SAU Community

Brake Pads - Bedding In Instructions

Hi Guys, just got myself some RB74 from DBA and also, some printed instructions on how to properly bed the pads. The RB74s are notoriously famous for squealing but I had no problems with it after following the guide. Thought I share it with you all because I am pretty sure that its applicable to all new pads. :(

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEDDING IN INSTRUCTIONS

1. Install disc pads and check fit.

2. Pump brake pedal until pedal is hard.

3. Perform 2 stops from 50Kph to 20Kph with medium pedal effort.

4. Perform 6 stops from 110Kph to 70Kph with high pedal effort.

5. Drive vehicle for 10-15 minutes at 70 to 100Kph without using the brakes to allow them to cool

6. Park vehicle and allow brakes to cool to ambient temperature.

DO NOT STOP VEHICLE WHEN PADS ARE HOT DURING BEDDING.

THIS WILL SEPARATE THE PAD FORM THE BACKING PLATE

Bedding should not be performed until disc rotor has been bedded.

The disc pads will smoke and smell whilst bedding.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

btw, the pads rock!! :( They grip very well and even after a very hard drive with equally hard braking involved, i hardly noticed any brake fade at all.

cheers

glenn

Yup when the RB74's have been bedded in properly they are a fantastic pad for the price. The funny thing is... the hotter they get the more they work.

I just had new discs/pads put on my '32 and was wondering (if it's not too nosy) what you guys paid for your pads, coz i had to skimp a bit on the pads after paying for the discs, and they don't seem to be doing as good a job as the ones i took off ! any thoughts would be great..

cheers, phil

My car had RB74s on it when i got it and they work really well, i have white wheels and have just given up on keeping them clean. Anyway, brake dust is the sign of a true street racer, or so ive heard. ;)

I also just got my discs machined for $100 the lot, after i could hardly keep my foot on the brake pedal as it vibrated so much. Work awesome now, almost forgot what it was like to be able to stop quickly.

PS how much were the RB74's?

My RB74's started to squeel a bit after about 1000ks when braking slowly from about 10ks to zero but other than that all good.

They do start to fade after alot of punishment, like midway through a runup the Old Pacific Hwy but even then they feel better than the dodgy stock pads

• 2 months later...

Looking at the RB74 brake pad, i do see alot of chunk of silver + gold metal particles on the pad itself. It's that normal or i just got a faulty one? Compare to my original pad, it's much more finner particles, it's that why it squeal more noise than the original brake pad?

By the way I got a mate to install its, but i don't think he bedded !!!

The RB74's need to be bedded in really REALLY well, call racebrakes and ask for the bedding in instructions.