SAU Community

Copper Spark Plugs

Sumo

Hey all, Just letting you know that NGK copper spark plugs melt if you drive to hard/fast for even just small short bursts. Mine have done 6000kms and they are well and truely stuffed. Putting a set of Iridiums in... But they are not cheap @ $21 a plug

Cheers

Sumo

which plugs will suit an R33? I heard there are different thread reach & diametre, also heat range. Thread reach like how far the plug will screw into your engine, get the wrong thread reach (too deep), your plug tip might hit your piston?

i dont have a listing for a rb25 as it wasnt sold here u'll have to ring ngk and ask them ( they dont list in their website rb25's)

u r right u ll have to get the right length and heat range , if u give ngk a ring they should be able to tell u .

wrxhoon,

I checked NGK website, they do have R32 aust delivered RB26DETT plugs there. You think RB25DET uses the exact same plugs with RB26DETT?

Well I've run NGK coppers on the track for a whole day of thrashing and they seem to still be running fine for daily driving. Maybe you were running the wrong heat range?

I've used Iridiums on my last skyline....they were great but no better than a new set of coppers. I used to pull them out, clean them and put em back in and wonder why I didn't just put a brand new set of $3 coppers in...?

platinum and iridum plugs are better cause the tip is only .6 mm and u get much better spark . the reson the nickel plugs tip is thicker is cause if they made it that thin it would only last a few k's platinum and especialy iridium are much harder so last a lot longer .

typical life , nickel 30k k's , platinum 100 , iridium 150.

probably less in a turbo gtr driving it hard less still but still 5 times longer than nickel .

I used the Copper NGK BCPR6E.... which is a colder plug then is recommended. the 5 heat range is recommended.

Duncan: no idea, only put them in yesterday.... But the stalk that the plug sparks too was half melted off and gone (hopefully it didn't hurt any valves... Its prolly stuck in my cat convertor.

The Iridium plug im running now is what was recommended for the GTR BCPR6EIX-11. They seem a shit load better, its purring like a ***** now. My car is only for street use, but the thing that ****ed 4 plugs was one run from 0 -180km/h, redlining each gear. Maybe it was running to lean? Im not a mechanic so I cant tell you... But I have a sneaking suspicion thats what it was, because thats the only way it would get hot enough to melt a plug??

Sumo

P.S. With NGK the GTR and the VLT use the same BCPR prefix so I imagine they would be the same for the RB25. the number is the only thing that changes, but that relates to the heat range.

Sumo