SAU Community

Gtr Engine Stuffed?

IOWNU

Hey guys,

First a rundown of the facts.

Recently, had a GTR imported, found that the turbos weren't working (found the turbine wheel from one of the turbos in the cat)

Bought N1 turbos, sent the car off to the mechanic to get fitted.

Today went to pick up the car, the mechanic finished the work when I was there, he took the car round the block real slow (exhaust still wasn't attached, so no more than 40km/hr) Before he left there was an obvious water/oil leak, mechanic said it was the turbo oil n water lines, and that he needed me to get some.

Anyways....mechanic was coming back down the road, where the car sorta seized, stalled. Now, we can't start the car. Another near by mechanic came past and says most likely engine is buggered......i don't know, it won't even start. My other GTR made this tapping sound (bottom end bearing) when i blew it, this one won't even start....so im a little confused.

The car was driving fine when i picked it up from the port.....just no BOOST, as the turbos weren't working. Now the engine doesn't start....

Anyways my question is this, has the engine died (if its is indeed dead) because of the mechanic, or some fault on his behalf while he was installing the new turbos? OR.....because it was running high levels of boost in japan? (indicative from the blown turbos, and presence of a boost controller with no other mods.)

Any help would be much appreciated.

Edited by IOWNU

Normally even a motor that has been dusted by the ceramic fagments of a turbine wheel it will still run, it sounds more like something else has happened to stop the car(ignition problem etc) i would start by seeing if your got and spark etc and work from there.

Hmm maybe.

I sure hope its something like that.

I'm surprised that the motor would pack itself, it seemed to be driving well prior to the installation of the turbos. Although maybe I couldn't tell coz there was no forced induction.

can you hear the starter motor and everything?

My rb26 stopped a few weeks ago.. i was only at 2000rpm when it died.. 2 pistons were basically melted and the rings were gone.

when i went to start it all i could hear was the starter motor and it wouldnt turn over

Dude is this the red beast you posted pics on the other week?

Say it aint so! :D

And if you were eluding to suing the mechanic you'd have to prove negligence on his part. It'd be an expensive court case which would be really hard to win.

Doesn't sound good. Can you turn the motor over? Test it with a long bar not with the starter motor as you might have hydralic lock by now and you will bend rods using the starter. Pull all the plugs and check for water.

at the risk of asking the odvious

if it was leaking oil, did it leak out ALL the oil and seize the motor? if your mechanic was driving it and KNEW it had a oil leak, and drove the car until it ran out of oil, which caused the engine to sieze you could have a case.

Dude is this the red beast you posted pics on the other week?

Say it aint so! :)

yeah.. but will be back on the roads in 2 weeks.. much better then ever :) got lots of goodies for her today ;)

if you think its run out of oil and seized then fix the leak, fil it with oil and try turn it over, might loosen up

lol, sorry Dru, I forgot your current car is red also! :) IOWNU posted pics of [his recently purchased] Ferrari red BNR32 the other week and I was wondering if it had arrived (and died ;)) already.

And regarding your own (unfortunate) rebuild - have you used 'standard' parts or have you gone all with parts designed for high hp work? Just wondering after I read in another thread that a guy rebuilt his RB26 for $2900 (without forged pistons, etc.; no scoring, just lost an exhaust wheel or similar). If you don't mind, may I ask what the rebuild cost (PM if you prefer?).

Cheers!

Mark

COWIE: Firstly, thank god this car isn't the red GTR i bought. Its a gun metal grey one i bought....my uncle lives in Jap and I had some extra dosh, so i though y not? Considering the rule was about to end........

Anyways....the car still doesn't start. We aren't trying to start it till monday. Yeah, only sound i can hear is the starter motor for a bit, then the engine struggling (kind of like a flat battery)

OK...funnily enough, while the car was getting fixed, there was a freak incident, when part of the mechanics roof got blown off, and some rain water clearly got into the engine bay....everything was open, i.e direct access to spark plugs. this gives me hope...maybe there's just water in the engine? Thanks for the heads up rob82. Hoping for some luck.

OK oil leak, was minimal, after about being start for 10 mins....there was a small puddle, perhaps the size of a 5cm in diamter.....that contained more water than oil.

In any case im not going to try and sue the mechanic...i was just wondering if it could be his fault....

Moving on now....I can't wait for my Red GTR to get here (its a November model) so thats what im looking forward to. Recently, i've had some hard luck with GTRs, my last one required a rebuild, before i sold it, this one came with buggered turbos, now the engine seems to be on the way.........ah well, who said owning a GTR would be cheap. Just can't wait to get it on the road......its really frustrating having it lying around in a workshop.

1.I would be using a diffrent mechanic...i mean what type of fool test drives a car when its visually leaking oil/water

2.i would be buying my cars off a diffrent person

you wouldnt happen to be in melbourne and live in the western suburbs would you?

I have a sneaking suspicion that i have met you....the R32 with he rattly bottom and and the uncle from japan thing rings a bell

1.I would be using a diffrent mechanic...i mean what type of fool test drives a car when its visually leaking oil/water

2.i would be buying my cars off a diffrent person

you wouldnt happen to be in melbourne and live in the western suburbs would you?

I have a sneaking suspicion that i have met you....the R32 with he rattly bottom and and the uncle from japan thing rings a bell

Hey yeah, that's me!

You're Troy right? Guy with R34 GTR....

This is Ali....and yeah you came and checked out my last GTR (which i fixed and sold)

Ahaha its cool, coz i only paid half the value of the car........so I'm making deductions hehe.

Anyways, today confirmed the worst......few cylinders are dead.

Am now looking for an RB26 bottom end....sigh.

Will update when I have more info. For the time being am going to start a thread in the WTB section.

Edited by IOWNU

does anybody have a 89/90 GTR that hasn't blown up?  :P

ahahah....so true. Well the one I had before last didn't blow up, it was an 89 model.

I'd get an R33 GTR but don't like the shape that much........can't afford an R34 GTR.....yet.

does anybody have a 89/90 GTR that hasn't blown up?  :ph34r:

There would be only a handful of 89/90 GTR's that would still be running around on the same engine that they came to Aus with. And just about all of them are genuine low km cars with logs and service books. The rest have been thrashed and this is shown by the large number of those for sale and/or with new rebuilds.