SAU Community

Copper Spark plugs for GTR

ferni

BCPR7 or BKR7. They are about $3-4 each from Repco, Bursons, etc.

If there is -11 at the end (as in BCPR7E-11) they are pre-gapped at 1.1mm.

Gap them down to 0.8mm if you have the ususal mods.

EDIT : They came out with PFR6s from factory.

ferni,

Why are you opting for coppers?? you'll be changing them every 10K~ and they provide an inferior spark to iridiums [spelling]... Go to the ngk website they have a selector there. I recently changed mine, just can't remember the code, maybe give the boys at ICE a call, they cost me around $20each. Personally I wouldn't be putting coppers in a GTR, or even a skyline for that matter.

meshmesh - thanks for the input but i think thats a personal preference...

i do plan to change them every 10000ks... since running so rich, i'm guessing they will get fouled/dirty very quickly - no matter what type of plug they are... so i'd prefer to change them at a frequent interval.

I don't see how you can get a better spark out of plats or irids - copper is the best conductor and if the spark ignites the fuel/air then how can plat spark plugs be better? the gapping is what would matter?

Looking through the forum there seems to be different opinions... and i can see why people would choose to pay more for irids / plats, since generally a higher priced product is higher quality/better - and i guess they are but only for length of life as far as i am concerned.

I did a bit of research and it seems they created the longer lasting spark plugs primarily for cars that it is a pain int he ass to change the plugs - so high labour involved = you don't want to do it to often...

in cars like ours where its a pretty easy job i can't see what the benifit would be

I honestly don't mind spending money for better quality stuff, but i think i'd be better off in the long run if i changed them every 10000ks keeping them fresh/new

The main problem with the platinum and iridium plugs is that they never do last 100000k like they're meant to :) So you end up putting in the expensive stuff but having to change em after 20000km anyway. Stick to the coppers :D

thanks duncan - exactly what i'm talking about, i think people put in the more expensive ones then dont bother checking them because htey are suppose to last 100000ks, but i think thats only on a normal car - ie not turbo/boosted/running rich car...

Just as a note, my last iridum plugs which were NGK Iriway 7's lasted 5000km's before one of them basically "shattered"... am now running NGK Platinums at 0.8mm gap yet they still misfire at high rpm, going to put a set of coppers in this weekend as they are meant to have a strong spark and see how they go.

Coppers provide a better a spark, as copper is a much better conductor.

check here: http://www.eddy-current.com/condmat.htm

Iridium's last longer as it is a MUCH harder metal than copper, and are not as prone to thermal and chemical breakdown.

Go to this website for more info: http://www.babcox.com/editorial/cm/cm120032.htm

Bosch have a silver core or silver plated plugs. Silver is a very good conductor, much better than iridium (up to 4 times better), but I don't know much about these, as i have heared no reviews, and they have limited info on their website: http://www.boschautoparts.co.uk/pcPlug5.asp?c=2&d=1

So really you need to figure out what is best for you....

If it's a daily driver.... copper

if you take it to the track often, and want long intervals between changes.... iridium

if you take it to the track, and change often.... copper

but again, these are my personal opinions, and everyone else has theirs.....

Zahos

this is becoming an interesting thread... Not the real techy type, but as advised I went with the iridums after some thread searching & tuners advice. So based on Zahos general view for street, coppers are the way to go??? :confused: I also thought iridiums run colder~ and that was also a benefit???

Amaru could your misfire issue be related to say bad tuning, coil packs, etc etc... and that's why your spark cacked it? I had a misfire issue and that's when we changed the plugs, but they it turned out the misfire was due to bad tuning by my previous tuner.. ICE fixed the problems and all's sweet now.

There is nothing wrong with using copper plugs in a GTR or any skyline.

I used them for over 2 years changing them at around 5-10k kms and they looked to be in perfect condition when i took them out.

There is a difference in physical size of BCPRs and BKRs. From memory the BKRs are smaller (shorter), i had all my old plugs in the shed but threw them all out a couple of weeks ago.

They seemed to work the same, BKRs comes pre-gapped at 0.8mm and BCPRs don't. I think BKRs come with 'v' grooves as well which is meant to provide a better spark.

S on the end stands for standard copper plug

Hence BCPR6E = V groove gapped at 0.8

BCPR6ES = non V groove gapped at 0.8

Although they fit, BKR would have the incorrect thread reach, whouch could result in a build-up of carbon deposits (see http://www.stealth316.com/2-sparkplugtech.htm )

- wait, this is for a GT-R, so I'm not entirely sure which is correct, but make sure you get the righ one. Easiest way, is ask for the recommended platinum plug for your GT-R, a BCPR and a BKR, and compare them.

Zahos