SAU Community

R33 SII rear brake light not working...

Just a question regarding the rear brake light. I'm looking to get an R33 Series II past rego but noticed the rear brake light on the spoiler does not work at all. Someone told me that cars past a certain year MUST have this light working or they will be defected. is this true? The car is a '96 model but has not been registered for Australian roads yet. Will it pass rego like this?

Secondly, how much would this cost to fix? Is it just a simple wiring problem or would the whole unit need to be replaced? Thanks in advance for any replies. Oh and my apologies this isnt in the general area, for some reason it kept saying it was a duplicate post...

im pretty sure there are a few threads about the setup of these rear lights... they run in a set of leds in series connected in parrallel... do a search and you should find something in the maintenance section!!!

just take the wing off when going trough rego

will have to put gromets into the holes if this is done, wont pass if there are visible holes in the boot! if you have to get it done soon.. try the above.. but you'll wanna have it working eventually! could be something simple like the plug under the boot lining not being in all they way!

you will need the high mount stop light to get it complied , all post 90 cars do , so dont take it off .to fix it find the wires that go to it in the boot , unplug them and connect 12 volt battery on them if it works then you have to trace the wires to the normal stop lights . if it doesnt work you have to open the light and check the leds ( very hard to open without breaking it ). it maybe just unpluged though .

Hi p1r4t8r,

I had the exact same problem... Ser 2 spoiler brake light (LED's) stoped working.

Such a B##CH to fix.......

You can either get a replacement unit (the red strip that sits in the spoiler) for aroun $150 and give your broken one in as well.

Or you can try to fix it yourself, as I say at the top such a B##CH to try and fix.

The hard part is to get the red plastic off the backing. then you need to re-solder on of the resisters (or what ever you call it). You should see the one I'm talking about as it will be black and burnt..

Hope this helps..

Regards

raz0r$harP... thanks, might look into that one. Want to get the actual light working, but that might be a good fill in to get it past rego. Cause the problem at the moment is it's at the the person we're buying it offs house, and once it passes rego we're buying it. So i have almost no access to it before then. once its regirstered and we own it it will be easier to get it fixed up.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey just wondering , Is it illegal to have the spoiler brake light unplugged and therefore not working at all? just incase my LED's do start to go it looks heaps gay if they are not all working correctly...cheers

Ross.