SAU Community

boost Gauge installation

This is for an R33, and is the way i done it for me and a few mates, if ya got a different car to the on ein ya avatar let me kno, i've done a fair few gauges now. ;)

Step 1: Locate vaccum line on back of intake manifold which if you follow is the only vaccum line goin off that part to in front of the driver in the top left corner of the engine bay where it goes into a small black unit which is the factory boost gauge unit.

Step 2: Cut this line half way and fit a t-piece into it.

Step 3: Fit extra vaccum line onto the t-piece and run it through the firewall hole near the factory bost gauge unit and down to near the drivers pedals (you'll have to really get under the steering wheel and shove ya hand up there and move the carpet to the side to do so. Once you find the line run it to where you want. (Don't use the nylon vaccum line supplied, only use it to connect the the black rubber vaccum line to the boost gauge at the gold fitting behind the gauge. Only about 6cm or so of the white stuff then throw the rest, it bends to easy and restricts the reading of the boost gauge as it comes all wound up with the gauge and is impossible to straighten without it bending anywhere.

Step 4: Fit the gauge cup to where you want the gauge to be positioned.

Step 5: With the wire coming off the back of the boost gauge, run the black to a solid ground, and run the red to the positive wire coming off the back of your cigarette lighter. This way when you turn on your lights at night, the gauge will light up also.

Step 6: Hide all the wiring and use convoluted tubing to hide boost gauge line and wires to make it neat and hidden. Fit gauge to cup and start boostn :(;)

• 1 year later...

How do you connect the black vaccum line to the line at the back of the gauge? I'm trying to connect an Autometer gauge and the line coming out of the back is smaller than the black vaccum line.

Do you just stick the gauge line into the black vaccum line, or what? :confused:

• 2 years later...

aaaaaaaah! mine came with that thin copper line. im shovin it down the fire wall holl from the engine bay... but I CANT FUDGING FIND IT FROM THE CABIN!!!!!!!!! IVE BEEN AT IT FOR ALMOST 2 HOURS NOW AND STILL NO LUCK!!!!!!!

I have however found it running BETWEEN my front right hand panel and my cabin.... you know, you can see it from opening the drivers door and looking through the gap the hinge connects too...... this is reeeeeeeeally sending me insane.

Can someone take a photo of where the fire wall hole end is from the cabin view? i just cant find it!!!!!!!

plz help

• 3 years later...
aaaaaaaah! mine came with that thin copper line. im shovin it down the fire wall holl from the engine bay... but I CANT FUDGING FIND IT FROM THE CABIN!!!!!!!!! IVE BEEN AT IT FOR ALMOST 2 HOURS NOW AND STILL NO LUCK!!!!!!!

I have however found it running BETWEEN my front right hand panel and my cabin.... you know, you can see it from opening the drivers door and looking through the gap the hinge connects too...... this is reeeeeeeeally sending me insane.

Can someone take a photo of where the fire wall hole end is from the cabin view? i just cant find it!!!!!!!

plz help

I second that!

Just tryin to feed it through to under the steering wheel area and getting nowhere. I am feeding it through a hole just a little bottom left of where the throttle cable exits the firewall. Is this the correct hole? where is it suppose to come out? Or do I drill a hole lol.

Edited by senilykSkylines

I second that!

Just tryin to feed it through to under the steering wheel area and getting nowhere. I am feeding it through a hole just a little bottom left of where the throttle cable exits the firewall. Is this the correct hole? where is it suppose to come out? Or do I drill a hole lol.

Lol, Blast from the past dude but,

Yeah use one of the existing firewall holes, usually they have a rubber grommet you can run your line through, DONT DRILL HOLES !

Step 1: Locate vaccum line on back of intake manifold which if you follow is the only vaccum line goin off that part to in front of the driver in the top left corner of the engine bay where it goes into a small black unit which is the factory boost gauge unit.

You dont have to cut this....

Your gauge should come with

T-piece

Little hose for t-piece

vac line

gauge

So pull the line off, put in your t-piece. Put the line for the t-piece on and put it back in the same spot you pulled the vac line out off. connect vac line to other bit of t-piece then to your gauge. done

if it helps, there is a hole on the bottom right drivers side footwell (you'll have to pull back the kick panel) from this hole it feeds perfectly to were the factory boost sensor is (the little black box on the left side of engine behind the strut tower)

Edited by defari

if it helps, there is a hole on the bottom right drivers side footwell (you'll have to pull back the kick panel) from this hole it feeds perfectly to were the factory boost sensor is (the little black box on the left side of engine behind the strut tower)

Sorry for my ignorance but what do you mean by kick panel? Is that the plastic cover just to the right of the throttle pedal that seems to cover a whole lot of wires on the side?

cheers

yep thats what i was referring to. there should be a screw at the back next to accelerator and 2-3 clips next to the driver side door - after you've undone the screw, a little bit of force and the panel should just pop out (be careful though).

you should see a fair few wires etc, gently push them to one side and look upwards towards the right - there should be a hole there. Obviously best to do it in the day light. If you cant see it, pop your bonnet - look at left strut tower - behind that there should be a black box (factory boost sensor) below that is where the hole should be (from memory)

ill take a pic if you want.