SAU Community

ok a 100k service question

Jimbo2000

i'm coming up on 94,000k and want to get a 100k major service done soon just ot be safe, i have had a quote from a couple of well known workshops in sydney for a serious major service for around $1200-1400 including

--------------------

Systems Check, reset memory, check all sensors and check for any fault codes.

Systems cleaner, pressurized can with long bendy hose inserted in various locations to clean carbon

build up in plenum chamber and tops of valves and ports as well as PCV and throttle body. (s)

On line injection clean.

New Iridium Spark Plugs.

Water Pump.

Thermostat

Cam belt

Drive belts.

Oil Filter

Fuel Filter

Check cam and crank seals for leaks usually OK and extra if seals required

Check cam belt pullies

All electricals, exhaust, suspension. Coolant and hoses.

Gear oil 75w- 90 or auto trans service.

Engine, gearbox and power steering get Uniglide treatment.

Clutch and brake fluid flushed and bleed.

Radiator and engine flush.

Clean and treat battery terminals.

Clean terminals to injector plugs, ignition coils.

Compression test.

Spray lubricant on throttle linkages and other.

Adjust water sprayers and additive used

Lubricate door hinges and strikers, bonnet latch, boot hinges, aerial mast.

Check and tighten sub frame and suspension and cross member bolts etc.

Tyre pressures checked and corrected.

Air filter replaced or if performance filters cleaned and re oiled.

Check list for our technicians and report given.

----------------------

just got an email back from unigroup as i have been hearing all good things about them with a quote of $750

-----------

The following is a list of the labour carried out at 100k km services for R33

Gts-25t's.

1) Replace Timing belt and ancillary belts - $280

2) Change oil and oil filter - $30

3) Coolant system air purge - $20

4) Replace fuel filter - $20

5) Replace spark plugs - $70

The following is a list of the parts needed.

Nissan timing belt $110

Ancillary belts (alternator, water pump and the like) - $90

Oil and oil filter - $50

Coolant - $25

Fuel Filter - $25

Spark Plugs - $30

That brings the service to a total of $750. We also have the options of

replenishing your gearbox/diff oils and checking their condition. If you have

questions fell free to call.

-------------

obviously the other service is a bit more in depth but would it be worth the 500 or so dollars extra?

ps. i wont need to have either the gearbox oil, injector clean or the sparkplugs replaced.

sorry for the long post

:) James

I would go with the Unigroup service and add the brake and clutch fluid change if it hasnt been done in a while. You could argue that alot of the stuff in the first quote isnt really needed. Checking all the cam and crank seals should be part of the Cam belt change anyway, Radiator and engine flushes, well if there is no sign of rubbish and corrosion in the cooling system there is a good chance there is no need for it and if Unigroup changed the coolant and noticed signs that it needed a flush they could maybe do it then. No need doing things that dont need to be done. Alot of the other things like lubricating hinges and stuff even a mechanically challenged person could really do on a sunday arvo. Some of the treatments that workshops give are also often not necessary.

Alot of lesser work shops will do major services like the first quote then basically do as little as they have to, just what they are sure you will notice, and it happens a fair bit.

With a 100K service on an RB engine alot of people like to do the water pump when they do the timing belt because the pump is very easy to change once everything is off. They are pretty cheap pumps as well but have a reputation of leaking after 100,000k's. At the same time though it may last alot longer. I guess thats why alot of people wont bother.

Originally posted by grimr33per

$25 for a fuel filter?????

Sounds about right to me. A fuel filter can be bought for around $10, so the labour would be about $15

A bit of a ripoff I know, personally I would at least replace the oil, oil filter, fuel filter, sparkplugs and coolant myself.

EDIT:: Lol I just reread the post. $45 to change the fuel filter??!! ...You're right :)

I've been gradually doing a lot of the 100k stuff along the way so when the big 100 hit, I only paid $60 :cheers: That's oil+filter, labour supplied by me.

The timing belt was changed by the previous owner at 81k, so hopefully he changed the water pump as well. If not I'll just wait for it to fail then change it, in my experience they usually leak slowly and gradually get worse as they wear out.

I also haven't changed any ancillary belts, they still look very good and were probably done when the timing belt was changed. Hoses are also pretty good.

Other things I've done recently or just after I got the car a year ago: Gearbox, clutch, brake, and diff fluids, plugs, air filter, fuel filter, idle and TPS adjust, plus other small things I can't remember. I forgot the power steering pump fluid in all this so I should do that soon.

If your car is around 80-90k or so, it's worth doing most of the above before you need to so that you don't get slugged with a bigass $1000 bill when the car gets to 100k. A lot of it you can do yourself at home with a bit of know-how. If your belt hasn't already been changed then that will be the only thing you'll need to pay for at 100k. $200-300 is a lot less than $750-$1400.

just got 100k service done yesterday.. $795 at autotech labrador.

included genuine nissan GTR timing belt, nissan N1 water pump, Nissan oil, cleaned throttle body etc

pretty much all the mentioned above

oh i got a scratch on my front bar as extra :cheers:

hey Mr R32 M-Spec

is that the just jap in kirraween?

do they do full mechanical repairs?

my poor old wagon needs a MAJOR service and a couple of mods done at the same time and i'm having trouble working out who i can get to do it.

let us know how the service goes...

• 1 year later...

ok im sh!tting myself I'm still driving my car and its at 100,250km and i still havent fully serviced my car what will happen? i dont drive like mad im just saving up money to do it?

How long will it take for Unigroup to service the car for the $750 deal?

Engine manufactured recomended timing belt change on 100000kms ,but timing belt manufacture recomended timing belt change on 80000kms.And do not forget that in Japan on clock 80000kms is so much time running engine on lights etc. so its sure change timing belt/genuine or racing one /and genuine water pump.And change all front engine seals when timing is off.I paid 116$ for genuine rb20 timing belt end seals from nissan.

U guys might wanna consider changing da idle bearing and tensioner when da timing belt gets done cause u'd onli have to pay 4 labour once.....and its pretti important them to things get done....or u will b payin heapz for a rebuild if them things fail....

• 5 weeks later...

ur car wont die if u dont do all that stuff...and why change the waterpump when its not broken?

personally i wouldnt pay anyone you dont know to do it....not worth the risk.

definently do timing belt, oil and filter, change fluids too.(u should be able to do this urself, take half a saturday if ur slow like me, if u cant do this u prob shouldnt own a car :) )

• 3 months later...

bah ill do 100kms service myself. just do all oils filters and replace P/S belt.. timing belt done 30km ago. now at 91kms..

looks like the PS belt tensioner is hiden i cant see it.

might think bout doin other stuff.

did a 80,000kms service on a UZJ100R landcruiser cost customer $900 spent an hour or so ripping off tappet cover and checking valve clearances. most of its labour fellas.

do what u can urself