SAU Community

Blow Off Valves on R33 GTS-T

terry.m

Hi All,

I have a few questions regarding a few things. I am relatively new to the turbo game, so excuse my ignorance :)

My R33 GTS-T is approx 5 weeks away (WOOHOO!), compliance under the new import scheme finally came through in QLD last week. I'm in Adelaide, I hope the guy in QLD will do a good job and is trustworthy. It's scary being so far away from my car and spending all this money without being able to see anything.

Now I have done a search for my following questions, I guess I'm after some 'laymans' answers as I am not as familiar as most of you out there yet.

1. Blow off valves. From what I can gather, the R33 GTS-T has one standard??? I would like to fit an after market one (I have to have the Psshhh! once in my life :() I was a fitter and turner and I do work on cars so I belive I am capable of fitting one, I just want to know where it is, what (if any) mods have to be done and what type of bov you all recommend. If anyone knows a link to some detailed instructions, it would be appreciated.

I have just ordered an R33 workshop manual ($250 ouch!), I will hopefully have it in a week or so (This will prolly answer most questions for me, but I like your opinions too).

2. I was reading the specs for the R33 GTS-T ('95...my model) on an autotraders website. It stated that it doesn't come with central locking. Is this true??? I did a search and found a lot of threads regarding the R33 locking itself at 25km. I want to arrange an alarm to be fitted prior to me getting my car, so I need to know if it will have central locking or not.

3.Is the replacement air filter in the R33 the same size as the R31? One of the first things I want to do when I get it it replace the eliment with a K&N filter.

4. When I first came across this forum I saw a comment (I think from the guy that hosts this site) asking if we could chip in financially to keep this site alive. I would like to make a contribution as this forum has helped me out so much and more than likely will do in the future. How do I go about doing this?

Thankyou for your replies

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I were you I would not get a BOV as they don't really do anything apart from make noise (and attract the cops). Also they make cars with a AFM backfire / run rich. And yes there is a BOV that comes standard but it recirculates back instead of to the atmosphere. The choice is yours some people say there are gains to be had installing a BOV, imo i don't think this is the case.

Welcome to the forums btw :)

depends if you like the whhshhhhh sound. Dont like it as it attracts too many coppas. Anyway i see you have purchased the R33 GTST Mannual? I came across some thread that alot of members from here wanted a copy on the net....*hint* :):(

get a bov if u want .. its ur car .. keep in mind the risks and hassles of having it thats all .. if ur car doesn't have central lockin which would surprise me, it doesn't cost much at all to put it in .. comes with most alarms .. make sure u get a good decent alarm though .. since i'm in adelaide, maybe u can lend me a ur copy of the workshop manual .. i'll make copies :D ... maybe u can just get a new air filter all together .. cost maybe about 200 or so for an apexi ..

good luck .. btw what colour is ur car?

this is the way i look at it, im on my ps driving a skyline, im gonna get coppa's attention no matter what and get pulled over every 2 seconds like i have been, so the bov doesnt bother me. i got the stealth skyline bov from go fast bits..

cheers..

Well if you purchase magazines like "High Performance Imports" and other such mags then you'll actually read that BOV does actually make a different. Since the air doesnt get recirculated straight back into the turbo slowing down the turbo fast hence turbo lag. A BOV releases that air so there is no slowing down of the fan and hence no turbo lag.

But the choice is up to you. Like everyone else says it attracts cops.

Cool there's another P plater with a skyline!

:burnout:

iBd14U, read up further how a BOV works. Recirculating BOVs do not 'slow down' the impeller on the intake side of the turbo; it is physically impossible that compressed air will slow a spinning impeller 'sucking' atmospheric pressure air on the inlet side.

Thank you all for your responses.

Scanning 500+ pages of the manual and converting to pdf...would take a while. I want to scan it anyway so I don't get it dirty when working on my new girl :)

I know some of you think that a bov is surpurfulous, I don't want to get in trouble with the cops either, I just love the sound :) I have enough dramas with the cops in my N13 pulsar GL ;)

Looked at ROH 17" Fury wheels for my car today. $2300 inc tyres. Gees, things have become expensive, it's been about 5 years since I've bought stuff like this, I am really out of the loop.

Hi terry...i know how u feel waiting for ur car heheehe

well i just got a BOV due blizt(the new one)...it cause me so much problem keep stalling on me..and no solit power...got rip by my friend evo3...that day.. so i took it off..and i can feel the power again...and no more stalling......after installing it for a day i took it off and put the stock one on...but i have to say BOV sound great

not for my car tho

good luck

Minh

I have a gfb hybrid valve, actually will bring boost on quicker than std bov, if you look a the back of a std bov there's a small that bleeds boost off, so as to bring it on abit softer.

Ronin 09, I think I've given the wrong idea. What I meant was if there was no BOV then it will do that to the turbo the standard BOV is fine as it is but the aftermarket BOV's are suppose to make a less turbo lag.