SAU Community

3" (BOLT-ON ALSO), 3.5" and 4" CATCO HI-FLOW CATs (stainless steel inside)

Hi guys,

A new CATCO CAT is out in the market, and this one is 304SUS (surgical stainless steel) outside, and unlike the other high flow CATs which have a ceramic honeycomb inside, this has a stainless steel honeycomb which has 200 holes per sq inch instead of 400 holes per sq inch, which basically means the holes are twice the size of the other Hi-flow CATs. It is now the highest flowing CAT on the market, which would cost in excess of $600-800 at exhaust shops.

The CAT is available in 3", 3.5" or 4" piping. The actual round body of the CAT is 5".

The CAT has been conveniently made as a 3" bolt on for R32 & R33 GTST/GTR, 180SX, Pulsar GTiR, R34 GTT & S14/S15 200SX) = $440

$410 for 3" Universal

$470 for 3.5" Universal

$480 for 4" Universal

cheers,

Michael

Edited by BATMBL

• 2 weeks later...

the testing has been done!

CAR: 1990 R32 GTST Type M

Specs: 3.5" cat-back exhaust, everything else STOCK (even stock air filter and boost!)

Plugs were changed to NGK coppers (heat range 6).

Results:

148kwrw - standard dump/front pipe and standard CAT (not compliance CAT, the factory nissan CAT)

standard dump/front pipe and the new Hi-flow CAT with stainless steel inside - 158kwrw. INCREASE of 10rwkw!! ...as the hp would increase on a car, so would an even bigger increase in hp compared to standard CAT and this new CAT.

split dump/front pipe and standard CAT - 164kwrw. INCREASE of 16kwrw!

open/bell mouth dump/front pipe and standard CAT - 156kwrw. INCREASE of 8kwrw!

new split dump front pipe and the new Hi-flow CAT with stainless steel inside - 175rwkw. INCREASE of 27kwrw!!! thats more increase than a 3" CAT back exhaust- usually about 20rwkw.

hope this clears a few things up about the need for a 3" hi-flow CAT and the difference between bell/open mouth and split dumps.

dont have a scanner yet, but when i can post the sheets up, i will!

cheers,

Michael

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

we did some independant testing on 3 cats last week and here are the results.

FLOW RATES IN CFM:

3" CATCO CAT (has 5" body, 200csi steel inside) = 706CFM

3" METAL CAT (has 4" body, 200csi steel inside)=629CFM

3" MAGIC CAT, we welded cone reducers and 3" piping (has 4" body, 300csi steel inisde)=540CFM

The flow test on the 3.5" piping CATCO CAT showed a flow of 885CFM & for the 4" piping CATCO CAT it was 1015CFM!

as you can see, the catco cat has the most flow and cannot be compared. one thing we didnt test was the CFM of a straight through 3" pipe, but from memory its about 1000CFM(??)

cheers,

Michael

Edited by BATMBL

• 1 month later...

i personally would never stock them, you can ask justjap how many returns they get... the worst cat in the market.

the stainless steel will turn purple within the first few hours of driving (meaning the steel cant handle the heat since its really thin, and from this the biscuits will start moving because the steel flexes from the heat and then you get ratling etc...). the cat doesnt flow well at all due to the poor design and cheap biscuits inside. overall, its a cheap china made "cat" which doesnt have any EPA and/or CARBs emission approvals.

xforce is all about a low price, but essentially theres no quality.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi BATMBL

Can you tell me the length of the 3" CAT for the R33? ($190 one)

I took mine off to replace with a cheapy i bought, but the cheapy is too long. I think it will be going back.

My current one which is a Catco but looks to be maybe a 2.5" is 318mm long. Does that sound right?

Thanks..Birnie

hi birnie

i dont have one with me right now, but that does sound about right. any of the 3 cats you can buy bolt on for the r33 are the same length flange to flange and angled correctly, its just the smaller one has 3" piping coming out of it, where as the large body doesnt get to have the 3" piping come out of the cat, but the flanges are welded right at the ends of the cat, where the 3" piping would have started.

the bolt on cats i have for r33 are a direct fit from the standard cats, and ive never had a problem with fitment after selling many of them. the same bolt on cat will also fit r32 skyline and pulsar gtir and 180sx/s13 silvia.

cheers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

• Similar Content

• Latest Posts

• I'll bite. I no longer own any euro's, but I thought I'd share two of my favorites I owned. My 500hp B5 S4 and my 800HP E55 AMG. Yes I did attempt to drive the E55 in Canadian winters, that lasted all of a month as it was a death trap.   
    • To be fair this is the wife’s car. However, I have been accused of owning more cars than I have pairs of undies. Luckily I change my undies more frequently than the cars.
    • Cheers Lads Looking at changing up a few things maybe go 2.8lt, bigger injectors with more a modern Turbo. Possibly transbrake and convert to E85 with Haltech ECU. Any thoughts on those Mods changes or better ideas? Want to try keep the car Street/Strip While also being weekend drivable still.  
    • The time has come, once again, for us to celebrate all things GTR! Motive DVD's GT-R FESTIVAL for 2024 is fast approaching, and we couldn't be more excited to be part of this awesome event once again! As usual, SAU NSW will be be part of the event, with our traditional club display on the day! If you would like to be part of it, firstly, you'll need to make sure you secure your Display Entry into the show via the below link by Motive Video: https://gtrfestival.com.au/ Other tickets are also available, ie. VIP Entry or Drag Entry, for you to also choose from. Once you have your ticket locked in, make sure to send us a PM via Facebook so we can add you to our list of display cars! When you message us, we will gather some more details from you to make sure we can spot you on the day, and guide you to the right place! If you'd like more information regarding the day, please refer to Motive Video's event page, or, you can get in touch with us and we will help you as best as we can. As always, general details are below: Date: Friday 24th May / Saturday 25th May Location: Sydney Dragway Time: 6.00pm Friday / 9.00am Saturday We look forward to seeing you all on the day! One of the things that really sets our club apart is our commitment to being true enthusiasts. When on normal roads we strive to maintain good relations with the authorities as well as the public in general. When attending one of Skylines Australia NSW events please try to: • Be aware of surrounding environment and act accordingly. • Drive courteously on the state’s roads as a true enthusiast should. • Understand how important it is to maintain the good name of SAUNSW and thus, treat others accordingly. • Any misbehaviour will not be tolerated and you will be asked to leave. Thanks guys and hope to see you there!