SAU Community

Stagea 5000km Service

Tangles

;) Hiya's all, after a little bit of info from you'se all!

My Stagea is due for a 5000km oil change, etc. Its done just under 5000kms since I bought it, but in that time Ive had a couple of dyno sessions, etc.

Id like to drop the oil, change it, and do the oil filter as well. Thats going to happen tomorrow (fri 7/4/6) when my castor bushes are installed and the suspn work retightened 9after the initial 100km rundown).

What oil would you all suggest? Im thinking Mobil 1? Also, is the oil filter the same as a standrad R33 one, and if thats the case, does anyone know the genuine Nissan part number?

Also, what else should be 'touched' at a basic 5000km oil change?

Cheers, Brendan

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Brendan, we only use Castrol lubricants in all the cars, so my Stagea has Edge 10W60 in it. At 5,000 k's I do the usual fluids check, radiator, auto trans, washer bottle fill, brake fluid, tyre pressures, ATTESA reservoir, all the globes (there is always one out somewhere, usually dash), brake pad thickness and brake hose condition. Then I do a quick whip around with the spanners and check the tightness of all of the non standard stuff. Lastly I make sure the wheel nuts can be removed by the female drivers (that's not more than 70 ft/lbs on the tension wrench).

:O cheers :D

PS; I also check the toe and camber settings, because I can ;)

Edited by Sydneykid

:O cheers :D

PS; I also check the toe and camber settings, because I can ;)

LOL :)

Ta mate! Thanks for that advice.

I know the globes are all good (besides one in the A/C dash area), and the tyres are 2 weeks old, so thats all good too. I'll ask him to have a quick look at the fluids of the car - cheers. With the toe and camber settings I'll leave that until I have a wheel alignment!

Query: is the castrol Edge better than mobile 1? I thought Mobile 1 was premium oil......... I used to use it in my V8 BT1 commodore.

Brendan

PS Gary - Got to say, Im a fan of the suspension components I bought from you - thank you very much again for all of that. The Bilstein shocks are a touch hard, but nice nonetheless; they have done 30kms now! And Im happy that Im using the standard springs. Heights are 370mm all round, so I might drop 1 circlip at each corner, eventually. The standard shocks were weeping, and basically rooted. Glad I did the group buy.

A touch hard, but f**k do they handle in twisty stuff! ;)

I use castrol GTX3 at the moment, but my next change will be with Synthetic R, it might be 3 times the price, but i do give it a pretty hard life, might as well spend that extra $10 a month and give her the best, so i can treat her like i do :thumbsup:

Aaahhh good ol Mobil 1. I remember my bike riding days in the mid 80's when we used Mobil 1 'cause a racer friend swore by it and it cost a little under $30 for 4L. But then good oil in those days was around $10-15. Then everyone else found out Mobil 1 was good, then the price went up to $40. Then $45. Stopped buying it then as a personal protest at the price. The rest is history and $30 looks cheap.

Bob Romano has seen a 30Hp increase on the dyno in large (old) V8s just with an oil change from basic oil to Mobil 1.

Brendon, The oil filter part no. is elsewhere on a thread. I believe RYCO is 145A.

I recently used a Fleetguard SF 3434 filter. $9, available from any industrial filter shop - trucking good quality. Oil was Nulon 10W40 cheap for 6L - you'll need 5 min.

cheers

Wazza

P.S Good idea to hose the subframe around the filter before pulling it off as I dont know of anyway you can avoid spilling some out of the filter when you undo it.

P.P.S The crush washer you will need for the sump plug is only about 12-13mm in dia.

Edited by 3intheBack

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys,

Just picked up my stagea and doing the once over.... first thing I have notcied is that the 4wd fluid in the back wagon section of the car is really low... i have some Castrol TQ Dexron III auto trans fluid... can anyone tell me if that suitable for the 4wd fluid? Would like to know so I can top it up????

Cheers

Hi Guys,

Just picked up my stagea and doing the once over.... first thing I have notcied is that the 4wd fluid in the back wagon section of the car is really low... i have some Castrol TQ Dexron III auto trans fluid... can anyone tell me if that suitable for the 4wd fluid? Would like to know so I can top it up????

Cheers

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...opic=61606&st=0

see page 1; reading that Id suggest that yeah your fluid would be suitable - I better check mine too!

or see alexcim's setup: http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...117723&hl=fluid

Edited by Tangles

I have used 'Penrite' oils for the last 10 years. I used it when I raced my RX2 as a club car for 4 years, that was a good test. Never had a need to change brands. Since owning the stagea I have used HPR 10 eng. oil. Have been quoted MGO75 for Attessa (am going to double check), SIN 75 for the diffs. I fitted DC tranny cooler 2day and topped up with SIN ATF.

• 1 month later...
:D Hiya's all, after a little bit of info from you'se all!

My Stagea is due for a 5000km oil change, etc. Its done just under 5000kms since I bought it, but in that time Ive had a couple of dyno sessions, etc.

Id like to drop the oil, change it, and do the oil filter as well. Thats going to happen tomorrow (fri 7/4/6) when my castor bushes are installed and the suspn work retightened 9after the initial 100km rundown).

What oil would you all suggest? Im thinking Mobil 1? Also, is the oil filter the same as a standrad R33 one, and if thats the case, does anyone know the genuine Nissan part number?

Also, what else should be 'touched' at a basic 5000km oil change?

Cheers, Brendan

I use Mobil synbthetics 15w/50. Castrol oils and mobil oils works very different from each other. And im not going to disscuss this over the forum w/o getting shot myself from people. All in all Castrol do not make their own oils :( . That infor is from years ago the sub contract it out. So that tells you all. And thats the only thing im prepared to say.

I have been using Mobil 1 synthetics for all my cars. My lancruiser even uses Mobil Super S anf now its clocking 200k on the dial and still smooth as silk.

Tnangles we can discuss this over MSN if you want later in the afternoon after i get back or if not tommorow.

hey stageagirl have a look at the groupbuy section for the quick change oil valve and you won't need to find/buy a crush washer ever again!!!

i think i worked out how to put in a link ? have a look here and see what ya reckon?

oh and by the way i agree with you on the ban stupid people, not dogs bit!

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...127757&st=0

Edited by oxford1327

I use Mobil synbthetics 15w/50. Castrol oils and mobil oils works very different from each other. And im not going to disscuss this over the forum w/o getting shot myself from people. All in all Castrol do not make their own oils :pirate: . That infor is from years ago the sub contract it out. So that tells you all. And thats the only thing im prepared to say.

I have been using Mobil 1 synthetics for all my cars. My lancruiser even uses Mobil Super S anf now its clocking 200k on the dial and still smooth as silk.

Tnangles we can discuss this over MSN if you want later in the afternoon after i get back or if not tommorow.

Fair enough - heard that myself on the grapevine too.

We used Penrite 5-60w oil.... seems the goods. Might go back to Mobile 1 when I do a highflow turbo, either that or Castrol Edge or the current Penrite stuff. Plenty of time tho, only do around 8000km per year. By the next oil change I hope to have one of the quick release valves too Ox!

Fair enough - heard that myself on the grapevine too.

We used Penrite 5-60w oil.... seems the goods. Might go back to Mobile 1 when I do a highflow turbo, either that or Castrol Edge or the current Penrite stuff. Plenty of time tho, only do around 8000km per year. By the next oil change I hope to have one of the quick release valves too Ox!

Mobil engine oil is able to absorb the carbon deposits from the engine keep the engine clean. thats why mobil oil wil always be black and gooy and castrol will be clean.

Mobil engine oil is able to absorb the carbon deposits from the engine keep the engine clean. thats why mobil oil wil always be black and gooy and castrol will be clean.

OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHH Yeah.

you should have seen it ! very very black and very gluggy.............. changed right on time. Theres no way Id allow oils to sit in a Rb engine for 10000kms now, no way. 5000km oil changes for sure.

my car has just about ticked over 65,000kms... i do the above mentioned services every 5000ks, but when should i be doing major services such as belts etc? to be honest this is the first car ive had that im concerned about servicing, just because theres a lot more that can go wrong, and a lot more expense if you let it go.

What should i be booking it in for, and when?

Ive noticed it sometimes has dramas (often, nearly) with idling, and driving around carparks, that the revs like to drop right down to the point where powersteering goes real tight, and it takes a bit to pick up when i feed it a little throttle...

stock BOV over here. my engine is factory. DID have a boost guage, just for about a month, but have since removed and returned vac to standard. no pod.

So it beats me! thinking it may be a busted vac line somewhere, but can see anything...

I have a sticker under the bonnet that tells me about belts and the km's they should be changed. Timing belt needs to be done at 100,000kms :D I'll start saving now :P My car has 70,000kms... probably needs a timing belt now eh :D