Photo

R34 Coil Packs - What Are The Test Values? Help!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic
My RB25 has started dropping down onto 5 cylinders very randomly, which I initially thought was a misfire with the spark plugs. Used to happen under load 3500-5000rpm which prompted me to change the plugs...
Plugs didn't help, and now it seems more regular now and drives like a "lumpy V8" most of the time now instead of the few seconds it used to drop a cylinder....

During the painstaking process of changing the plugs, I quickly put the multimeter onto each coil and got:

Cylinder 1: 852 Ω
Cylinder 2: 903 Ω
Cylinder 3: 687 Ω
Cylinder 4: 809 Ω
Cylinder 5: 859 Ω
Cylinder 6: 851 Ω

Now, these figures seem very high compared to the series 1 RB25's, (0.7Ω is the norm?) but I believe my coil packs have the igniter built into them. (unlike the early RB25's which have the igniter inline before the coils)

I have a Japanese Engine manual, but couldn't find anywhere how to properly test these coils and what the normal values are.... Can anyone help? Cylinder 3 looks like the culprit....

Oh, and the ECU self-diagnosis mode shows up error number 21: Ignition Circuit - "No consecutive ignition signal while the engine is running"

Posted 20 May 2006 - 12:05 AM

• Car(s):Nissan Skyline R33 GTST
hey i know it was a few weeks ago now but if you sorted out the problem can you let me know what it was cause i have a very similar problem to this aswell.
Cheers iLEC

Posted 12 June 2006 - 05:11 PM

Succesful Traders - C & B, nate33t, BATMBL, gR33ddy, Slide, Madaz, Lazy-Bastard, CMYBNR34, JimX, sullivan_a, performance-wise

• Car(s):Skyline ER34 RB25DE
I got the same "Error 21" yesterday. the engine sounds as usual and but for the "Check engine" light I wouldn't have noticed any difference.

I'm going to run power balance check one of these days - hope it will help to find out whether the prob is in one of coils and in which one.

BTW, how to get to the coils and spark plugs on R34? I'm affraid that I won't fix the problem without getting to them, but I absolutely have no clue on how to remove part of intake manifold (and what exact part shall I remove to get there).

Edited by Kirill, 13 June 2006 - 09:05 PM.

Posted 13 June 2006 - 09:02 PM

• Car(s):R34 GTT
I have exactly the same problem and its driving me crazy! The engine check light comes on and it starts missing on one cylinder etc, and its is always a code 21 when i check it. The annoying part is that it is so random and it doesnt "stay" missing long enough for me to be able to check out what coil pack is playing up etc. Sometimes it will go for 3 weeks with out missing a beat, then other time it will do it 2 or 3 times in one day. Do you guys know, if there is anything else other than the coil packs, that will cause the engine check light to come on (code 21)?

Edited by Luke 34GTT, 13 June 2006 - 09:52 PM.

Posted 13 June 2006 - 09:50 PM

Bump

Posted 27 June 2006 - 10:06 PM

• Interests:Cars and bikes.
Look I've got no idea about the values you posted above but I can tell you that my coil packs died at a genuine 66,000 k's and having been around here for a few years now I can tell you that the R34 coil packs are quite likely to die between about 50,000 and 100,000 k's.

All you guys have the same issue.

Also I would not recommend getting second hand ones even though they may work fine now because eventually...

Splitfires are the way to go I'm sorry to say.

Posted 27 June 2006 - 10:28 PM

What does error code 21 mean?

Thanks

Edited by SunnyCoast, 17 October 2007 - 09:05 AM.

Posted 15 October 2007 - 02:09 PM

Bump!

Posted 16 October 2007 - 07:33 PM

• Car(s):MAD032 R32, TD42 GU Patrol
Coilpacks guys, mine died at 65000k's, for $500 you cant go wrong

Posted 16 October 2007 - 08:38 PM

• PLYNX
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
Tried to find the same basic issue with my car and wasnt sure if it was the coil packs and didnt want to lay out 500 odd bucks unnessesarily. So I pulled then out cleaned then and coated them with polyester resin. It turned out to be the problem even if I couldnt see the cracks. Fixed It a treat

Posted 16 October 2007 - 09:33 PM

Mine died just after 100k service

and I beleive it was number 3 that was faulty

Posted 16 October 2007 - 10:10 PM

Thanks

Posted 17 October 2007 - 12:56 AM

• Interests:Fishing,Golf,Cars and Historic Racing
  • Car(s):98 Nissan Skyline R34 GTT
Mine died at 73000, put new plugs(gapped at 1.1) and splitfires in and no more misfire.

Posted 17 October 2007 - 10:33 AM

• Car(s):Evolution VIII MR
sorry to sound like a noob...
just got an r34 NA two weeks ago...

how do we look for error codes from the ecu?

cheers

Posted 05 December 2007 - 10:57 PM

Want to join SAU NSW? CLICK HERE!

Forward motion: run as fast as you can and never look back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users