SAU Community

R32 climate control

BOoStEr

Has anyone found a fix or attempted to fix the dodgy climate control display in the R32? Mine operates intermittently but much of the time parts of the display drop out or jumble. It seems to be worse with high cabin temperatures but can play up any time.

EDIT: Just thought I'd bring up this old thread of mine as I've got my climate control apart on the table right now and would like to know if anyone has fixed one successfully before and if so what did they find.

I had this problem. Some buttons didn't want to work either. Pulled it open and cleaned all the contacts and switches and stuff with contact cleaner and cotton buds. Worked perfectly for about 2 weeks then the buttons went abit intermittent but she works most of the time. Display works fine though

mine has a tendancy to not come on when i start the car, btu give it 30seconds and it will appear and all the buttons / display works perfectly after that. this only happens occasionally.

my theory is a loss of charge overnight and a bad solder joint rendering it incapable of getting enough current initially when i start.

i dunno...

• 5 months later...

my screen used to garble and drop out on the odd occasion but i think the whole lot shorted out. i turned the ac off and while the screen turned off what actually happened was the fan set itself to demist and i could not stop it. the next day when i turned the car on it set itself to demist again. what the??? after a couple of days it seemed to fix itself. i drove to work with the ac on - no problem. i turned the ac off before turning off the car - no problem. when i got back in the car 6 hours later the whole cabin smelt like burnt plastic. ive since pulled the fuse for the ac and the smell is gone but ive had no ac for a few weeks now. ive had a brief look behind the ac unit and all the wiring looks fine - no melted insulation. will try pulling the control unit apart and see if theres any burns in there. if there is how much would i expect to pay for a replacement? apparently the r33 unit is the same as the r32 unit. if this is true i will buy a 33 unit as its newer.

yeah mine also is a little tendancy to occationaly work then not work, often with a quick tap on the screen it works again......very stange, thou must be a loose connection somewhere. I'm going to have to pull the unit out and check the soldering. Also whats the deal with the button on it which when pressed shows some sort of jap writting and degrees? is that outside air temp or wot?

Bit off topic sorry but alot of the funtions also didn't work when i bought the car on the climate control but they guy gave me a pile of parts which he thought were the stock amps or something, a bit off lookin around i realised that one was the computer at the back of the car which seemed to fix both the HICAS and the climate control when i plugged it in.

Yeah mine has a few funny things with it. First, a couple buttons don't always work. Secondly, the ambient temp button used to display the actual ambient temp when i got the car, but now all i get when i press it is some jap writing....... Any ideas?

Scott

The little jap writing says ambient i think, but you should be getting the temp as well. Perhaps the sensor is not working? Dont ask me where it is though, i dont know.

Yeah mine has a few funny things with it.  First, a couple buttons don't always work.  Secondly, the ambient temp button used to display the actual ambient temp when i got the car, but now all i get when i press it is some jap writing.......  Any ideas?

Scott

I pulled the control unit apart to look for anything a bit sus like dry solder joints or dirty contacts. 3 screws and the face unclips. 2 more screws and the front circuit board pulls off.

It is connected to the rear circuit board by a row of pins that push through a socket in the front board. This connection might be where some of the problems are.

I took out the 2 screws at the back and pulled out the back CB (tight). It looked like it had been resoldered before so I tidied it up and put the thing back together. I ran it for a few minutes and it performed like new so far. Fingers crossed.

I pulled the control unit apart to look for anything a bit sus like dry solder joints or dirty contacts. 3 screws and the face unclips. 2 more screws and the front circuit board pulls off.

It is connected to the rear circuit board by a row of pins that push through a socket in the front board. This connection might be where some of the problems are.

I took out the 2 screws at the back and pulled out the back CB (tight). It looked like it had been resoldered before so I tidied it up and put the thing back together. I ran it for a few minutes and it performed like new so far. Fingers crossed.

Just pulled mine apart last night. everything looks fine so maybe mine is a prob with the wiring. will take it to an auto elec after ive payed rego. will let y'all know what the problem is so maybe can save the rest of you some money if you ever have the same prob. just hope it dont cost too much.

I think the AMB sensor is on the top of the dash, left hand side, very close to the window. Well its some sort of sensor

Ambient sensor is at the front of the car on the factory thermo fan.

As for not working.

Done a FMIC lately?, and removed it maybe.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I replaced most of the minibulbs in my CC when I had it out. I bought them from my local car accessory repair place but I've bought them before from a TV repair shop.

They cost $1.50 - $2.00 each.

You can reuse the little blue caps.