SAU Community

Brake Pads

sKyLyN

Guys, i need some advice on brake pads...

After getting the rear tyres changed, i was told that the rear pads need to be replaced! soon

I am wondering what/where to get replacement ones, im not looking for anything fancy or overly expensive, so if any one knows any bendix part no's, or the alike, it would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Kris

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few comments. The metal kings will wear out your discs if you are hoofing it. You don't have to machine and usually it is better to bed in a set of pads on used discs. When you bed in, it is a process of slowing several times from 80-20 or 100-40 or even better 120-40 without stopping at all over half a dozen applications. I do 200-40 to bed mine in as this gives an even application of the pad material to the disc. If you brake to a stop you can change the disc properties and create cementite spots that will feel like a warp but is felt like a shimmy in the pedal. If you have this now try to machine out but it is usually unsuccessful and needs replacement pads.

I think usually Comp9's go better in the rears with RB74's up the front?

Don't get Ultimates unless you want a pov pack sports pad. The RB74's cost more but are definitely worth it, if only in time saved in cleaning the wheels for the Ultimates! (but they are a better pad all round).

Ultimates are a dirty, squealy, disc-chewing, under-performing pad. People get attracted to the "Ultimate" name and think it means the ultimate pad. Maybe for Bendix, but Bendix are hardly the world's leaders in brake pad performance.

They are probably the best pad for under $100, as long as you don't mind the dust, noise, and harshness on your discs. But personally, I'd rather fork over an extra $30-50 and get something markedly better in all departments.

Everything you have just stated are similar to the RB74's, the only difference is that the RB's require a proper bedding in process and that they have a higher operating temp rating...

RB74's are still bloody dusty so I am wondering if you have tried both, I have and yes for intended track use use the RB74's its the Metal Kings that fudge your disks, ultimates not nearly as bad.

How hard are the RB74s on the discs?

I was thinking of going Ferodo DS2500, as I've NEVER heard anything but awesome stuff about them, on almost every forum. Altho they are beggining to get a bit pricey.

I have used both RB74's and Ultimates, and have noticed the following:

- Ultimates produce MORE dust

- Ultimates make absolutely NO noise AT ALL if you install the anti squell shims properly

- The RB74's braking power is far more superior when they are warmed up properly

- RB74's chew your discs more than Ultimates....

- You are bound to wake the dead when braking with the RB74's, even with the anti squeel shims, anti squeel glue... whatever....

I persoanlly prefer the feel of the RB74's, but I couldn't cope with the squeel. It was that loud, I was too embarassed to brake with padestrians/motorists around.... I would use the handbrake to assist me....

But the Ultimates are dead quit for me, but produce SHITE loads of dust! But anyhow I use these.

For daily driving / road use, utimates are great, but if I were to use my car on a tack (cuircut), I would prefer the RB74's of the 2......

Does anyone have RB74's on the front that make absolutely NO NOISE at all? Coz I tried about 3 times installing them with the shims and with/without glue, bedded them in properly each time, machined the rotors, but just couldn't get rid of it!

I actually put the ultimates on the wifes auto '33 a couple of years ago and I find them soft and initially very bitey but without any pedal feel as you increase pressure. Then if you overheat them they feel blurgh...as though they aren't slowing you down at all even after they cool down. They come back over a week or so though to being a very ordinary pad.

Talk to racebrakes...they would have delivered by now and the pedal feel is great with a very progressive bite as you increase pedal and have never given me worries. I brake later and harder with absolute confidence on the road and track. I asked for a very specific performance envelope and they delivered and then some. They actually run a HQ as well for fun so use their own product.

Silent as well

I have used both and would PREFER the RB74 (Race Brakes compound 74) for those unaquianted...

And yes the squal is there, I have NOT used them on a skyline but on a few other cars.

go to www.racebrakes.com.au, otherwise you can get them for a bloody good priceand they also have endless pads for the more adventurous at

www.mercurymotorsport.com.au

I only use ultimates as they are quiet and I would rather deal with a bit of dust than chewed rotors...