SAU Community

Rear Taillights

AMS

Hey Crew,

Talking to a guy from a local smash repairs shop today. I mentioned to him about my plans to get clear front and side indicators and also some Series 2 Taillights...

He was saying that often there is other options to turn the orange into clear without buying a whole new part. These are the options he said -

- Shaving the orange plastic untill you hit a clear layer

- Baking them (:D)

- Cutting off the orange plastic and getting a clear mould made up, then simply joining the two together

- Or just tinting them

What are your thoughts? Would any of them work at all?

Rear.jpg

I dont like the orange... ewww

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i'm tinting mine very soon, decided to make them darker as opposed to getting the covers.

Should look a lot better too with the other things l'm doing.

Sounds good. Make sure you shoot us loads of pics! :D

What are you using to tint them?

Sounds good. Make sure you shoot us loads of pics! :D

What are you using to tint them?

I will. If possible l'll try n drop it off this week and get it done & the wing put on at the same time (and the colour coding).

Will be using 2pak black paint. Just do light coats til u get the desired look, then clear it.

The thought of blacker lights on a white car should look good, esp with the contrast from the black window tint.

Edited by [ STAGEN ]

i'm getting a set of series 2 lights from japan sent over, should be here in a week. they cost me just over $500 including postage. a couple of sets i saw went for over $600, not including postage to Aus, i just got lucky in the auctions

I GUESS IF YOU'VE GOT THE MONEY GO THE SERIES 2 LIGHTS.

WE COULDN'T HAVE BEEN BOTHERED TRYIN TO FIND SOME SO WE JUST SMOKED OURS.

I MUST SAY NOW THAT WE DID IT, I'D MUCH PREFER THEM SMOKED TO THE SERIES 2 LIGHTS.

BUT I SPOSE THATS JUST A PERSONAL CHOICE...

ANYWAYZ HERE'S A PIC.post-25826-1139035536.jpg

how much did smoking the lights cost you? that's looks awesome!

might smoke my old series 1 lights and see how they compare to my series 2 ones, then get rid of whichever i don't like

WE JUST USED A TIN OF THAT NIGHTSHADES STUFF.

IF YOU DO IT MAKE SURE YOU CLEAN EM UP GOOD FIRST.

I THINK WE DID ABOUT 3-4 LIGHT COATS TIL WE GOT THE DESIRED DARKNESS WE LIKED.

I THINK THE TINS COST ABOUT $18-$20 BUCKS.

ONE THING IS THEY LOOK DULL TIL YOU HIT EM WITH SOME KANUBA WAX OR CAR POLISH.

I THINK IT COMES UP PRETTY SWEET MYSELF...

I've already got clear front and side, so i figured clear S2 lights were the next thing to get.

Although i am planning a paint colour change, so maybe smoked would suit i too, i guess time will tell

I GUESS IF YOU'VE GOT THE MONEY GO THE SERIES 2 LIGHTS.

WE COULDN'T HAVE BEEN BOTHERED TRYIN TO FIND SOME SO WE JUST SMOKED OURS.

I MUST SAY NOW THAT WE DID IT, I'D MUCH PREFER THEM SMOKED TO THE SERIES 2 LIGHTS.

BUT I SPOSE THATS JUST A PERSONAL CHOICE...

ANYWAYZ HERE'S A PIC.post-25826-1139035536.jpg

So thats not illegal at all?

hey krissy that looks crazy, wayyy better than clear shittas :(

just wondering how visable the actual brake/tail lights are when iluminated in the day and at night?

any chance of a pic in the day and one at night as too how bright the lights are when behind that nightshades, as im thinking thats the next thing ill do if they still iluminate enough to stop hassles from cops, etc :P

cheers

Brad

its very illegal, i got defected in my pulsar when i tinted its tail lights, and they gave me 48hrs to get the defect fixed and cleared :(

well, depends on the darkness i reckon, as with earlier commodores like vl's they have bright as orange lights on the executives and darker tinted looking lights on the calais, and they get away with it.

i think mums taxi's ones are abit too dark and cops would not pass it im 99.9% sure. the lights dont even look visable if lite up.

maybe a more sutle (sp?) look with only a few coats and still not totally black might be abit safer against potential police hassles.

i got a funny feeling almost every stagea on here will have tinted taillights after seeing the pics :lol: people will begin to think its standard fitment on series 1's and series 2 have the clear lights haha

well, depends on the darkness i reckon, as with earlier commodores like vl's they have bright as orange lights on the executives and darker tinted looking lights on the calais, and they get away with it.

i think mums taxi's ones are abit too dark and cops would not pass it im 99.9% sure. the lights dont even look visable if lite up.

maybe a more sutle (sp?) look with only a few coats and still not totally black might be abit safer against potential police hassles.

i got a funny feeling almost every stagea on here will have tinted taillights after seeing the pics  :lol:  people will begin to think its standard fitment on series 1's and series 2 have the clear lights haha

hahaha True that. Well I'm thinking of just doing some light coats...

Wouldnt want them to be too dark on a black car now would we :(

production cars are always going to get away with a defect that comes standard, although your probably right in saying that if you put a light coat on then you may possibly get away with it.

i still call it "defect in a can", but it does make a car look great.

yea stops em from goin dull.

pretty easy to do when you think bout, saves sum money too.

yea of course it's illegal if you've got em that black you can't see any colour at all.

but if you look closely at my pic you can still see that there is colour behind it.

post-25826-1139569678.jpg

here's the pic I said I would post up with the lights on at night.

i've actually been flagged in by the police 3 times for random breath tests and they haven't even noticed the tail lights.

i don't think they know any different.

not that many stageas around here.