SAU Community

R32: Changing Front And Rear Brake Pads

HCR32

Ok as topic says, i just replaced my front and rear brake pads, wasnt hard at all.

Below i got step by step procedure on how to change the pads for those of you who want to save some money and learn something.

1. Get your self an R32 gtst skyline

pad1.jpg

2. Did the rear brake pads first so make sure you put bricks or a heavy object infront of the front tyres so it doesnt move forward while you raise the car on the jack and proceed to take off the wheels. Once the wheels are off you should see

pad2.jpg

Ok, There are basically two ways you can change the pads. One, you can take off the whole caliper by undoing two bolts at the back OR Two(easier), leave the caliper on. I'll show you both ways, first way we will take it off.

3. Undo the two nuts behind the caliper with a size 17 socket. The second bolt you cant see in the pic, its just underneath.

pad8.jpg

One both have been undone the whole caliper should come off. Now the parts we are going to take apart are labeled 1.Bent pin 2.Long pins and 3.X Plate

pad6.jpg

4. Now carefully pull the bent pin out, very easy but careful not to bend it. Once you have done that, you can pull the two long pins down and they should come out easy. Just be careful when your taking out the long pins because the X plate might spring up and go flying some where

pad10.jpg

After you have done the last step the pads should easily come out. If your worried about the piston coming out of the caliper dont worry, unless some one jumps in the car and pushes the brake pedal in.

pad9.jpg

5. Take the back metal plate off the old pads and put them on your new rear pads

pad13.jpg

Ok when i got to this stage, i needed to push the pistons in the caliper back and it cant be pushed back by your thumb...i tried and it didnt work hehe...with limited tools my macgyver in my came out and i thought of this idea. I bolted the caliper back to its original location, then using a big philips head screw driver i pushed the head of the piston back with the help of the disc

pad7.jpg

Ok you know how i told you earlier theres an even easier way to replace the pads, here it is. Once you have moved the pistons on both sides of the caliper back, the new pads should just slide right in, so yes...there was no need to take off the caliper to begin with BUT i didnt know and i found out after i changed the rear right brake :P

pad14.jpg

6. Line up the pads with the holes and insert one of the long pins to hold the pads in place. Next get the X Plate and place it back, please see below pic how 1 of the legs is behind the pin, push the other leg of the X back while you insert the second pin.

pad16.jpg

7. Once both long pins are in, grab the bent pin and feed each side into the top pins like how it was in the begining and thats replaces the rear pads.

pad11.jpg

With the front pads it is exactly the same thing tho i had four pistons to push back rather than two because my R32 is the type M modem with bigger front brakes. 1.the long pins 2.X Plate and 3.Bent Spring

pad15.jpg

Now after you have done all your brakes, go read Brake Pads - Bedding In Instructions - by GenesisR32

thanks

-Barny

Hi Barny

I'm keenly waiting to see how it went. Would you mind also posting what tools you used and how much time it took you? I'm guessing when you say brakes you mean changing the rotors or did you mean pads only?

Cheers

Mark

Mark,

Yeh sorry man i only mean the pads...if your going to change the front rotors, its easy all you have to do is take off the calippers and the rotors will come off...

i didnt check the rear rotors but they were bolted down...

Barny

Also, if you need to replace the disc it is also easy.

Follow Benny's instructions to step 4, ie take the caliper off the disc. At this stage you can simple remove the disc and replace it. If you are doing the rear disc there is a small handbrake drum in the middle so you need to take release the handbrake first. When you put the new rear disc back on you may need to adjust the drums as well.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
just thought id mention what id learnt the other day off my uncle while changing my brake pads, to push the pistons back in you could use a G-clamp, which makes it much easier

Mate did that with the rears on his 180SX but they were the screw in type and broke the clamp! :D

• 1 year later...

this is awesome fun just completed it this arvo.. real bonding moment with your car.... if u have spare time also give it a few coats of any desired colour followed by clear coat..(use caliper paint as it will take the heat) plus a real clean up so the paint sticks

all up did rotors pads and a lotta coats of paint!! well worth it!

good luck

:thumbsup:

post-27156-1208186029_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

Just a heads up. I find it easier to push the pistons in if you release the bleed nipples on the caliper. Make sure that you either bleed them afterwards or have a hose on the nipple so it sucks in brake fluid instead of air. Also if you don't do the bleed nipple method and just push the caliper pistons in to loosen the master cylinder fill cap. I find it helps a little and makes it easier to push the piston in. Note that if you have added brake fluid in the past ie noticed that the level in the master fluid is low and added more you may find that brake fluid has spilled over the master cylinder brake fluid container when you push the brake pistons in ( keep an eye on the level when you push the pistons in ). Brake fluid is no good for your paint work. So have a wet rag ready and wipe up any brake fluid that gets on your caliper or paint work. Don't get any water near the brake fluid container because water will ruin brake fluid and will need to bleed from the system.

An even easier way to push the pistons back in is buy a small metal bench vice from your local hardware shop, then cut the clamping faces so they are the same width as the top of the caliper where the pads slide in then insert the vice into the top of the caliper and slowly wind the handle so that the vice pushes the pistons back.

Works extremely well, very fast and only cost about $15.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...