SAU Community

D.i.y Compliance

DAN00H

Hi All

As the title says, I did the work on my car to get it to rego standards. Contary to what I was initially told (check you own state or territory :)), you will require an engineers cert.

So heres the list:

Exhaust db :) took me about 2 hrs per side from opening the door - through to reinstalling and closing the door! VERY EASY JOB IF YOU HAVE SOME MECHANICAL ABILITY - YOU JUST NEED ACCESS TO A WELDER, OR SOMEONE WHO CAN DO IT FOR YOU. I am thinking of posting a 'HOW TO' if people are interested??? $280 for the bars inc postage (bris to Canb) ISASO QLD is the place to get them - Absolute perfect fit (well done guys :)).

High rear brake light - Kmart, $10 (I looked for 4 weeks for the long slimline one...)

Unleaded only sticker - $0, if you have a nice engineer :) (cheers John!)

Tyre placard (sticker) - if you have non original wheels / tyres. Again, see your engineer.

Plaque in engine bay, showing the new VIN number DOTARS issued to you (at the bottom) $15 from key king - computer engraved, stick on.

Additional things / Costs:

I removed my roll cage,

Had to remove tint on rear window (crying about that....) took a while as well!

Rear diff bearings (~$400 - $500) as the pinion bearing collapsed...

Engineer cert ~$450

I think that is everything.... as you can see - if you are prepaired to do the work yourself, financially you can be in front (I don't count my time, as I like tinkering with cars).

Any questions??

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

very good thread. Does the company make intrusion bars for any car or just skylines? So is as I thought you dont need to pay a compliance person $0000's, you can do it yourself and take it to be registered?

Messiah

The stock mirrors have a banana bend in them (Concave), like the one's that have 'objects may appear closer than they look'. The ruling was to change this to a 'flat' type of mirror for compliance (to give you a 'normal' view), but this rule has since been replaced. (don't ask me what the ADR # is!!!)

very good thread. Does the company make intrusion bars for any car or just skylines? So is as I thought you dont need to pay a compliance person $0000's, you can do it yourself and take it to be registered?

ISASO in QLD 07 3200 3988 (speak to Steve) to bars for all sorts of imports - not just Lines :) They do a damn fine job, and are very reasonable on $ (plus they are dead easy to install). Yes, you can do it yourself and get an engineer to certify :D Save

Yeh, is this for a 15yr import, i was of the understanding that for a SEVS compliance plate (or even under the old low volume import scheme) that all compliance work had to be carried out by the plate holder/workshop.

seat belts need to be changed in qld....unless E marked (mercedes bmw etc)

i think you'll find that they just need to be retractable seat belts??

is this just to comply a stock imported car?

Nah, you need new ones with ADR markings on them. Fuel restrictor also needs to be fitted... where you'd get leaded fuel from anyway I dont know....

I still did my mirrors anyway.

You dont need rear belts or child restraints if you take the back seat out (you do need to put a 'permanent fixture' in the back though to prevent you just sticking the seats back in, I just used MDF to cover the hole through to the boot, and covered that with speaker carpet. Also covered the floor where the seat would be so theres no paint showing

• 4 months later...

in sydney you pay 1200(100 more if you want the blue slip) for a shop to do the same thing(about the same price you payed for all the things but you did them)

advantage i think you would get is you might use better grade oils

with the side intrusion bars, who is ISASO?

steve

That is who makes the side intrusion bars we use, about $200 a set depending on the car, same design as used in GTi-R for RAWS so very tidy jobs.

Rivet in so no welding or cutting.

with the side intrusion bars, who is ISASO?

steve

That is who makes the side intrusion bars we use, about $200 a set depending on the car, same design as used in GTi-R for RAWS so very tidy jobs.

Rivet in so no welding or cutting.

Hi Guys

Yes, it is for 15 yr old cars;

No, you don't need the restrictor in the neck of the fuel filler - just the sticker (where are you going to get leaded petrol these days!?!?!?!?);

No, you don't need to change the seatbelts - discuss with your engineer;

Yes, it was for a GTR - but will be similar for most Jap cars;

Rims/Tyres - your engineer can supply you with a NEW tyre placard showing the rims / tyres as certified;

I used the most expensive oils - redline;

I rang heaps of places, but none could do it for close to the money that it cost me, aside from that - I was able to get a good knowledge of the car.

Cheers

Can you explain the reasoning behind not having to do seatbelts and the fuel restrictor??

I understand some rules about things might be different state to state but ADRs are ADRs. ( AUSTRALIAN design regulations) or whatever it stands for.

Also for some reason, when my 15 year old import was complied they also had to change my sun visors.

Not sure what for though, they couldnt even tell me the reason.