SAU Community

Climate Control

Haysey

Ive searched and searched...

anyways i managed to take my climate control apart in my 32 and took the lights out.. they seem to be small lights with blue covers on them....

went to jaycar for some 3mm leds and put them in but they blew right away....

anyone got any other suggestions?

thanks

ed

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

$16?? Do you have a pic of one of the bulbs? Or can you take a pic of one next to a 5c piece?

I'm about to do the same thing in my R33, and there's no chance i'm paying that much for those globes.

Don't forget that Nissan are the same people that want $189 for an 02 sensor! ;op

the globes are very small,and u cannot get anything like them in aus.belive me i tried,plus the small blue plastic caps on each bulb which give the white/green colour are almost allways melted on and impossible to remove without splitting them.i think the only option is LED.

ill post up a pick in the next day or so.

Simon,i dont think the jaycar city store have the facillities to solder the resistors and leds in...im sure they would gladly work out the risistor value needed but u would have to solder it yourself unless u took it to an auto/electrician and paid them.

They would likely charge 1 hour labour which would cost around $60-80 so it would be cheaper to get the bulbs!

the bulb caps are not green..they are blue and thats how nissan achived the pale green/white look they give off.the only green lights are the two LEDs to the far right which are the demister and circulate buttons.; )

By the way you can replace the light which is in the drivers power window button.

not many people know its there as they are often blown by the time we get the car over here..i got one from jaycar for $2.95 and its been goin strong for a year now!

Be carefull when you remove the blue cap as they easily split, then it wont match up to the rest of your dash lights!

OMG! I pulled my climate control unit out (EASY!) when I put my stereo in a couple of days ago. I actually unscrewed those two bulb and looked at them, stuck them back in and left it at that.

I thought they were bulbs until I saw the rubber cap on them... that woud just insulate the heat of the globes.

Now I know that they are the bulbs, I might pull the caps off and have a look at the globe. Anyone else seen them with the caps off? The globes are definately not little wedge bulbs or anything?

there are more than just two..infact too get at all the bulbs you will need to take apart the climate control box itself.inside you will find another four or so (cant remember exactly)

check out the car audio australia forums where there is a very recent thread on wiring up LEDs in series using 12volts and a few well placed resistors.

these LEDs will be the only practical replacement for the bulbs,unless you don't mind paying $16 per bulb!

oh ok! I started pulling the box apart, got to the PCB and thought again... there wasn't much I could do about it without replacement bulbs. =-[

So the two on the side that I unscrewed without dismantling anything... what do they light up? My Commodore had a similar deal with using a few bulbs to light up an entire panel of switches, so I thought that was what it was doing, as ALL my bulbs in the A/C unit do not light up. (except the demister green rectangle and something else the same)

OK, it DOES have that setup that I mentioned above.

I just noticed driving last night, that since I unscrewed, inspected and re-installed the TWO bulbs (accessible withought opening anything) that exactly half of my climate control unit is now lit up!

Basically all the buttons on the left run off one bulb (up to and including the temp down button) and all the buttons on the right run off the other. Turns out that one of my bulbs was fine, but had a loose contact.

Randy, Do you have a picture of the globe, im sure I could source them globes cheaper then $16 each.... Sounds like nissan is having a go at its customers.

We have some good suppliers, im sure we could find a globe to match.

Cheers

Sumo

P.S. Dodgy auto electricans will charge an hours labour for a 15 min job. Honest ones dont.