SAU Community

Ecutalk Consult Interface

NewKleer

ECUTalk Consult Interface (Serial)

Group Buy Over - All cables are sold - there are no more.

interface.jpg

So I got sidetracked from doing uni work a couple weeks ago when yet another person asked about the now antiquated DIY Consult Kit that I made a while ago now, and I routinely get asked whether there are any decent alternatives to the more expensive consult interfaces available. The DIY kit group buy finished at the start of last year, and since then I was working on the consult lcd display, which will make a second appearance in Q3 2007, after uni is over and done with (finally!).

So anyway, I made a surface mount/SMD (aka "small") circuit that will fit inside the grey DB9 serial connector (no box in cable or any other adaptors). Will come with proper consult plug. Check out the pics at the top of this post for a quick "mockup" cable I made. Cable length will be 200cm. Plugs into serial port (9 pin male) on your laptop (or serial sync cable + null modem adaptor for Pocket PC). I will have limited usb/serial converters available, +$20.

What is Consult?: Consult is a dianostic protocol in Nissan cars produced in the 90s that have a grey, 14 pin diagnostic connector (usually near fusebox, see pic below). Features include ability to read sensor values (afm, rpm, speed, coolant, o2, etc), trouble codes and active tests (eg shutting cylinder off), depending on which software you use. It should work on: R32 (~11/89+, find your 23710-xxxxx part number and i can confirm for you if you have 89 model), R33, R34, Z32, S13 (SR20 only), S14, S15, N14, N15. It will work on standard Nissan ECUs only, not aftermarket computers. No, it won't work on PowerFC (google fc datalogit). Should work fine with piggyback computers and remapped ECUs. Anyone with engine conversions should ensure the consult plug is there and connected properly. You can't change or remap your ECU via consult! You might read the initial ROM contents with consult, but thats about all it has to do with remapping (aside from monitoring/diagnosing issues with a remapped ecu).

Software - will NOT be provided on a cd - can be download from here:

ECUTalk - made by yours truly. Screenshots here. Works on laptop/pc and Pocket PC! Requires .NET Framework 1.1 (.NET Compact Framework 1.0 for Pocket PC). Read/clear fault codes, log sensors, view gauges. Has additional instant fuel economy L/100KM (or MPG) "sensor". I'm sure its all on the website.

TECU - use for active tests

Calumsult - use for rom dumping, but use this .exe placed in same dir after you install.

Scheduling:

Monday, May 14 is the expected start of availability. I won't take payment up front, but would ask you dont ask people to register interest who have no intention of going through with it, just to boost the numbers. I only do this as a hobby, a way for me to learn new things.

The interfaces require minor assembly, so they'll be sold from first to last as determined by the order on the list - it may take a few weeks to get them all done. The only exception to this is for people getting a usb/serial adaptor who may get theirs a bit later if usb/serial adaptor holds things up.

As interfaces become available, people in turn will be asked to make payment. If you dont do so within a reasonable period, you will be placed at the end, and in my naughty book! If you are a girl and want to pull out, just tell me so I dont waste any more time than need be.

Cost:

If you've donated to SAU: $55 including postage

If you haven't donated: $60 including postage (I'll donate $2 for each of these to SAU, at the end)

+$20 usb/serial converter

Express post: $3 extra, next day delivery if ur inside express post network, otherwise normally 2 days. Standard post is almost certainly next day for those in Sydney metro, so you needn't bother with this unless you think the worst of auspost!

Paypal: $2 extra (but instant transfer, can pay with credit card via this link you dont have an account).

Payment via Bank Deposit normally clears the next day if payment made before 4pm the day before, depending on your bank. If you deposit in a St George branch (my bank), it will arrive instantly.

Sent

Donated $24 on 10/08/2007 for the 12 people who bought a cable who hadn't donated.

The connector you will find in your car, and couple pics of ecutalk software:

consult_car.jpgecutalk_v1.3_sensors.jpg ecutalk_v1.2_12sensorss.jpg

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeh it should have it no problems. usb converter will most likely be +$20 (you only need one if ur laptop doesnt have serial ports, usb isnt "better" than a normal serial port). there may be delays will the usb converters also, but ill aim to try have them ready same time.

yeh it should have it no problems. usb converter will most likely be +$20 (you only need one if ur laptop doesnt have serial ports, usb isnt "better" than a normal serial port). there may be delays will the usb converters also, but ill aim to try have them ready same time.

Yeah, the laptop is one of those sony vaio ones and it doesn't have many places to plug stuff in. I think USB may be the only option, but I'll double check tonight when I get home. Definitely keen. Heaps cheaper than buying even one of the gauges that it can show.

yes, just confirm the connector if ur unsure. i guess for anyone that gets one which doesnt work on their car for whatever reason (eg aftermarket ecu u didnt know about) i can always offer refund minus postage, but obviously best to check first