SAU Community

Optimax Extreme (100ron + 5% Ethanol)

Zahos

Shell has released a new fuel Optimax Exteme.

It is at least 100RON blended with 5% ethanol.

The shell near my house stocks this fuel and I filled up a tank thinking it was regular optimax.

Anyhow, my car stalled, and jerked continuously. It would not start at times, and just ran like crap!!!

I highly recomend you do NOT use this fuel in your skyline, or any high performance nissan!

I took this from the subaru website, and I guess this also applies to forced induction Nissans also...

All model year Liberty B4 and Impreza WRX STi MY99-00 models may experience starting and or drivability concerns if ethanol blended fuel of any level is used and therefore we do not recommend its use.

For a list of Shell servo's that stock this fuel, visit the shell australia website, and follow the optimax extreme links....

Z

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive used 10% Ethanol blended fuel rated at 98ron, and it was SMOOTH-AS (it was say half a tank of E98 and half tank of BP 98) in my RB25det.

But I wouldnt use E-blended fuel all that much, only in half tank lots every now and then.

Brendan

Apparently if you want top performance on regular pump fuel you'll actually find these ethanol blended fuels provide the best performance as long as you get a TOTAL retune. Else I'd probably steer clear as if you have a highly tuned car it will lean out alot more using an e10 or e5 fuel.

well when i was at 1/4 of a tank, i filled up with regular 98RON optimax, and within 1km of driving, all my problems were solved.

Nissan recomends you dont use it, I have provided my experience with this fuel, Just trying to warn others...

Edited by Zahos

I used a full tank of E10 fuel(10% ethanol) and the car ran great,but my current tune is a little rich.Can someone PLEASE post up Shell servos that have 100 octane fuel in Melbourne.I'm going to tune both my Nissans for this fuel.

I'll be following this thread to hear about peoples experiences before I fill up with the stuff. I've got a stock ECU with a couple of mods, so it runs rich as anyway....

I used a full tank of E10 fuel(10% ethanol) and the car ran great,but my current tune is a little rich.Can someone PLEASE post up Shell servos that have 100 octane fuel in Melbourne.I'm going to tune both my Nissans for this fuel.

http://www-static.shell.com/static/au-en/d...ite_extreme.pdf

It states it in there.

Extensive tests were done, some of which were displayed in a recent issue of Zoom of HPI (can't remember which). Basically, it needed some serious retuning; heavy increase in fuel, as it is less dense, and a huge advance of the timing, with a 16 rwkw increase over normal 98 ron fuel.

ummm.... 100ron.... aint japanesse fuel an even higher rating... why would our cars have a problem with it........ obviously its just tuning... reset the ecu should be fine... it will return to factory specs... as in japanesse factory specs where the fuel is a higher octane rating...

as for the ethonol... the media gave it the name its got...... id rather see the FACTs on this fuel.. strait from the product producer..... i dont think it would do much damage at all.... and seriously guys.... most of you would rebuild you engine before the effects this fuel supposably has are noticed....

of course with progameable ecus you would retune the car when using a higher octane fuel... especially if you want to take advantage of the higer octane.... your stupid to think a totally differant fuel wouldnt cause problems.

ummm.... 100ron.... aint japanesse fuel an even higher rating... why would our cars have a problem with it........ obviously its just tuning... reset the ecu should be fine... it will return to factory specs... as in japanesse factory specs where the fuel is a higher octane rating...

b/c of the ethanol

and seriously guys.... most of you would rebuild you engine before the effects this fuel supposably has are noticed....

Is this comment based on more research, or again is your arse doing all the talking?

How can you determine how often people will re-build their engines?? and secondly, by making that comment you basically admit that you think ethanol WILL cause damage.

Edited by Zahos