SAU Community

Door Window Tint getting scratched

PuppaDuck

I have noticed that vertical lines are developing in my tint - both doors.

Had the same tint on my R33 for about 4 years now, and have been noticing these lines for the past 6 months or so.

I always try to keep my windows clean, and won't open them when they are dirty.

Still, it seems to be getting worse over time. I notice a little nicking noise sometimes, which I assume is when it touches.

I reckon its the little white fluffy square things inside the door that hold the window outwards from the inside while it moves. If you wash the car and then open and close the window, the water line will show you where I am talking about. You can see these if you look down the door with the window open.

I rang about 20 window tinting places asking them if they service these things to stop tint damage from occuring, and NONE of them said yes. They were just interested in selling me a retint, which I can't blame them, would be better for business.

Just wondering if anyone else has ever had this problem, and what you did to overcome this. I would have assumed that if the felt was just getting dirty, that a lot of people would have the same problem.

Was thinking of popping off the door trim, looking for loose screws, and seeing how easy it would be to take those felts out to examine for sand or dirt, etc and maybe even resurface it or try buying new ones if they sell them separate.

I don't think the window guides are the issue, but what do I know.

Would prefer to seek out an option to take it to a pro first, else it'll become a DIY with guidance from the SAU crowd.

It is a common problem. I replaced all the tints on my car when I got it (they were all defective in one way or another) and the lines very faintly started appearing again on the new tints after a few months.

One time I had the door trim off and I loosened off the nut that holds down the front felt thing, and it kind of twisted slightly. I put it back where I thought it should be, and after that I could no longer hear the window squeaking on that felt anymore. Since then I haven't noticed the lines getting any worse at all.

I don't know if it was just badly aligned or pressing too firmly against the window, but if you've got the same problem it can't hurt to loosen it off and try adjusting it slightly. To me it looked to go back where it came from but whatever I did has definitely helped. Probably not perfect, but I can save myself from re-tinting that window for a lot longer than if I didn't touch it.

Yeah, its very hard to stop it scratching a little over time. Like JimX said, you can adjust it.

Otherwise its just fact that every even despite using this "Formula1 best on market, blah, blah" that it will happen sooner or later. I guess you just wait the 2 years or so before it becomes to bad and pay the $50 to get the window redone. General "wear and tear" item.

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking to tint my R33.....

Sounds like maybe I should reconsider!

Also, do any of u hear the windows make a 'crunk' noise when they are fully shut and u press the button to open them? seems like they dun open smoothly....

My friend has a 1988 celica and he has the same problem..does this happen with age????????

I am frustrated now...

windows get scrated because your rubbers are getting old and hard. if your tint is really bad, try replacing your rubbers THEN replace the tint. it should be like new. a new rubber is soft and doesnt really push a grain of dirt into the tint hrd enough to scratch it.

ive got these things on my car, although it doesnt affect the tint ? as tint is on the inside of the car and hose felt bits are on the outside part ??... thats what it sorta looks like anywyas......... leaves an ugly mark up it though, ive jus assumed its standard R33 stuff cus i seen a lot of them with it.

My R32 has several white plastic clamps that hold the rubber on top outer of the door, along with one screw at very end of door (open end). When I take this top outer rubber off, I find on it, two flat sections that have a material afixed to them. This material is supposed to keep the glass off the white plastic clamps, courtesy of the fact the material holds the window glass away from the outside of the door. Only trouble is that over time this material wears down and then you get the problems you're talking of. You can take the top outer rubber off the door and remove material, clean and supaglue new material in its place (carpet or that protector stuff you put under chairs/couches when placing them on polished floorboards). Of course, this too, over time will wear and you may need repeat the process.

Do in conjunction with repositioning of glass (see 12mm lock nuts over flat screw thread ends towards top center of exposed inner door).

my $0.02c

hey mudder, how do you reposition the glass, on my R32 the drivers side window doesn't seem to go right to the top, and it makes a little clunk noise when it stops, when i got the car there was some broken glass on the floor, so i am thinking after the importer got a new window put in they did not align it properly!

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/sh...ead.php?t=35597

As the above link would tell you this has happened to me too and im not very happy as its not covered under there warranty. Its supposively the rollers with the white cloth too tight as someone has mentioned earlier on this post. They are very tightly screwed on and i would like to know how you guys have loosened it without damaging the bolt.

Yeah got the same problem in my 33. The drivers door has one line scratched into the tint pretty bad and possibly into the window as well. Considered getting that window retinted and fixing the rollers but I guess there’s not too much point if the window is scratched too?

• 1 month later...

Bump* i have been having the same problem with my tinting so i thought i may as well track down the problem.

first there is 2 felt soft thingos on the inside of the door that hold the window from bouncing around when it is halfway up/down.

these over time start to clump together and fill full of dirt ect.

after getting new tinting i started to notice this.

there is 2 ways to fix this from scratching your tints.

a) losern the bolt holding the felt thing in place a little and slide it away from the window a few mm not far at all. then re tighten. this should stop the scratchs because it is not pressing against the window as hard as before.

B) replace the felt tips - pain in the ass - cant remove the metal clip with the felt tips attached without pulling apart whole door.

i would take picture to explain better but dunno where our camera is atm

hope this helps someone

• 1 month later...

Finally I have net access again - so I'm back baby!

Anyway just wanted to let you guys know that I had the same problem and solution results as JimX.

Wiped the black felts as much as I could just to be complete. Got the silicon spray and spent a few minutes each side making sure the tracks and rollers were lubed up. I could be wrong but have noticed the motor noise sounds slightly quieter after that, as well as the window moving slightly faster. I'm assuming its because the motor and glides have less resistance now.

As for the white felt bits that were causing the scratches...a bit hard to loosen ! probably what did it. I just loosened them. They angled as JimX said. I tried to take them out to see if I could resurface them. Couldn't get them out of the door cavity, so put them back only I didn't tighten them up as much - still firm, but not tight enough to squash the door metal to oblivion. Difference just have been a mm or two, but seems to have made the difference.

Existing scratches are there still, but I'm happy knowing they won't get worse - till I replace them one day. At least the glass is protected.

Thanks again guys !

• 3 weeks later...