SAU Community

Difference Between Rb20det In (gts-t) Vs (gts4-t)

RipNGrip

HEy guys, i am wondering what the differences are between the rb20det in a gts-t and a gts4-t in a r32?

sump? front diff? Are they interchangable if u change the sump?

I have a gts4-t and i am looking for a newer fresher rb20det but gts4-t are quite hard to find, well newer engines!

If your looking for spare GTS4 motors im sure a while back when i got some stuff from Jap Spares he said he had like 4 of them sitting around. RB20 GTS4 motors.

But from what i can tell is that the sump must be changed and thats basically it.

I too have been toying with the idea of a newer fresher motor but until mine bites the dust then im happy with it.

from memory the engine block is different on a gts4 to a gtst , the gts4 has the big bolt holes for bolting the sump/front diff to the engine, it has the smaller holes for just bolting a normal sump to it also. Making a gts4 motor into a GTSt motor would work but I don't think you can go from a gtst to a gts4 because it won't have the bolt holes for the front diff...

I maybe wrong but I would definitely go and look at a GTST block and see if it has the holes for bolting the front diff to before I bought one.

Block is different sam, will need an adapter like R.I.P.S. make for the 30 into gtr.

Just go the 26, you know you want to and, look, it fits like it should have been there in the first place.. :P

Heller44: Totally right.......... rb26 well it would fit easy so would a 4wd stagea (i think) and i would love the extra response and power from both those engines! The 26 has soo much modding potential but realistically i cant afford to run a 26 when i go back to uni. I am working now but full-time uni = no money = no rb26dett = :P

gts4diehard: I called a jap wrecker the yesterday (any jap - bris) and he said the same thing u did. That the block is slightly different and that u could swap the engine models but only one way... So gts4-t to gtst but not gtst to gts4-t

The only reason i am freaking out is because my car started heistating/stalling/misfiring can't find the problem so i am sending it to a mechanic but i think it might be a slight leak in the HEADGASKET so i thought a newer fresher rb would be a cheaper/more reasonable idea.

Another option to give you something to think about......

If you want the bottom end fresh why not send it off for a light refresh. Just hone, rings + bearings. Shouldn't cost any more than 1.1-1.3k + labour to remove install the motor which is what you would be up for if you were to drop a s/h motor in anyway. :)

$280 or so for a Nissan VRS full top end kit, have new valve stems fitted for $100-150ish (shouldn't cost any more if the people doing the work have worked on the dohc heads before + have all the tools required) and possibly a valve grind.

You should get away with a fresh rb20det for 1.8k or so.

Shop around, speak to a few cylinder head shops and a few engine reco places that do bulk work as they are the ones who are usually cheap. :banana:

I know Jap Import Spares <looks at sig> had a GTS4 RB20DET recently; drop them a line see what they want from it and if they can ship it over to you and how much for. Make a mention your from SAU and Tim may look after you. :banana:

Thanks Cubes, Yeh dropping the car to the mechanic soon after lossing a diagnositic battle with my rb20det! Soo hopfully they can tell me whats the go with my car.... and i should be able to pull together 2-3 grand for a refresh of the bottom half and top hopefully! I wait for the diagnosis from the mechanic then figure it out.... i would like to have a rb20 that is reliable and fairly powerful. Some weekend drives and short run work and back. i would like to push btn 180 to 200 kws if i can afford it! :blink: