SAU Community

Rev210's 5min $5 Intake Pipe Mod For Your Stagea/skyline.

Hi all.

I have been on the forums a while and have done this intake mod a few times without realising that I hadn't put the info up on how to do it.

This mod is as good as any replacement intake pipe you may find for sale but, it may not have the 'bling' you are after.

******** Airflow is improved / Less restriction ***********

******** Pipe will never suck closed *******************

Looks $5 performs like $150.

This is the stagea's intake pipe but, its exactly the same as the R33 gtst one and a few others.

All you need:

- Scissors

- A 13cm peice of off-cut 3inch metal pipe. Stainless is nice but, mild steel is fine. (usually free)

- Two appropriate sized 3inch diameter hose clamps ($5)

How to:

* Remove the intake pipe from the vehicle.

* Block the turbo inlet with a clean rag to prevent dirt getting in.

* Cut a section out of the middle of the flexible intake pipe where shown in pic 1. Scissors do this easy enough. Note to take the middle 2 bumps out cutting along the 'valleys' either side of each bump.

* Take a moment to clean out the peices of intake pipe you are going to re-use.

* Grab the off-cut 3inch diameter metal pipe section and cut it down to 13cm. 13cm is as long as you can realistically go.You can go much shorter 10cm or less if you like and this will give you more flex for re-fit if you want it or if you are using an aftermarket pod that sits in a slightly different position. Run a bit of sand paper or a file over the edges to remove any sharp bits that might cut the rubber pipe.

* Push the 13 cm metal pipe gently but, firmly into the each side of the two intake pipe peices with hose clamps already loose but in place.

* tighten clamps

* re-install

Off you go! :(

post-271-1181978799_thumb.jpg

post-271-1181978815_thumb.jpg

Edited by rev210

nice idea. pretty easy hey! but can the intake still get sucked up were the metal isnt? or is the most likely place for the to get sucked close the bend where you've replaced?

The pipe won't suck closed there is now 13cm of steel in the place it would normally do so.

The replacement removes the turbulence of that flexible section in terms of airflow, so you get a small power increase (7hp or so) as well.

Edited by rev210

Thats actually quite clever. I was thinking about getting a proper hard pipe welded up, but i might actually give this a whirl at some stage into the future.

Is it really that effective, is a non squishy intake really gonna have that much of an effect?

Cheers,

Chris

Chris,

It has a proven effect, the ribbed section of the intake pipe causes turbulence and produces restriction Vs a smooth internal surfaced pipe. It's a $5 / 5min job. you have nothing to lose but 5min and $5. :P

rev210

1. is this techncially a factory looking 'dose' (fark i find that a funny word) pipe, and will the chicks love me

2. does it chirp second

nice mod!

LMAOOOOO

chicks dig hard, non turbulant 'dose' pipes :D

good idea in the way of eliminating some turbulance in the air flow, but it wont solve the sucking closed issue.

I had an r33 inlet pipe fitted on my car and on the dyno i watched it suck closed where the two inlets for the bov return and oil breather are... on more than one occasion aswell.

but it wont solve the sucking closed issue.

but it doesn't have the rest of the pipe to flex, to help it suck close.

There is metal sitting in the middle now, so from what rev210 is saying, it's not possible for it to close, but close the "give" isn't there in the pipe anymore, even IF the metal bit doesn't go the whole length...

that make sense rev210? and yes indeed you've been around for a while :D

Looks like a good mod to do on a rainy day!

Knowing my luck though I'd some how fook that mod up - $5 into $100 and 5 mins into 5 hours! hahah

Are these pipes easy to come by in case I do f**k it up? :thumbsup: (seriously I have a tendancy to stuff alot of things up that I touch!)

Chris,

It has a proven effect, the ribbed section of the intake pipe causes turbulence and produces restriction Vs a smooth internal surfaced pipe. It's a $5 / 5min job. you have nothing to lose but 5min and $5. :thumbsup:

Well bugger it i will give it a go. Where would one usually come across a "13cm bit of 3 inch metal pipe?"

good idea in the way of eliminating some turbulance in the air flow, but it wont solve the sucking closed issue.

I had an r33 inlet pipe fitted on my car and on the dyno i watched it suck closed where the two inlets for the bov return and oil breather are... on more than one occasion aswell.

No it won't suck closed. There is simply not enough flexible pipe left for that to happen. It will never happen.

For those wondering where to get a 13cm 3inch bit of pipe off cut, most exhaust places have them. If you are getting exhaust work done get a bit for free.