SAU Community

Gtr Twin Turbo Removal

tacker

As per the Nissan workshop manual for an R32 GTR its 16 steps to remove a turbo....cops A%#E it is.

My 16 step guide.

1. open bonnet

2. guess where some one hid the wee bloody things

3. stand around in sheer amaisement that they are where you thought they could not be

4. curse some snotty nose engineer who thought to put them there

5. purchase oxy set

6. purchase spanner set to replace all the spanner that are going to be modified to get to bolts / nuts

7. purchase box of bandaids as you just know your going to need them.

8. drive through bottle shop on way back from bandaid trip ( pain relief only )

9. find 44 gallon of wd 40 and set up drip feed to whole rhs of engine compartment for at least a week to have any chance at all.

10. sit some where very quite for at least an hour to contemplate if you really really REALLY need so much horse power ( of course you do ) before starting.

11. ask yer mates if you really really need 500HP ( also ask if they are willing to help )

12. Now you know who yer mates really really are and i bet they are the ones who have not remove the turbos on a GTR before!

13. close bonnet!

14. get yellow pages

15. Find some one who does this for a living ( silly bugger ) wait in sheer terror for the bill from the god of turbo removal.

16. open bill from god of turbo removal only after the entire content of step 8 have been consumed and that be thankful you had the wisdom to have the pain relief on hand before, cause you sure wont be able to afford and any for quite some time after.

Right some one please send me a link to how to do this properly as i have searched and searched but all i could find was the removal of GTST turbos.

regards

As per the Nissan workshop manual for an R32 GTR its 16 steps to remove a turbo....cops A%#E it is.

My 16 step guide.

1. open bonnet

2. guess where some one hid the wee bloody things

3. stand around in sheer amaisement that they are where you thought they could not be

4. curse some snotty nose engineer who thought to put them there

5. purchase oxy set

6. purchase spanner set to replace all the spanner that are going to be modified to get to bolts / nuts

7. purchase box of bandaids as you just know your going to need them.

8. drive through bottle shop on way back from bandaid trip ( pain relief only )

9. find 44 gallon of wd 40 and set up drip feed to whole rhs of engine compartment for at least a week to have any chance at all.

10. sit some where very quite for at least an hour to contemplate if you really really REALLY need so much horse power ( of course you do ) before starting.

11. ask yer mates if you really really need 500HP ( also ask if they are willing to help )

12. Now you know who yer mates really really are and i bet they are the ones who have not remove the turbos on a GTR before!

13. close bonnet!

14. get yellow pages

15. Find some one who does this for a living ( silly bugger ) wait in sheer terror for the bill from the god of turbo removal.

16. open bill from god of turbo removal only after the entire content of step 8 have been consumed and that be thankful you had the wisdom to have the pain relief on hand before, cause you sure wont be able to afford and any for quite some time after.

Right some one please send me a link to how to do this properly as i have searched and searched but all i could find was the removal of GTST turbos.

regards

You pretty much covered it.

i followed the work shop manual for most of it. but i also had all the required tools to remove everything

LOL! :huh:

I'm heading down this path soon.....

Though i reckon i'll follow steps 1-3, then 13. Then of course #15, and cringe upon seeing the bill!

Oh well..... the price we pay in the pursuit of performance :P

Hahahahahaha

I had a bunch of good blokes who know how to do it....and still we couldnt figure out why some of the things were put where they were put!!!

End of the day, one chipped tooth, a trip to the dentist for a fake tooth and the motor was out.....not to mention the bandaids!

Great thread :P

Pay some-one else to do it...If your not a mechanic...

Cost approx...$500 to $600.Engine in..."don't make them take it out cause their lazy."

This will cost another $500

The extras such as new copper washers/bolts/gaskets/oil and water lines"if needed"

can cost though.

Great explanation / DIY Turbo replacement for a GTR..

What a sreaming b%#@^&$d of a job.

and i started so it will be a recovery truck to get it to the god of turbo removal.

PS i work on dirty smelly old deisel engines everyday and these engines were made for blokes with hands like a little kid. How the hell do you get the oil drain sepeated from the cartidge.

Edited by tacker

It's not that bad :P

Start by draining oil/water from the motor, just do a little at a time. The stages _are_ ridiculous (they summarize so much

work so easily!!!).

Don't lean on any of the oil/water lines (you can damage them very easily) so make sure you've cracked the nuts on the banjos

before you undo the banjos. This goes for anything that you might want to separate - separate the lines while they're still

relatively fixed in place rather than try to do it after you've removed a solid mounting.

Also to take the turbos off the manifolds you need to do it in stages - like crack the nuts, lift a little, undo some more,

lift a little, etc. etc.

I had a bit of drama with the water lines running along the side of the head; had to find a special spanner that would engage

more faces than a standard spanner (pipe spanner? flare spanner?). I also found that a set of Kincrome metric stubby ratchet

spanners was invaluable (both in removal, and installation).

Good luck, anyway. If you've already made your car undrivable, you may as well do the lot. It really _isn't_ that bad.

Regards,

Saliya

matter of fact the pain relief is going to get used tonight stuff steps 9 through to 16.......no on second thoughts stuff them all

Anyone want to buy a slightly used GTR????

Edited by tacker
  • Like 1

Well bugger me if the turbo fairies didnt come last night and remove my turbos. Think i might have made a deal with them when i bellowed i would give anything if these F$%^ing turbos would come off

They did manage to drink all the pain relief i had at home and left the empties laying around the car. And the Missus is missing this morning as well, wonder if they took her as part of the deal. Which upsets me a little as now i have to pick up the empty beer cans myself.

• Like 1

Well bugger me if the turbo fairies didnt come last night and remove my turbos. Think i might have made a deal with them when i bellowed i would give anything if these F$%^ing turbos would come off

They did manage to drink all the pain relief i had at home and left the empties laying around the car. And the Missus is missing this morning as well, wonder if they took her as part of the deal. Which upsets me a little as now i have to pick up the empty beer cans myself.

Ha!! Now the turbo fairies will hold you to ransom as you have to get the turbos back on again.

As with all reassembly just reverse the deassembly steps.

You may have trouble getting past the first (last) couple of steps on your procedure. I believe the turbo fairies like a drink but then can't be bothered doing anything afterwards.

Fun Fun Fun.

ps I pulled the donk out of mine as my gorilla hands (and physique) just couldn't cut it with the engine in the car

They come out in the end and they will f%^&ing well go back in!

turbo fairies have been back in touch and they are willing to put them back in without a drink, if only i take the missus back!!!!

Wasnt sooo bad picking up empty beer cans so i am in 2 minds.

Edited by tacker

They come out in the end and they will f%^&ing well go back in!

turbo fairies have been back in touch and they are willing to put them back in without a drink, if only i take the missus back!!!!

Wasnt sooo bad picking up empty beer cans so i am in 2 minds.

Two things i gotta say....is she insured...the missus that is. :blush:

They never go back the way you wish they would...the turbo's that is. :ninja:

Keep the info coming.... :P

well i got that all arse about then

i insured the car

Missus has never been the same sice we were married or was when i got the GTR cant remember now.

Ps Chemist is all outa bandaids too