SAU Community

Automatic Transmission Shift Kit. - Updated Oct 2006

4door_Sleeper

This topic and prices have been updated on October 9th 2006.

MV Automatics in Adelaide make shift kits for automatic skylines.

The kit consists of a Valve Body for the RE4R01A auto trans, which includes R32's and R33's and some others (Stageas I believe).

And now R34's

Final price is now $330 +$55 deposit + postage of between 20 and 30 dollars) and he will send you out a complete Valve Body Assembly. The $50 deposit on your old valve body assembly will be sent to you when you post your old one back and it checks out OK.

If you just want to purchase one and not worry about posting your old one back then the price is $385.

Higher speed torque converters of between 2800 and 3000rpm are $410 changeover

The discussions about this have taken place on the following thread

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/sh...age=1&pp=40

Some members have asked about an option to include a new gasket and filter, which Mike said he would highly recommend we all do anyway, will cost about $33 for a "Service Kit"

Mike at MV AUTOMATICS (1 Stirling Rd Blackwood SA 5051 (08) 8370 0430 )

can run the group buy for us but have asked that we do it in groups of 4 at a time. When the first 4 send back their valve bodies these will be modified and overhauled ready for the second group of 4.

Could those who want to take part in this Group buy please PM me to express your interest. Final price is still a little unsure, but the maximum price would be $335 +$50 deposit (refunded when you return your serviceable valve-body) + $33 for a service kit if required.

Names of those confirmed will be posted below.

PS I have already installed this kit in my 33, and highly recommend it.

Conformations:

Abo Bob

Fastrotor

flex - vic

4door Sleeper

Iopia

jakester

krone - qld

linkems

lukits01 - wa

nedb

nedb – nsw

rd-runr - act

skidline

skyguy3804 -vic

tikki169

Edited by 4door_Sleeper

Ok so how does this work?

We pay, then MV sends us the new valve body, to which we install, then send him the old valve body and recieve our $50 back?

This correct?

Does anyone know the weight of the standard valve body to work out shipping costs?

Count me in, aswell as the service kit

As soon as we have sufficient numbers we will have a chat with MV and work out how payment should be handelled (and a final price).

One option may be that you transfer money to him, another might be that you send it to lukits01 or myself and we will give it to MV as a transfer oc cash depending upon what deal works best.

If we can get 4 mambers from one state we should be able to reduce the cost of shipping if everyone can collect it from a central location, but this will depend upon numbers and locations.

Hope this helps.

Ok so how does this work?

We pay, then MV sends us the new valve body, to which we install, then send him the old valve body and recieve our $50 back?

As I have already done extensive work to my Auto - Kevlar clutches, 2800RPM Stall etc I was also interested in the MV upgrades to finalise the job, but I seem to remember in the ZOOM article MV said they put welsh plugs into the actual transmission case assy for some reason as well as do the Valvebody mods.

What happens about this welsh plug mod in this case??

I was planning to drive to Adelaide AGAIN to do this before getting the orig ECU remapped AGAIN. - my fault Nino, - MORE MODS :rant:

As I have already done extensive work to my Auto - Kevlar clutches, 2800RPM Stall etc I was also interested in the MV upgrades to finalise the job, but I seem to remember in the ZOOM article MV said they put welsh plugs into the actual transmission case assy for some reason as well as do the Valvebody mods.

I was planning to drive to Adelaide AGAIN to do this before getting the orig ECU remapped AGAIN.  - my fault Nino, - MORE MODS :P

I dont work for MV, nor am I an Auto expert. I think in this case the best advice I can give you is to ring Mike at MV AUTOMATICS (1 Stirling Rd Blackwood SA 5051 (08) 8370 0430 ) and ask him.

Sorry I can't give a better answer, but I'd rather put you on the right path than give poor advice.

I was planning to drive to Adelaide AGAIN to do this before getting the orig ECU remapped AGAIN.  - my fault Nino, - MORE MODS :D

Sweet, could you post up what youve done to the auto, how it affected it, how much etc

Just for everyone to have a read and learn something :)

I took my auto into MV and had them install both the shift kit and a trans cooler.

The trans cooler is just for insurance, as they say its heat that kills an auto, and I give mine a bit of stick through the hills (closed tracks only :bs!: ) and plan to give it a few runs at the drags (at AIR, not those red yellow green ones all over the place)

The shifts are now incredibly fast when I put the foot down (especially first to second) and the tyres will chirp during gear changes. Off the line there is very little can keep up with me unless I give it too much stick and go into uncontrolled wheel spin. (theTEIN HA are a part of this problem - good for runs in the hills but not so good for stationary launches)

The auto is defiantly the go for gear changes as the throttle stays wide open and you don’t come off of boost.

The big benefit is that in bumper-to-bumper traffic (where you don’t floor it) it drives much like a std skyline (no wheel spin) just a little bit firmer shifts.

When you look at the money the manual guys spend on clutches (every 12 months or so) why would you go past the auto.

Hope this is helpful.

I took my auto into MV and had them install both the shift kit and a trans cooler.

The trans cooler is just for insurance, as they say its heat that kills an auto, and I give mine a bit of stick through the hills (closed tracks only :bs!:  ) and plan to give it a few runs at the drags (at AIR, not those red yellow green ones all over the place)

The shifts are now incredibly fast when I put the foot down (especially first to second) and the tyres will chirp during gear changes. Off the line there is very little can keep up with me unless I give it too much stick and go into uncontrolled wheel spin. (theTEIN HA are a part of this problem - good for runs in the hills but not so good for stationary launches)

The auto is defiantly the go for gear changes as the throttle stays wide open and you don’t come off of boost.

The big benefit is that in bumper-to-bumper traffic (where you don’t floor it) it drives much like a std skyline (no wheel spin) just a little bit firmer shifts.  

When you look at the money the manual guys spend on clutches (every 12 months or so) why would you go past the auto.

Hope this is helpful.

Well said, and good to hear the results :D

Does Mike have the internet at work? Could you possibly entice him to maybe make a short post of his wisdom with automatics on here, there is ALOT of auto owners out there who have been waiting for this for a long time :(

And we speak nothing but praise for his company, im sure he'd love to add to the discussion/information.

Ide also like to know weather or not its possible to replace the clutch packs and any other worn components while doing the valve body change... Obviously without taking the gearbox completely out.

Cmon Auto owners, show your interest....!

i have a friend who had a stage 2 shift kit in his vr 5ltr and said that for every day driving it wouldnt be the best as the shifts are harder when driving slowly.

so just how much firmer are the shifts? are they so much firmer that they get annoying or do they just take a little time to get used to or is it a case of many wouldnt even notice the difference?

oh and our old valvebody's that we would send away we get back yes? and is it just as easy to put this stock valvebody back in? may seem silly but just would like to know just in case when it comes time to sell the buyer would like the auto in completely stock form even though this would be better than stock

:D

They are modifying your valvebody for the next guy so you don't get it back however you can easily buy one second hand and return it to stock.

I would have thought that with throttle control you could smooth the shifts a little also if it's rough at lower speeds but as the old fart says, it stays smooth at low speeds.

I can't wait to get this mod. I think I'm even more excited about this than about my new turbo.

Ide also like to know weather or not its possible to replace the clutch packs and any other worn components while doing the valve body change... Obviously without taking the gearbox completely out.  

Cmon Auto owners, show your interest....!

I would like to know this as well as my gearbox has quite a bit under its belt. What other parts would need to be changed to refresh the box?

They are modifying your valvebody for the next guy so you don't get it back however you can easily buy one second hand and return it to stock.

I would have thought that with throttle control you could smooth the shifts a little also if it's rough at lower speeds but as the old fart says, it stays smooth at low speeds.

I can't wait to get this mod.  I think I'm even more excited about this than about my new turbo.

True that :D

I wish i lived near MV, this would of been one of the first mods i got done.

I cant wait to see how it feels, especially with a new turbo :headspin: