SAU Community

Cluch alignment

R33vit

I dont recommend anyone do there own clutch unless you've done them before or really know what your doing... I was going to write up a tutorial on how to change you clutch but it is very involved and difficult for the average person..

If you do wanna do it yourself then here is a tip to re-align the new clutch..

Whilst the gearbox and clutch are out it's best to replace the spigot bush. There cheap as and you dont wanna be pulling a boxes out to replace a $2 part after stuffing about getting the boxes in...

Get your self a piece of 16mm dowel from a hardware store cut a piece around 1 foot long or a little longer.

Fill the spigot with as much grease as you can jam in there and push the dowel into the spigot.. Use a hammer to knock it in there. The grease will have nowhere to go and the spigot will pop out..

Dont toss the old spigot out..

Clean out the grease from the flywheel where the spigot was and replace with a new bush. Use a socket to drift the new bush in taking care not to damage it..

Now when it comes time to align your new clutch we will make up a simple tool to help us out.. Take the old spigot and pass it over the peice of 16mm dowel. It should be a tight fit.

Measure the distance from the end of the input shaft to the teeth, then measure the same distance on the dowel and place the spigot in that position.. Next you will need to tape the spigot with some masking tape until you have enough to take up the clearance so when you pass the clutch plate over the taped up spigot it will fit snugly.

This is you new alignment tool.. After you place the clutch and pressure plate onto the flywheel, bolt up the pressure plate just enough to hold it there.. By passing the clutch alignment tool trough the clutch and into the new spigot in the flywheel this will help bring them into line and make fitting the gearbox a lot easier, with a little less cursing..

Tighten the pressure plate and check around the edge's with you finger to feel if it is a even spacing...

Remember if the 16mm piece of dowel is bent then you will never get the clutch lined up right and you a wasting you time

I hope this helps and if you cant understand any of it drop me a PM, I am happy to help...

Take care

Sam

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

I made my own clutch alignment tool as I found the 180b plastic jobbie was a little loose.

I've used them in the past on other cars, its not that it doesn't fit its just the plastic tool isn't perfectly spot on and doesn't stop ALL movement for any car. :)

I used a nice long bolt that is used for bolting bolting pergolas etc together. I then grabbed some fuel line hose that fit over it nice and tight, then grabbed an older heater hose that fit over the fuel line perfectly.

Pictures tell a thousand words.

This tool is so damn tight, so if you make one like it throw a smidge of engine oil on the rubber so it doesn't get stuck.

It holds the clutch extremely tight and centered. There's no movement. Gearbox slid in first pop, had to then pull it back out as I forgot to do the clutch bolts up completely tight. lol

Second time it also went straight in.

Edited by Cubes

Just adding my 2c. Something to keep in mind here is that they all work ( some better than other's :( ) for a single plate but when you get to installing a twin, triple or quad plate, you really do need a proper input shaft not only to align the plates to the spigot bush, but also to align the splines of each clutch plate to eachother. Now that's fun :D

I've done a twinplate using a 180b plastic clutch align tool. It worked well. It did feel a little loose, we simply did the old yep that feels centered and tightened everything up.

I think if I used the tool (pic above) it would have been spot on as it literally does not move.

I think if I used the tool (pic above) it would have been spot on as it literally does not move.

I don't think I'd like to try my luck installing a twin plate with that tool. It does not align the splines of each clutch plate :)

Best thing to do ( IMO ) is to post in the WTB section asking for a dead gearbox ( with the input shaft still OK ) and you then pull the box apart to retrieve the input shaft ( don't really need to know what you're doing cause who cares, it doesn't have to be re-built ). You will then own the best clutch aligning tool around :( and you can loan it to your mates in exchange for beer !!

Plus one of the BEST things in the world to do is pull something apart and never have to put it back together again :D ( Good education for the novice mechanic ).

Yer that is a small problem. :D

The 180b tool doesn't either the teeth are not the exact correct size.

We aligned the splines by eye, got part in then turned the tail shaft to align the second one.

Ensure you have a big screw driver to turn the tail shaft, the clutch plates are rather tight. :(

Edited by Cubes

• 2 years later...

I've got a special tool for aligning the clutch.

It works EVEY time perfectly!

It is very easy to use.. idiot proof (prolly y ALL my mates borrow it!)lol

Well.. its an input shaft from a R31/VL 5sp manual gearbox. It still has the bearing on it.. but it fits my RB25 and my mates RB20 with no issues. the right tool for the job!

Cost me NOTHING! i just asked my local wrecking yard if they had a busted box.. he said

"you find it.. and pull it out.. and its yours free. If i look its $20"