SAU Community

Fan belt tightness

knore

Recently i was getting some squeeling from loose belts on cold startups, so i got under the car and tightened the bolt, unbeknown that it was the wrong one. I later had a look and realised it was the alternator belt that was slipping. So i tightened the belt tensioner bolt on the alternator.. Squeeling fixed.

But, the bolt under the car, for the big belt.. not sure what it runs, is fairly tight.

How tight is too tight? I can push the belt a few mm, but other than that its very tight.

I tried undoing the bolt, which is how you loosen the belt, but it just screws out without moving the adjustor wheel.

Its part of the alternator you cant miss it, just look and youll see it, the bolt is facing the body of the car not the engine. Its attached to a metal slide kind of thing so when you tighten or loosen the bolt... it pulls/pushes the alternator towards or away from the engine hence tightening the belt

Recently i was getting some squeeling from loose belts on cold startups, so i got under the car and tightened the bolt, unbeknown that it was the wrong one. I later had a look and realised it was the alternator belt that was slipping. So i tightened the belt tensioner bolt on the alternator.. Squeeling fixed.

But, the bolt under the car, for the big belt.. not sure what it runs, is fairly tight.  

How tight is too tight? I can push the belt a few mm, but other than that its very tight.

I tried undoing the bolt, which is how you loosen the belt, but it just screws out without moving the adjustor wheel.

tighten the belt until you have 5-7mm deflection on its longest run between pulleys

can some one tell me what to do to fix the problem with the aid of these pictures i just recently took, I really have no idea where to start, which bolt to tighten!

Image1

belt1.jpg

Image2

belt2.jpg

Image3

belt3.jpg

Image4

belt4.jpg

Image5

belt5.jpg

Image6

belt6.jpg

Image7

belt7.jpg

Thanks in advance for the help!!! :)

There is a bolt horizontal here:

Standing at the front of the car facing the bolt, screw the bolt out (away from you) to tighten IE it pulls the alternator further away thus thightening the belt

(click on the pic, i circled the bolt)

you have to undo the bolt that stops the alt from moving first (undo so that its loose not out of the hole) then tighten with the long bolt... and then do the fixture bolt back up

Sumo: YOU are right. the only thing is that I CANNOT undo that bolt!!! it's so farken hard stuck in!!! that bolt is screwed in from the rear of car to front of car, so to undo it you go anticlockwise from the rear looking to the front, i am lifting the spanner instead of pusing down! right? it will not budge!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

hello,there

I am sorry that I don't know any mechanical stuff but i am having squeeling noises from what i suspect to be the fan belts. This is because this happened as soon as I had the fan belts changed last week.

can anyone kindly post photos or diagrams of where the related bolts are to be tightened? thank you,everyone.