDGE R32 GTR stainless/teflon brake hoses. You will also need the hard brake line from the caliper to the hose, R33 or R34 should do. And a few small hose mounting mods.

After checking, they are GOODRIDGE R32 GTR stainless/teflon brake hoses. You will also need the hard brake line from the caliper to the hose, R33 or R34 should do. And a few small hose mounting mods.

Thanks Simon, that's great. Perhaps this sort of info could go near the start of the thread, ie. something like:

S2 RS-Four V upgrade to R34 brakes all-round, standard R34 GTT pads, calipers and rotors front & rear bolt straight on using the original R34 caliper bolts, backing plates may require slight trimming on the rears, use R32 GTR lines front & rear, need R34 handbrake line from caliper to hose. (R33 may also fit?).

Does that sound about right?