SAU Community

DIY:FMIC Water Spray

LBR33

FMIC Water Spray

Well here it is This guide is for people who have full fmic piping that goes through the left guard rather then the stock hole below the pod.

Requirements

3m - 4mm Garden spray hose

2x 4mm Garden T pieces

2x 4mm Garden 180 degree sprayers

50cm - 5mm Vinyl hose

1x EA-ED Washer bottle with 2 pumps (It has a good capacity and one side is flat so is ideal to be mounted in the right guard)

2x Magna 1 way water valves (blue ball type)

2x on/off switches

Step One

Mounting the bottle

Since the stock fmic pipe hole below the pod isn’t used it is the idea position for mounting the bottle. I used metal my bro had at his work as it was wide and had a small hole in it. I used two in the bottle and in the engine bay on both holes to hold the bottle up. The filler hole for the washer bottle fits perfectly inside the piping hole which allows the hose and funnel I used so the bottle can be filled at a servo.

7395Water_Pipe.JPG

7395Bottle.JPG

7395Hose_and_Funnel.JPG

Step 2

Piping

The key to the water not siphoning out is mounting the water bottle below the water jets themselves.

Put the 5mm Vinyl tube onto the water pumps and then the 4mm tube into the 5mm tube and secure with a few cable ties(the clear tube also helps with seeing the water lvl in the bottle as the bottle isn’t very clear. Run the piping up through the gaps around the headlights and then make sure one pipe is on each side of the cooler as show so they will meet in the middle of the cooler. I used the one way valves round the headlight but I can use a little closer to the sprayers if u like. The idea behind the valves is if one pump is turned on the water wont flow back onto the water bottle.Use the t pieces as show and the water jets im sure most of you guys car capable of copying a picture.

7395Piping.JPG

7395Sprayer.JPG

I used a little strip of metal to help the jets point down.

Step Three

Wiring

Now for the easy part wiring. Basically find a good position to mount the switches I used the gap under the handbrake so not to attact much attention if I am pulled over. The only really hard part is finding power which I used the back of the lighter the orange is positive and black negitive connect at shown you will have to excuse the dodgy paint diagram. Running the cable into the cabin isn’t really a problem as there are heaps of grommet in the fire wall to use.

7395Wiring.JPG

7395Wires.JPG

7395Switches.JPG

Step Four

Testing

Give the system a bit of a run and pressure test.

Congratulations you now have a working FMIC water spray setup.

7395switches.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

I did an FMIC water spray today but used a different method.

As I never use the rear wiper or washer I just ran the vinyl hose off the rear washer pump, out through the front bar and Teed off to 2 garden variety conical spray heads mounted just behind the number plate, one at either end. I put a one way valve just before the first spray nozzle (couldn't find one at auto parts stores or at Bunnings, so stole on off the wifes car :) )to stop it dripping due to gravity.

I then disconnected the 2 plugs that go to the rear wiper motor (under the rear parcel shelf) so that when you activate the spray (via the wiper stalk) the rear wiper doesn't go off.

With the 2 conical sprayers angled correctly the spray covers about 80% of the cooler which I reckon is sufficient.

I am planning to buy the smallest push switch I can find (not a toggle type affair) and see if I can somehow run it up through the gearknob or perhaps attach it to the gearknob so that I can give it a quick squirt at each gear change when running hard, rather than having to take a hand off the wheel just to spray.

I was a bit worried that with having the two spray heads "in-line" that the second one would not get enough pressure, but they seem to both be putting out about the same amount of water so all is good.

I will try to take some pics when I find a suitable switch, but for the moment I can live with using the rear washer function on the stalk.

As I never use the rear wiper or washer I just ran the vinyl hose off the rear washer pump, out through the front bar and Teed off to 2 garden variety conical spray heads mounted just behind the number plate, one at either end.  I put a one way valve just before the first spray nozzle (couldn't find one at auto parts stores or at Bunnings, so stole on off the wifes car :) )to stop it dripping due to gravity.

I never use my rear wiper too but i just liked the idea of having a bit extra water.

How long do you find the stock bottle lasting.

I haven't really had a chance to gauge how long it lasts yet as I only installed it yesterday, but it's a pretty big reservoir...

I have started working on wiring the switch to the gearknob and it's coming along quite nicely :) . I went to Dick Smith and bought a momentary push switch which is only 5 or 6mm wide (cost $2.68....this is all I have spent so far as I had everything else lying around under the house). I have used my old factory gearknob for the moment as I didn't want to butcher my Nismo one straight off.

As far as wiring goes, I am just going to take a positive feed from the fusebox in the engine bay wired straight to the positive terminal on the pump, then run the earth on the pump to the switch on the gearknob, and the other terminal on the switch I will ground to the chassis under the gear boot somewhere (saves having to run 2 wires all the way to the pump and also means that the switch is not always trying to hold 12V back)

Here is a pic of the gearknob. I will take more pics of the whole install once I am done.

gearknob2.jpg