SAU Community

Sump extensions, benefits & products available?

RB_26

Looking into possibly doing the Tomei sump extention on an RB26, are there any alternatives to the Tomei kit?

Not fussed with big names just want to ensure my bottom ends stays lubbed up :shake:

Interested to hear how you guys got on and what the diffs in oil preasure was if any.

Thanks

:)

Hey Mate

I just got my 32 GTR 2 weeks ago, I bought some Tomei Sump baffles a few months ago.

Had them fitted the first week I got the car (it was in the workshop for 1 week fro mthe day igot it)

there isn't really any noticible difference I would have to say, but its more peice of mind that I'm reducing the chance of the engine being starved for oil mid corner :)

mark

Hey Mate

I just got my 32 GTR 2 weeks ago, I bought some Tomei Sump baffles a few months ago.

Had them fitted the first week I got the car (it was in the workshop for 1 week fro mthe day  igot it)

there isn't really any noticible difference I would have to say, but its more peice of mind that I'm reducing the chance of the engine being starved for oil mid corner :)

mark

Sure, interested in the idea of the baffle and the extra capacity. Also the 'winged' versions of the sumps look very interesting too. Soooo much to learn mate!!! and sooo much to consider before I slap on that T51R lol :headspin:

This would be a good thread to discuss the disadvantages/advantages of each type: To me the sump baffle seems alot more simple - but is there a distinct advantage to having a 7.5L oil supply using the extension ?

yeah in hindsight I should have gotten a complete new sump with bigger capacity and baffled. but I want an oil cooler at some point so that will be ok later :D

I used Greg over at autsosport at kirrawee. the motor was out, but it made sense as I was doing alot more like full 100k service, injectors, tension pulleys changed it would have been a harder job without taking the motor out I was told.

And it was a good chance to inspect everything closely, had an N1 waterpump installed while it was out too

mark

Yes keep original sump or get another sump to get welded then swap it over. Im sure you can change sump with motor still in car. Drop crossmember etc.

Budget 100-300 to get the erxtension welded on depending on who you use.

Err..no, not unless you pull the box off to get to the bolts inside the bellhousing..

Cheers

Ken

from what I understand even after you get the box out you still have to remove the flywheel from the crank., from what I've been told this will be pretty farken hard with the engine still in the car. can't say I've tried it personally though :D

I've been wanting to get some baffles or extension put into my GTR but the only thing stopping me is the labour cost. I've often wondered if you couldn't fit it with the engine in, but by all reports the answer is no.

I've got the performance metal craft sump done, with the oil cooler its up to around 9 litres total. this ine has all those swinging doors in it and stuff.

we had it done when the engine was out. give performance metalcraft a call and Hi octane a call they have the tomei stuff and they are in the same factory but are completely different companies.

I posted this in another thread but it applies here;

This is the ever popular Moroso SMC circuit race sump, note the wings, trap doors and baffles;

21900_part.jpg21900_inside.jpg

This is the Morosa Ford circuit race sump, note the wings, trap doors and baffles;

20608_part.jpg20608_inside.jpg

Now compare those to the Moroso SBC drag race sump, note how deep it is and it has no wings, trap doors or baffles

21016_part.jpg21016_inside.jpg

The design is different because drag cars don't go around corners, so side to side centrifical forces do not have to be catered for. The drag sump is designed to stop the oil from being forced up and back under acceleration.

For a proper race engine, we have some simple rules we follow;

Rule #1 don't have an engine with excessive blowby, keep the tolerances accurate, use gapless rings, run the engine in properly.

Rule #2 only allow as much oil as you need to flow up to the cylinder head. There are 2 oil feeds to the head in all RB's. GTR's have a restrictor in one feed to limit the oil flow. We block that one off completely, it simply isn't needed at constant high rpm's.

Rule #3 clean out the oil returns, port them so they return more oil to the sump quicker.

Rule #4 have an external oil return to the sump, into the top of the left hand wing is normal. Check the RHS wing on the SBC sump above.

Rule #5 run a big catch can. with baffles and or stainless steel wool inside to separate the air from the oil.

Rule #6 use a sump with baffles, trap doors and wings. Run a crank windage tray to make sure the crank doesn't whip the oil on rotation. And a crank scraper to remove as much oil that is following in the partial vacuum that the crank creates as it spins.

Rule #7 try not to use Jap "brand name" oil pumps (the ones that fit in the standard location), a full dry sump kit is cheaper and far more effective. When using a dry sump set up have one of the scavenge stages picking up oil from the cam covers.

You can't compare to the Gibson GTR's they had to run under the Group A rules, which didn't allow dry sumps if I remember rightly. They did use an external oil pump (same as a dry sump pump) but they returned the oil to the sump, not a remote tank.

Hope that is of some help:cheers:

Cheers Sydneykid, some useful info there.

I'm looking at modifying the rb30 sump to increase its capacity and with a baffle etc.. Metal fab isnt a prob for me.

The sump below i think is made by RIPS. Does the design look right?.

gtrsump3.jpg

gtrsump2.jpg

gtrsump1.jpg

gtrsump.jpg

Cheers Sydneykid, some useful info there.

I'm looking at modifying the rb30 sump to increase its capacity and with a baffle etc.. Metal fab isnt a prob for me.

The sump below i think is made by RIPS. Does the design look right?.

I am not to goig to pick on other people's designs, they may well be superior. What I will say is, the ones I use for circuit racing have wings both sides and they have one way doors out of those wings.

:(