SAU Community

Tacho wiring diagram plz!

ABuSD

Want to install my monster tacho, but am unsure of the wires, looked @ the Autometer site but they dont have it!

Problem is i bought the tacho off my bro in law and he had it prof. installed in his car, and doesnt have the wiring diagrams/codes.

So im after some help on the colours of the wires coming from the tacho!

Like what each colour represents!

theres four: red, white, green and brown

power, illumination, ground and revs?

but what colour does what!

Any help would b great!

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

you dont need to wire it up to the coils, just tap into the rpm signal off the ecu. there are a few diagrams of the ecu layout on these forums; just do a search.

also, i think to correct steve i think green is for the rpm signal, and white is for the illumination. It is better to tap into your dashlight wire because it you can adjust the brightness of it with the switch.

• 3 weeks later...

anyone have problems with the signal to the tacho? i've wired it up correctly but get no responce from the ECU?? when i turn on the power the needle goes to 0rpm but when the engine is running the rpm sits at 3000rpm and just stays there???

• 3 years later...

iv put tachos in many times, autometer being the easiest... best way to do it would be to take the cluster out and pull the plug out from behind the RPMs and then start the car and put the wires on the pins on the back of the plugs until you pick up the tacho signal, then splice or solder into wire behind the pin... thats what i did for my girlfriends lancer...

also if the signal doesnt read accurate check your earth wire, make sure its secure, a weak earth will make it inaccurate. better earth more accurate. test light will aid you