SAU Community

Spark Plugs

R33S2

I did a search and came back with 100+ results soooo...

I know there are three different types of plugs

Copper

Platinum

Iridium

I have heard of gaps from 0.8 to 1.1

Platinum and Iridium last longer but how much under normal driving?

I met a fellow member and he uses coppers every 10k.

Mine are Iridiums and they've lasted 100k.

I have learnt that the gap depends on the boost you are running, for stock the gap is 1.1mm if you are running 12psi or above 0.8 is recomended, as for plugs there is no perfomance gain to be gained from any but the life of the plug is greatly increased with platinum (80,000ks) and better still with iridium (100,000-160,000ks) compared to coppers which are recomended to change at 5,000ks although some say they last to 10,000 upto 40,000, if you can change them yourself go the coppers recomended below, I am using iridiums and they have been in there for 100,000k now and still good, I know because I keep pulling them out when something else stuffs up. Price wise they arent worth it really, I have been told that they are good in motors where changing the plugs are an absolute pain.

Generally speaking if a plug has a higher number than another it runs a colder heat range. eg. BCPR6ES ..... BCPR7ES colder plugs are good for preignition troubles.

Boost effects spark gap at 12 psi and above, the gap narrows down to 0.8.

FOR COPPER

They are good to 5k last at least 10k up to 40k

NGK for RB25det................. BKR6EYA or Platimum PFR5G-11

NGK for rb20/26det............. BCPR6ES or Platimum PFR6A-11

NGK for RB25NEOdet............ BCPR6ES or Platimum PFR6A-11

For PLATINUM

Good to 80k

NGK for RB25det................. PFR5G-11

NGK for rb20/26det............. PFR6A-11

NGK for RB25NEOdet............ PFR6A-11

NGKs Website

For IRIDIUM

Good to 150k

NKG for RB25det................ BKR5EIX-11

NKG for RB25neo............... BKR6EIX-11

NKG for RB20/26det........... BCPR6EIX-11

Denso for Rb25det............. IK20

Denso for Rb25det.. cold.... IK22

And go Here for a good SAU price on the Iridium plugs.

If you change your plugs and still have misfire isssues especially around the 3,000 - 5,000 rpm range it could be your coil packs are stuffed, its fairly common considering mine was 10 yrs old when mine started arcing out. Splitfire coilpacks are the best replacement and you can get a great deal from Dan (if he gives me a link)

• Like 1

NGK BKR6E -8

I think thats if off the top of my head, but they come gappd at .8 which is what i use. they are around $2 each and i change them when i change the oil every 5k

ok...I just did the biggest lot of finding this week...

Normal plugs for a Skyline RB25det -

You want the BKR6EYA's.

If you want to go a colder heat range, and stay in Copper, and NGK, get the BKR7E's.

As for Denso, IK20's for Iridium (Same as NGK "6" heat range) or the IK22's for Iridium Denso plugs (same as NGk's "7" heat range)

Denso copper - K20R-U - (same as NGK's "6" heat range)

Denso copper - K22PR-U (same as NGK's "7" heat range)

Use this tool, its the best I have ever seen.

http://www.denso.com.au/sparkplug/xref

Good luck finding any of the denso's you are after though.

here's a few tips also -

1. If the plug has a "-11" on the end, its gapped to 1.1 mm. If it has nothing on the end like this, its 0.8mm - 0.9mm gap.

2. Some have longer necks than others so be careful.

3. If you're running high boost and are running into pre-ignition problems, try "7" heat range (colder plugs) or 22 heat range in denso.

Updated iridium section

I'm hoping that when I get a complete listing that I can this stickyed in the app section.

Posted by WRXHOON in another thread

platinum and iridum plugs are better cause the tip is only .6 mm and u get much better spark . the reson the nickel plugs tip is thicker is cause if they made it that thin it would only last a few k's platinum and especialy iridium are much harder so last a lot longer .

typical life , nickel 30k k's , platinum 100 , iridium 150.

probably less in a turbo gtr driving it hard less still but still 5 times longer than nickel .

And this by MegaGTS4 Here

Bosch recommends when installing spark plugs to use a torque wrench and the correct torque in ft.-lbs. As listed below:

10mm With Gasket - 8-11 FT.-LBS

12mm With Gasket - 12-15 FT.-LBS

14mm With Gasket - 19-22 FT.-LBS

14mm Tapered Seat - 12-15 FT.-LBS

18mm With Gasket - 20-23 FT.-LBS

18mm Tapered Seat - 14-17 FT.-LBS

If a torque wrench is not available, hand tighten the plug until it is seated in the cylinder head. Spark plugs with gaskets should be tightened an additional 90°. Spark plugs with tapered seats should be tightened an additional 15°.

This PDF file shows how to read the faces of used standard electrode plugs: here

MEGA

what happens if you put the plugs in too tight?

I didn't really know how tight to put them in so I tightened them up pretty tight. Don't want them working loose?

Worst case scenario would be that you could strip the thread which would mean removing the head and then using a helicoil I guess :)

I am runnin iriway7's in my rb20

i just put new ones in the other did about 30k...but there was nothin wrong with em...just thought i would see how the change went.. Dont know the gap...but they seem to be real good.

Hi,

Can i use 0.8 gap for a fairly stockish engine?

or is it only suitable for mod engine?

what is the gap for stock Plug? and what is the purpose of shorten the gap?

please shead some lights thanks

cheers,

darrien

If you are going to use a .8 plug then i would use a colder plug say a 7 in ngk, in the others i am not sure....but anything to hot and to close will cause detination.

If you are going to use a .8 plug then i would use a colder plug say a 7 in ngk, in the others i am not sure....but anything to hot and to close will cause detination.

That is a very bold statement to make. Do you have any evidence/theories etc to back that claim up?

Not having a go its just that a LOT of people run NGKs with a .8 gap and a heat range of six. It would be pretty fair to guess that its the most common plug configuration for an RB powered car that is running above standard boost. ( throw in coilpacks ageing and even standard boost cars run .8mm)

From what I've reseached so far the standard gap for copper is .8 and Iridium/Platinum is 1.1 some have shortened the gap to .8 in the I/P plugs due to high boost (12+psi) due to the spark being blown out by that much boost and the shorter gap fixed the problem, so it speaks for itself.