SAU Community

My 300rwkw Adventures

Well, all I can say is this.

"So, what ya think its gonna make?" Says my good friend Leppy In a Half cocky tone with a cheesy grin, but meaning well.

"Ah I dunno, maybe 260rwkw - 280rwkw?" I said, being not so sure.

Then Leppy, Puts my car in 4th Gear and stands on the throttle.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Not bad eh?

Mods -

Apexi PowerFC and Datalogit

Standard Motor, Standard Cams

Standard Exhaust Manifold

Garrett GT3037 Turbo. (76mm Compressor, 56trim, 0.6 comp cover,0.63 garret IG rear housing, 60mm turbine, 84trim) at 18psi of boost via Gizmo boost controller.

Nismo 555c Fuel Sprayers

Hybrid 600x300x75mm FMIC

Standard Intake Manifold

Boost Cooler Water methanol system, running minimal Water and Meth (Need to top it up every second tank of fuel)

Walbro 245lph Fuel Pump

Standard FPR

All tuning done by ME.

Lots of Ignition timing, no knock, and lots of patience.

Car is a R33 RB25DET, 1996 model.

People I expect to make an appearance here -

Dale FZ1

Discopotato03

Cubes

anyone else with constructive input.

Car is going really well, I think I need to get a new fuel pump to stop that lean at the end of the AFR's. Its not knocking, so I'll just be careful, and limit my revs until I get it fixed.

Oh, and apparently the Dynodynamics dyno's in mackay here (there are 2) are reading 10rwkw - 20rwkw MORE than this dyno.

Edited by The Mafia

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

dunno, but its been like this for the last 6 months, and hasn't batted an eyelid. Oh, and its ran 18psi for nearly 2 years. 1 of those years had a constant 250rwkw.

Edited by The Mafia

dunno, but its been like this for the last 6 months, and hasn't batted an eyelid. Oh, and its ran 18psi for nearly 2 years. 1 of those years had a constant 250rwkw.

That pretty impressive, mate of mine was running 400rwhp with stock internals and 18psi. He got about 3 months before it went boom.

But i suppose its how you drive it or just luck.

That pretty impressive, mate of mine was running 400rwhp with stock internals and 18psi. He got about 3 months before it went boom.

But i suppose its how you drive it or just luck.

Nah, I don't think its luck, its all about setup and how careful you are.

Things that can cause failure:

1. Tune

2. Driver

3. Bouncing off the Rev Limiter all the time

4. Cheap parts

5. Identifying Knock

For me,

1. I do my own tune

2. I drive smart, not wreckless towards my engine

3. I don't bounce off the rev limiter.

4. I use Parts that are tested and known.

5. I can see knock BEFORE it happens.

Hey it might last a week more, or a year more, who knows. But I'll take care of her, like I have been for the last 3 years.

Edited by The Mafia

She's a bit lean overall in the top end but otherwise a really good result.

Very nice flat curvo so I imagine its really nice to drive.

as I said, simple fix for the lean out at the very top.

Mate, its f**king fantastic to drive.

Hello Maffia...new avatar...congrates on the tune.....

Just wanted to make sure about this curve everyone is talking about.

I have had a tune at 5km's an hour intervals ...you have 15km's an hour intervals.....

Is this why your graph looks so much better than mine...

Did not mean to high-jack this thread...it is just interesting that the curves with 15km's an hour tuning results end up so linear...ie there is no figures it can plot between each reading.....

I personally would get the tune mapped at 5km's an hour intervals...showing all the figures and then you may be able to see if the tune is linear or not.ie..the torque has only three plots to take this from...350 to 650....Nm one at 350 one at around 520 then the last at 650...

So if I am not mis-taken...all your tune results were plotted from 8....(that is correct) points...which is not a good indication...although it will give you such a good looking graph

Cheers.

Good job well done there, Similar setup to mine part from i dont have the water/meth in mine and i only got like 230 on a chasis dyno on 18psi, although overall im using the standard 3037 0.68 IW housing and forged bottem, and bald shitty 205 rear tyres, Interesting but well done

Cheers

Curiosity got the better of me, just had to play with some figures and see.

First thing I discovered was that the pumping efficiency of the GT30 turbocharger unit (and this in many/most ways refers to the low backpressure of the turbine) gave significantly better effective volumetric efficiency compared to any of the small frame GT28 turbos I'd studied. Basically, less backpressure means the cylinders are able to better expel exhaust gases (ie. scavenging) so there is less dilution of the intake charge with remaining exhaust, and increased filling of the cylinders with fresh intake charge mass. Try around 110% effective volumetric efficiency for something like a GT2530 or my highflow, against 120+% calculated for this GT3076.

That is a big gain, and means that the compressor just doesn't have to work as hard because overall conditions are better.

BTW, the shape of those graphs is outstanding - the full load delivery (which is what the dyno is measuring) is very linear.

Now, I know for a fact that there was much discussion a while back about the value (or otherwise) of the T04S compressor assembly used on your previous highflow. I also happen to know you have gone for a 6 bladed impeller option with this unit (CHRA 700177-5007; correct?). Not a fair back-to-back comparison of compressors, but how do you find the actual on-road response when driving from low rpm and load into boost and the hang-on-tight zone? Clearly the results you've got are very very good, not just down to the hardware fitted either. But I've got to ask the question if you have an opinion about this much discussed "proper" GT30 - is the gain due to turbine efficiency, and is there any noticeable downside to the compressor assembly you chose?

I've got more questions, but out of time.

It might be worth sharing with us what your exact performance target was, and what use you intend putting the vehicle to. Surely it's not a dyno queen?

Edited by Dale FZ1

Curiosity got the better of me, just had to play with some figures and see.

First thing I discovered was that the pumping efficiency of the GT30 turbocharger unit (and this in many/most ways refers to the low backpressure of the turbine) gave significantly better effective volumetric efficiency compared to any of the small frame GT28 turbos I'd studied. Basically, less backpressure means the cylinders are able to better expel exhaust gases (ie. scavenging) so there is less dilution of the intake charge with remaining exhaust, and increased filling of the cylinders with fresh intake charge mass. Try around 110% effective volumetric efficiency for something like a GT2530 or my highflow, against 120+% calculated for this GT3076.

That is a big gain, and means that the compressor just doesn't have to work as hard because overall conditions are better.

BTW, the shape of those graphs is outstanding - the full load delivery (which is what the dyno is measuring) is very linear.

Now, I know for a fact that there was much discussion a while back about the value (or otherwise) of the T04S compressor assembly used on your previous highflow. I also happen to know you have gone for a 6 bladed impeller option with this unit (CHRA 700177-5007; correct?). Not a fair back-to-back comparison of compressors, but how do you find the actual on-road response when driving from low rpm and load into boost and the hang-on-tight zone? Clearly the results you've got are very very good, not just down to the hardware fitted either. But I've got to ask the question if you have an opinion about this much discussed "proper" GT30 - is the gain due to turbine efficiency, and is there any noticeable downside to the compressor assembly you chose?

I've got more questions, but out of time.

It might be worth sharing with us what your exact performance target was, and what use you intend putting the vehicle to. Surely it's not a dyno queen?

Hey Dale

A few answers to your questions:

The 6 blade compressor I find is LESS responsive than the 7 blade compressor. Most likely due to the 6 blade being a little more lazy than the 7 blade down low. The 7 blade would obviously move more air at a low RPM.

This talk about the "Proper" GT30 is a load of shit. They are all GT30's in essence, they are just configured differently for different applications.

I'd love to try a 7 blade Configuration, with the bigger 60mm 84 trim turbine. I think that would move some air, and come onto boost relatively early.

Awesome result. And a .63 garret IW + water/meth = very nice streeter.

Top work. So........... Whats the boost vs rpm your seeing in top gear?

A little boost creep I see... Whats your dump pipe setup? Are you running a split 2" wastegate and 3" dump?

Regardless considering the power being made and the small exh. a/r the garrett IW is doing well.

I've gone with the gt3076 .82 iw 1bar w/g on the 3ltr so also expecting close to 300rwkw on the usual 18-20psi, GO GT35 every one said.. bah I have no need for a turbo that has the capability to make close to 400rwkw, its a waste of response and spool.

I hope the mid range of the smaller turbo doesn't fry the tyres too easily. :)

Hello Maffia...new avatar...congrates on the tune.....

Just wanted to make sure about this curve everyone is talking about.

I have had a tune at 5km's an hour intervals ...you have 15km's an hour intervals.....

Is this why your graph looks so much better than mine...

Did not mean to high-jack this thread...it is just interesting that the curves with 15km's an hour tuning results end up so linear...ie there is no figures it can plot between each reading.....

I personally would get the tune mapped at 5km's an hour intervals...showing all the figures and then you may be able to see if the tune is linear or not.ie..the torque has only three plots to take this from...350 to 650....Nm one at 350 one at around 520 then the last at 650...

So if I am not mis-taken...all your tune results were plotted from 8....(that is correct) points...which is not a good indication...although it will give you such a good looking graph

Cheers.

This is not the plotting/sampling rate, it is the ramp rate, the speed at which the dyno allows the engine to rev. Running a 5kmh/sec ramp rate is crazy on a turbo car, the first time i dyno tunes(on a piece of shit vane dyno)the operator got me to do that, and i cant believe the motor didnt blow up, the dyno pull would take 24 seconds!! Great results mafia, just get that pump fixed and ride the torque wave.