SAU Community

Roll Cage For Track Use

tacker

Guys,

Just a quick question on roll cages for competative racing. I am struggling to find a 6 or 7 point cage with FIA approval here in Dubai.

Is there anyone in Australia making roll cages with FIA or CAMS approvals?

regards

not sure if you are aware but you will need the cage to be welded into the body to be FIA/CAMS compliant.

this means you'll have to take your car somewhere and get it put in. meaning im doubtful we here in aus will be able to help you.

not sure if you are aware but you will need the cage to be welded into the body to be FIA/CAMS compliant.

this means you'll have to take your car somewhere and get it put in. meaning im doubtful we here in aus will be able to help you.

Thats not really true. Bolt in cages can still comply with CAMS/FIA guidelines.

There are plenty of places around that will be able to help you out. The big players are the likes of Bond Roll Cages, Brown Davis, Malvern Motorsport, Meridian Motorsports etc etc.

Thats not really true. Bolt in cages can still comply with CAMS/FIA guidelines.

There are plenty of places around that will be able to help you out. The big players are the likes of Bond Roll Cages, Brown Davis, Malvern Motorsport, Meridian Motorsports etc etc.

hrmm was under the impression it was 'necessary' for it to be weld in?

dont spose you've got a copy of the specifications roy?

Guys,

I have just got off the phone with safety devices who are a very big builder of FIA cages in the UK.

And i am utter shocked to find that yes he can have a cage holmogated and then he can bend up the approved design and then post it to me and i can weld the little beastie up, then sign on the bottom of the certificate supplied and forward that to the FIA repesentative here in Dubai and i then have a FIA cage i built meself.........how silly is that! And that is straight from the horse's mouth too.

Top work Duncan...only best check the 2006 CAMS Handbook as the requirements have changed a little between 2005 and 2006.

I am guessing the driver behind CAMS making small chnages are a result of changes to FIA regs. But i did hear that some of the accidents at Targa etc were being looked at carefully with a view to revising the minimum requirements

Start Rant

Oh that really sh1ts me about CAMS.

You have to buy the annual manual when you renew your race license each year. Mine is up for renewal now, so I don't get my copy of the 2006 manual until August 2006

:(

What if there are changes in this or another section that affect me? Why not post out the manual to all licensees in November of the year prior so we all know what the bloody rules are

:ermm:

/end rant

Just got off the phone with Allan from Bond rollcages and he tells me its also the same in Australia except there you have to get a cams person to pass the welding.

He was very helpful and i think i will go with one of his cages.

• 1 month later...
Just got off the phone with Allan from Bond rollcages and he tells me its also the same in Australia except there you have to get a cams person to pass the welding.

He was very helpful and i think i will go with one of his cages.

you cant go wrong with bond. ive just ordered a 6 point for my r32. with that i can do tarmac rallys circiut whatever.

Update!

Ok after many funny phone calls to the Japanese auto federation (JAF) i have documented proof that the Cusco D1 7 point cage has the jaf approval, and as such they are an associated member of the FIA and therefore their approval carries FIA approval.

I purchase a 40mm crome moly 7 point bolt in cage from Cusco, and its a quality product i must say i will post some pic later but is was a purfect fit and was only a few hours to bolt it in.

And the price was Aus $ 1010 delivered to Dubai!

Regards

how much you paying john?

Update!

Ok after many funny phone calls to the Japanese auto federation (JAF) i have documented proof that the Cusco D1 7 point cage has the jaf approval, and as such they are an associated member of the FIA and therefore their approval carries FIA approval.

I purchase a 40mm crome moly 7 point bolt in cage from Cusco, and its a quality product i must say i will post some pic later but is was a purfect fit and was only a few hours to bolt it in.

And the price was Aus $ 1010 delivered to Dubai!

Regards

There are role cages in Australia that are CAMS “approved” but not FIA “approved”. My understanding is FIA approval is only required for “International” Events held under the FIA regulations (ie; with an FIA Permit). So a JAF approved cage may be OK for “local” events (ie: held under a JAF Permit), but not OK for “International” events.

The question you need to ask JAF

“is the Cusco D1 Cusco D1 7 point cage approved for events run under FIA Permits”

If they say yes, then you know it has FIA approval. If they say no, then it is only approved use in JAF events. Which is of course no use at all outside of Japan.

:P cheers :(

SK,

Your correct with your statements!

As we here in Dubai have to run all motor events with FIA permits ( except track days for some reason ). I am lead to believe insurance has some thing to do with it.

I have it from Fumihiko Obayashi from the JAF motor sport that these D1 cages are in complience with FIA regulation 253.8.1-8.3 appendix J. I even had the data sheet from Cusco translated to be sure of the statement FIA approved.

And i think that the D1 is an FIA sectioned event now.

I had the car passport done at the scruiteneering last week and the FIA tech guys passed the cage so i think i should be ok in that regard. But it must be the D1 as its the only one with this approval from JAF.

But all you say is correct, its just that we have to run with the FIA permits here as they run all Motor events here.

Regards

There are role cages in Australia that are CAMS “approved” but not FIA “approved”. My understanding is FIA approval is only required for “International” Events held under the FIA regulations (ie; with an FIA Permit). So a JAF approved cage may be OK for “local” events (ie: held under a JAF Permit), but not OK for “International” events.

The question you need to ask JAF

“is the Cusco D1 Cusco D1 7 point cage approved for events run under FIA Permits”

If they say yes, then you know it has FIA approval. If they say no, then it is only approved use in JAF events. Which is of course no use at all outside of Japan.

:) cheers ;)