SAU Community

R33 Sii - My Gt30 Upgrade Is Done. Lots Of Pics

Hi guys. Me and my fabricator friend finally have installed the Garrett GT30 with .63 (vg30) housing.

Here are a heap of pics of our progress.

Car on the hoist..

3.jpg

The dump that I love...

1.jpg

2.jpg

All the old bits come off..

4.jpg

The GT30..

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Removing the old turbo

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

Turbo Comparison

12.jpg

13.jpg

Looks like I've been running some fuel additives.....

14.jpg

This is my mates own car.. lol I rode in the back for obvious reasons (he's getting his seats covered)

15.jpg

The Q45 AFM is a LOT bigger than the standard one eh?

16.jpg

17.jpg

My mate Tiging a new nossle on the GT30 comp cover

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

Edited by The Mafia

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bit blurry but, where is my turbo?!! lol

21.jpg

This is under my mates bonnet.

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

The GT30 on its new home, adding the oil and water lines. This is about the hardest part!! They are bastards to organise\make\get on

25.jpg

New pod Divider.. lol well the template

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

Turbo on and a few adjustments

31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

A nicely wrapped dump pipe. f**k I love that dump. Its a work of art. (my mate made it from a pair or flanges and some bends). The thermal wrap is wired on.

34.jpg

35.jpg

The dump is bolted on and stray lines hooked up

36.jpg

37.jpg

The hole in the Divider is cut (with a plasma cutter.. fark they are cool..can blow holes in all sorts of shit)

38.jpg

Cleaning up the sharp edges..

39.jpg

Getting there...

40.jpg

Edited by The Mafia

Tightening a few hose clamps

41.jpg

42.jpg

ok, heres the finished product.

43.jpg

44.jpg

45.jpg

ok...I have a few problems....

I have set the Q41 (90mm) option in the PFC but the car won't idle.. I have tried adding and taking fuel and ignition from the load point that the car idles at but no luck ;)

WOuld anyone have any ideas whys wrong? I'm going to get the car to a tuner very soon, but it might take a little while... Tuner is booked.

Checked for vacuum leaks, loose shit and just general stuff and everything is in order... so yeah, I'm stumped.. Are there any settings that I coukldadjust that I may have missed?

anyway... If anyone has any questions at all about this upgrade, ask away, I'll answer my best.

This took us 2 full days.

Edited by The Mafia

i see the plenum but have never seen one like that before where did you get that and how does it work and improve for power

thats on my mates car, and he made that himself. I guess 2 TB's flow more than one.

oh and Paul, a BIG THANKS for the your website! I used it to help me do my car.

as Crazymn said, car goes fine when throttle above 1,000rpm... but won't idle :D

damn thing ..

Edited by The Mafia

no problems dude. glad to be a help, if theres shit wrong or any info you can think to add let us know and ill put it up. nothing wrong than have info thats slightly out or wrong. did you use the q45 wiring ok or already knew how to do it? have u considered doing factory reset of the pfc and then let it do its base idle crap to try and learn it again? if your getting it tuned it may not be a bad idea to have the stock maps loaded. if you do reset it, be sure to set q45 and boost controller kit off before you crank it over the first time. let us know if you try this and it works

Some very nice pictures and was great to compare as i just put a 2535 on yesterday. The front of that turbo is huge compared to the stocky.

One question, are you only using the little whole in the air box to get your cold air?

no problems dude. glad to be a help, if theres shit wrong or any info you can think to add let us know and ill put it up. nothing wrong than have info thats slightly out or wrong. did you use the q45 wiring ok or already knew how to do it? have u considered doing factory reset of the pfc and then let it do its base idle crap to try and learn it again? if your getting it tuned it may not be a  bad idea to have the stock maps loaded. if you do reset it, be sure to set q45 and boost controller kit off before you crank it over the first time. let us know if you try this and it works

I am going to get back to you about the AFM wiring, as yours is a little confusing and the example rb25 one is completely different to mine.. maybe cause its a SII ? Not sure but the wire colours are different. I'll get the exact wiring for you a little later on.

lol no biggy, jus a couple of blown fuses..

I don't really want to reset the ecu... after that tune they did... But I guess its pretty useless now hey?

maybe I should plot it out in an excel spreat sheet before I reset it for other people to use?

its a 210 rwkw tune, awesome power. Just needs the out of boost points tuned as per your comments in the other thread.

Some very nice pictures and was great to compare as i just put a 2535 on yesterday.  The front of that turbo is huge compared to the stocky. 

One question, are you only using the little whole in the air box to get your cold air?

lol done with my camera phone (v3 razr)

yeah, there is only the little "factory intercooler plumbing hole" in the "air box area" at the moment, I'll have to find a way to route some air to it.

I will admit, it doesn't sound as good as my other setup (stock turbo, with stainless turbo duct and shield etc) that spooling sound was sweet

Edited by The Mafia

Nice work, and great report :D.

Are you using factory injectorsand rail? If not, what are you using?

Is it possible that at idle the q45 airflow meter is not generating enough voltage for the ecu to recognise?

Give us an update on the final result, once it has been tuned.

ok let us know the colours or what not. the rb25 wiring should be the same, i dont think it was different for series 1 or 2, i know it had differnet coulour afm label, pink vs green. didnt realise wiring was different. let us know what you have, ill check mine and then update the doco

I will admit, it doesn't sound as good as my other setup (stock turbo, with stainless turbo duct and shield etc) that spooling sound was sweet

I've recently moved to a turbo that doesn't have the surge ring or what ever it is directly in front of the compressor wheel as the RB20 and RB25 turbo's do.

This turbo is so so quiet, I can only hear a slightly whistle as its on boost.

The old stock turbo was damn noisy, big loud whooshing sucking noises.

Looks awesome.. Be sure to inform us of the spool characteristics.

Maybe take a vid of how she spools under general driving.

yeah, there is only the little "factory intercooler plumbing hole" in the "air box area" at the moment, I'll have to find a way to route some air to it.

Why dont you bore out your factory intercooler hole. You'd want this bigger than your turbo inlet.