SAU Community

Which plugs are best?

What sparkplugs do you guys recommend I put in my car? I'm running slightly higher boost (10psi) so I'm thinking of 0.8mm gapped plugs. Do I have to buy 1.1mm and gap them myself or are there 0.8mm plugs for an R33 gtst available?

I'm pretty sure that NGK sell both .8mm gapped and 1.1mm gapped plugs. I think say for example BCPRE6E or what ever it is is gapped to .8mm and if the same BCPRE6E-11 or somthing is gapped at 1.1mm

I'm pretty sure but don't quote me Check NGK's WWW site there is a legend to tell you exactly what every letter and number means in the code.

Anyway I'm running or I will be soon the NGK's V Groove Coppers gapped to .8mm and they are 1 range cooler than normal plugs as I am running 14psi, it supposivly prevents detonation as there is less heat in turn you can run more advance with the higher boost levels.

Until I get the mods finished then I will slap a set of platiniums in.

Note with the heat range cooler apparently they can cause a little bit of a grumbly idle. I will find out i guess.

The difference is i guess that plats last up to 100,000kays for approx $100 for set where as for coppers they only last 10,000-20,000 kays for around $30 bucks a set.

Plus fiddling with those dodgy coils, I'd rather change every 100,000kays. :P

Originally posted by ONARUN

wow. so when i changed my plugs a few weeks back, the platinums i threw out were in there for 7 years!?

You had your 'Line for 7 years? wow!

Anyway I've asked around and the NGK Iridium plugs are the best. They last 100,000kms and come in gaps of .8, .9 and 1.1mm. The model number for the RB25DET is BKR5EIX so I'll be picking up a set of these tomorrow for $18.50 a plug. I hope they go well...

You're kidding yourself if you think platinums will last 100,000kms! I've gone through 2 sets since I've had my car, and i've only had it 2 years. If your car is like every other skyline out there and runs rich, you're not going to get any more than 20-30,000kms out of em before they start to lose their efficiency.

For $2.50-$3 each for copper ngk's, I know what I'll be using. Not sure how that works out to be $30 bucks!

My cars running 1.2-1.4 bar of boost, and I've had no problems with spark.

matt

Originally posted by -Joel-

The difference is i guess that plats last up to 100,000kays for approx $100 for set where as for coppers they only last 10,000-20,000 kays for around $30 bucks a set.  

Plus fiddling with those dodgy coils, I'd rather change every 100,000kays. :P

Should search around on SDU first as this question has been answered many times before in the past.

Basically as matlowth said, they do get fouled easily b/c of the fuel mixture, so coppers are the way to go...

The more expensive plugs dont give more power, but do last longer and use better conductors, so a copper plug needs a smaller gap so the spark can jump.

Higher boost also means you need a smaller gap, as does a colder heat rating spark.

If you dont have a heavily modded car, then the plug you want is NGK BCPR6ES.

They are gapped to .8 mm and will do the job well. Dont bother getting a colder plug BCPR7ES as I did. Because my car is stock (besides exhaust and boost), the colder heat rating dont work as well...

Zahos

I use NGK iridiums gapped to .8mm with 6 heatrange and they run really well. Cost about $18 each from autobahn. Haven't had any problems at all.

I run a front mount intercooler, exhaust and boost upped to 10PSI if that helps.

Well I went with the Iridiums that cost me $111 for the set. I decided on the iridiums simply cos I'm running a SAFC to fix the richness problem plus I'm running higher boost. I got the 0.9mm gapped plugs with a temp rating of 6. I'll probably end up taking them out every 20,000kms to clean them anyway so perhaps the coppers are the way to go...

i use ngk coppers... only 24 bux for a set of 6 and thats all you need! i read somewhere though that you gotta replace coppers every 10thou k's so. compared to the iridiums that i had (damn $80 too) its very good. one i use are NGK's BKR7E:- pre-gapped to 0.8 and one heat range colder.

I'm running NGK iriway 7's and they are awesome. I paid $18 each. They are not like the normal iridiums IX they come gapped at 0.6mm and come in colder heat ranges 7,8,9. NGK state that you shouldn't regap iridiums. If anyone wants a set of NGK IRIWAY, IRITOP, IRIMAC spark plugs drop me an email and i will hook you guys up. BTW I am not selling them i just know a guy who imports them. Also www.onautos.com.au sell the iridium IX plugs for $14.50 each anyone who pays more than that is getting ripped.

Actually the Iriway plugs come gapped at 0.8mm according to the tech at NGK Plugs that I spoke to yesterday, who read it straight out of their tech manual.

Originally posted by uLa32

i use ngk coppers... only 24 bux for a set of 6 and thats all you need! i read somewhere though that you gotta replace coppers every 10thou k's so. .

yeah you have to replace them every 10K's but at least you get to have new plugs every year as opposed to them sitting in there for five years and possibly going foul sooner than you might have planned due to a rich problem or oil getting in there.

how hard is it to replace plugs on the RB20 or RB25??

im gunah get a set of plugs at the next service before i start playin with boost levels again... should i

a) do it myself

B) take it to local garage/service centre

c) take it to performance tuner