SAU Community

Power Fc With Auto - Does It Work?

Alright let's pop open that can of worms...

Through lots of reading on here over time, I have got the impression that the official line is that the pfc doesn't work with the auto's on the Skyline.

However I have also come across a few threads now and again with people claiming that it works fine with an auto. There has been one on here recently, that's got me thinking YET AGAIN on a topic that I thought was dead and buried. However through lots of searching, I still haven't got a DEFINITIVE answer to ease my mind.

I have read paulr33's very good faq on the product as seen here:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...opic=64201&st=0

Still hasn't convinced me however :lol:

My car is a series 1 r33 auto, and I need to get rid of this itch.

So I would like peoples reponses to the following:-

1) who has tried or is running a PFC in their auto and it works? Was it an auto rebuild or the original? Any problems at all you have to live with?

2) who has tried the PFC in their auto and it hasn't worked? What were the problems?

3) What is the most common(read cheapest) full ecu that people put in their auto skyline if it's not the Power FC? I'd go for a piggy-back as a last resort at the moment.

Many thanks.

mods please close it, this has been aruged over and over and over and over

the faq cleary states the reasons for the auto and why it isnt supported. end of story

Mate I meant no disrespect, but I still haven't found a definitive answer. Point me to a post where someone has said, Yes I have done this and the gear changing was lumpy. Why do people still post that it does work, when others say it does not. My searching has been thorough however I am still to come to a conclusion. If it definitely doesn't work once and for all, then what is the next recommendation.

So if you could help me please, then I would gratefully appreciate it.

Cheers.

Ok my first post probably wasn't very nice but this has been covered so many times. Like all the BOV questions, over and over they are all the same and they have been covered to death. A search should have given all the info needed and the unofficial faq too.

It works, the ecu turns on, the car runs, it will idle and drive, the wheels will turn and the car will accelerate. on gearchanges it wont cut the timing (which the stock ecu does) and it results in jerky gearchanges. this will put extra stress on the gearbox and shorten its life. if you dont care about the gearbox and the jerky change then "it works". the people i assume who are reporting it "working" don't care about the shortened life span and stress its putting on the gearbox or they simply don't know about it, and think all is well. how jerky are the gearchanges? im not sure but they would be worse than stock, it may also seem to hold onto gears longer the normal as the timing (presumably among other things) isn't altered during a gear change. Think how much stuff occurs in a manual when you change a gear, this needs to occur.

1) it will work and run. jerky gearchanges and shortened gearbox life

2) jerky gearchanges and shortened gearbox life

3) piggyback only for skyline. none of the aftermarket ecus support auto's. or switch to a mechanical autobox instead

My car is a series 1 r33 auto, and I need to get rid of this itch.

So I would like peoples reponses to the following:-

1) who has tried or is running a PFC in their auto and it works? Was it an auto rebuild or the original? Any problems at all you have to live with?

2) who has tried the PFC in their auto and it hasn't worked? What were the problems?

3) What is the most common(read cheapest) full ecu that people put in their auto skyline if it's not the Power FC?

4. I'd go for a piggy-back as a last resort at the moment.

Many thanks.

My experiences;

1 & 2. I have driven 4 X R33 GTST autos with aftermarket ecu's, all of them had owners that claimed they were OK. I found them to have clunky gearchanges at low throttle openings, lots of slip into 2nd gear at full power, flairing on 2nd to 3rd gearchange etc. The more power they had the worse it was, harsh gearshifts and premature wear. So far, 3 of the 4 have had gearbox rebuilds, the logical burnt out belts and clutch packs. Of the 4, only one had the auto upgraded with a valve body, it just made the gearchanges even harsher. But it hasn't needed a rebuild, yet. It also had large oil cooler same as mine.

3. One car had a Wolf plug in, it ran the worst. One had a Power FC, it ran the best. Another had a rechipped manual ecu, it ran OK. I can't remember what was in the 4th one, maybe a Microtech or a Link. They all cost pretty much the same (~$1400) all up, including fitting and tuning.

4. After driving these, for the Stagea I decided on a DFA (Apexi SAFC equivalent) to fix the A/F ratios and an Apexi SITC to tune the ignition timing. No loss of gearchange quality and no slipping so far.

Hope that helps

:D cheers :(

PS; I strongly suggest that if you find someone who says that their auto is OK with an aftermarket ECU, that you go and test drive it yourself. Jetstar will get you interstate cheaply and save a lot of heartache later.

Edited by Sydneykid

I think MV Automatics have a solution for running PFC with autos, makes the gearbox operate manually but atleast it works. Maybe should contact them if you want more info.

I tried one of those, not in a Skyline though. It tuned it into a clutchless manual, so I had to lift off the throttle during the gearchanges. You don't get ignition retard/cut on the gearchanges (no logic in the ecu) so you make up for it by lifting off the throttle. Otherwise I assume the same jerky shift and slipping/premature wear problems would occur.

With a valve body, belt and clutch pack upgrade and a high stall speed torque converter it would make a great drag gearbox. But not for me, in a road car.

I believe another option is the Autronic with the auto.... but thats around $2500.....

Same problem, no gearshift logic programmed into the ECU for igniton cut on gearchanges. Motec is the same, so is AEM Bosch etc.

I was told by a Nissan engineer that there is more programming code in the auto shift logic than there is in the whole mapping to run the engine. That's why no ECU makers can afford to spend that amount of time/money on programming. They would have to sell the auto ECU's for ten of thousands of dollars and no one would pay.

Apexi have a Power FC for some models of auto Toyotas, but their auto ecu to engine ecu relationship is totally different to Nissans.

Great info Gary.... my tuners seemed to suggest that they could get it to work, but if that involves frying gearboxes then Im not intrested!!!

Im pretty happy with the 160awkw Ive got from the SAFC / SITC combo.... thats a great start for tuning an automatic RB25DET.

closed, on the basis this has been done many times and SK is just repeating himself along with others.

Just because the info people post isnt what you wanna hear, doesnt mean they are wrong, or the answer is going to change 4 weeks later