SAU Community

Got My Car Dyno'd... What Next?

zorb_rules

Hey guys I have an r33 it currently has little or no mods..

Pod filter, FMIC, Cat back exhaust and Boost Controller (running 9psi)

anyways on the dyno at dyno dynamics in bayswater it pulled 181.7kw.

Im looking to get around 200kw out of it without going all out on mods.. obviously next I need to get a full exhaust..

What else???

Upgrade your dump/front pipe and cat. Then the easiest way would be to turn the boost up a couple of PSI. Maybe up to 11. I'd imagine you'd be pretty close to 200 then and should only cost ya about $500ish. I'd recommend the JJR split dump/front pipe and JJR hi flow cat. Very good price, check out the JustJap sponsor area of the site.

Can top it off with some aftermarket engine management. Could get something like a SAFC II or Neo and get it tuned up. That'd be the cheapest way.

Edited by Simmo1985

thanks guys I heard the power effort wasnt too bad for those mods my mate went also he has a similar setup to me except no front mount and boost controller but a full blitz exhaust and split dump and he pulled 175... i know that in shootout mode the power figure is a lil higher that the realistic output but im still rather happy.

im also looking into the new unichip which is soon to be released the one that can be used as a full engine management system or piggy-back with the stock comp.. dynomotive quoted me around 1500 fully installed for that.. although it wont be released for a few months.

not sure of the comparison between that and something like the power fc..

you should up the boost to 12psi. 12psi will be ok on a stock ecu....do this on a dyno though to double check its not pinging etc...200rwkw should be reachable with 12psi :thumbsup:

after this if you want to run more boost, either get your ecu remapped or another standalone ecu and probably tune anywhere to 14-16psi..obviously you would need any supporting mods your car would need to run that amount of boost etc...

pod, full xhaust (dumps, hiflow car, mufflers), udp, ecu, and boosted accordingly should give you some great results...

Edited by Chad_

might wanna add a disclaimer to your advice chad before your advice blows someones turbo/engine up :thumbsup:

go past 10psi and the stock ecu will probably go into rich and retard mode making your car lose power, not gain it. go past 12psi on the stock turbo and you'll probably fry it pretty quickly :P

you should up the boost to 12psi. 12psi will be ok on a stock ecu....do this on a dyno though to double check its not pinging etc...200rwkw should be reachable with 12psi

past 12psi on your stock turbo will fry it??? woahhh not much boost ...wat size turbo is the stock skyline turbo?

mmm i was just at a shop with a tuner talking to another skyline owner giving him tips for more power. sorry if this is not correct

Edited by Chad_

past 12psi on your stock turbo will fry it??? woahhh not much boost ...wat size turbo is the stock skyline turbo?

mmm i was just at a shop with a tuner talking to another skyline owner giving him tips for more power. sorry if this is not correct

they're ceramic (series 1) and nylon (series 2)...they're not steel wheeled....12psi is the advised max for em and anything more is asking for trouble. some people's last ages on 12psi..some dont last at all. I personally know 2 guys that ran 12 for quite a while before they fried them, and 1 guy that ran 12 for half a dyno run before it let go...luck of the draw

the stock ecu doesn't like boost, so if you go past 10psi its likely to go into rich and retard which will make it slower than stock anyway

also past 12psi generally wont make any more power than it does on 12psi anyway...just create more problems

as for the workshop you were at....doesn't sound like he has any idea what he's talking about :thumbsup:

ahh yes thats the reason why they dont behave well when boost is upped because they are ceramic.

yup when boost is upped if detonation occurs ecu is thrown into safe mode (richer fuel map, timing retard etc)

12psi aint much at all, these turbos loose effieciency after 12psi...ahhh this is why i see so many skylines with huge turbo upgrades...

i wonder why nissan put a ceramic turbo in it...are they all ceramic even up to the r34? or did nissan change this?

good info :thumbsup:

Edited by Chad_

Dont pay 1500 for a unichip get a power fc its a full replacement ecu and a lot better I can tell u that much and its cheaper.

good luck finding a SECOND HAND pfc for the price new 1's went for back in the day.

they sell for anywhere from $1-2k second hand these days :D

Scan in your dyno sheet and then photoshop the number 200 on there, done.

:D It's just a number mate...don't stress about it too much.

That is so true.

A dyno is only a tuning tool.Take it down the 1/4 mile to see results.

yeah i know guys its all just a number just like the skyline is just a car but we dont say that all now do we :thumbsup:

Wayne let me know when your free the exhaust is locked away in the back shed I can bring it any time :woot:

As for the unichip power fc debate.. as I was saying at the end of this year unichip are bringing out a new module onto the market can be used as both a piggy back and full stand alone unit.. so for 1500-2000 inc tuning I reckon it might work out a lil cheaper than then power fc..