SAU Community

Removing the front bar on R33 SII

Blitz

Anyone here taken the front bar of a R33 series 2 GTST?

I am planning on starting to fit my FMIC on the weekend and just wondering if there is anything i should know prior to removing the front bar.

Do the headlights need to be removed to undo the bar?

How many bolts hold the bar in place and where are they located?

Thanks all

:P

Nick,

-First pull out the grille (5 plugs)

-below the grille there's three scrivets that hold the bar to the metal subframe, there's also one underneath the centre scrivet, just behind the number plate

-Behind the plastic inner wheel arch guard there's two screws either side which hold the sides of the bar to the front of the guards.

-The headlights don't need to come out

-Don't forget to disconnect the fog lights/blinkers

-It should come straight off.

The bar is easily cut with a jigsaw with a metal blade if the back of the bar needs to be cut forward to fit an FMIC in. I'm pulling mine off this weekend to check the my crash repairers handywork and try and line things up a bit better.

Ed

EDS: thanks for the info.... just what i was after :)

My cooler is 600 X 300 X 75 - have you fitted one to your car yet?

Im hoping to have the piping this week so I can start fitting

Jimbo: i will get some pics for you while i install if you like :)

I'll give it a looksee .... still not sure what the boys have planned this Friday so I'm not sure if I'll be recouperating or not .... I can prolly catch the train to Thornleigh and go from there ..... Any need a navigator ?

Nick,

I had a Hyperflow FMIC the same size you've got in about this time last year, but had to pull it out cause it made the motor boil sitting in traffic in early september:(

The mods I had to make were cutting a hole for the pipework under the washer bottle and modifying the front of the chassis rail with a hammer:D

Ed

Jimbo I have actually heard of it before.... i think when cars sitting in traffic etc it soaks more heat when stationary... once its moving again its fine...

If I was moving over 70kph in any heat I'd have no problem, but once I was sitting in traffic, the temp almost went off the scale!

The intake air going through an FMIC is cooler for sure, but being a heat exchanger the air coming in the front of the car gets heated, then hits the air-con, gets heated further, by that time the radiator's got no hope.

Most people don't have any trouble at all. Maybe I had one of the thermo's wired up backwards?:uh-huh: