SAU Community

Strange Ticking when Cold

adam 32

i know i always post the dumbest problem, and not wanting to dissapoint, heres another!!:)

the car is making a strange ticking sound when cold, the ticking gets faster with more revs and you cant hear it on when the turbo starts to spool (4000, i dont like reving the cold enigne too much though)

its coming from the left hand side of the engine bay, so possibly turbo. it goes away completely when the engine warms up, any ideas?

thanks everyone!

adam

I had that problem in my vl RB30E.

It was a lifter getting stuck, it was a loud metallic sound, coming from the top end, if thats what youre getting.

They are meant to compress and take the shock, so you dont hear anything, but if one gets stuck in or out, it will be noisy.

If its doing it while cold, it could be a lack of oil at the top end, check your oil, or maybe an oil duct up the top end is blocked.

Im pretty sure youll be able to tell the difference between this and injector noise.

hope this helps.

Originally posted by adam 32

is this bad? ie long term engine damage?

is there anything i should be doing about this problem or just ignore it?

No, not in short term but you are loosing power due to the valves are not fully closed.

You should either take the hydraulic lifters out and wash them in alcohol. or better is to exchange them to new ones. they usally don't cost mutch, but there is a little time consuming to exchange them.

But this "problem" can also accure when you just have changed oil due to air have come in to the lifters, or if you have changed to a oil that has to low density to make the lifters to work as they should.

Originally posted by adam 32

the car is making a strange ticking sound when cold, ...... it goes away completely when the engine warms up, any ideas?

I also had this problem in my RB30E, and it turned out to be the exhaust manifold gasket.... It had sprung a leak, right at the back, and would make a ticking sound when cold. Once it had warmed up, the sound would go away.

is this bad? ie long term engine damage?

is ur noise the lifter noise?? eg. a tap tap tap kinda one, or a tick tick kinda one? the noise u have mite not be related to anything these things hehe.

the lifter noise is quite loud, i had it on my old celica.

Wont cause any damage, but it gets louder and worse! If you do it yourself, shouldn't cost you more than say $15 - $20 for the gasket. If you take it to a mechanic, it will cost you for labour too! I'd say between $100 - $200.

But in either case, be VERY CAREFUL when taking the bolts of the manifold! Make sure you soak them in WD40 for at least 30 mins!!! Some of the se bolts will break off regardless, but the more broken bolts, the more headaches!

first look to see if any bolts are missing on the exhaust manifold - especially on the last cylinder. If there are, then it is almost certainly your gasket.

You can also put your (wet) hand around it while the engine is cold and being reved!

If none of these yield any results, then remove the manifold and replace the gasket anyhow!

Well if the gasket is gone, then it is a leak.

I dont know how these wreck besides having loose or missing screws on your exhaust manifold. Mine had a missing screw that had brocken off over time (thats how weak these screws are on the RB motors!)

I might be wrong, but I have had this problem and seen it on 2 other skylines, all with the same symptoms you are describing...

Best to take to a mechanic b/c if the screw was loose or off for a while, the manifold warps over time with heat if there is nothing to hold it in place. You might need to get it machined nice and flat!

I helped a mate of mine with his (changed the gasket), and because his screws were missing for a while, the manifold warped. After replacing the gasket, the problem was still there b/c of the warped manifold. So we took it to get it machined, replaced gasket, and problem gone!

It wont cause any damage (if it is a blown gasket), it's just irritating!

If it isn't that, then I cant give you any recomendations b/c I dont know what the problem is and what possible damage can come from it...

Just check one morning when it is cold, by wetting your hand, and placing it in various positions around where the exhaust manifold bolts onto the head, and revving the engine until the sound is very audiable.

Zahos