SAU Community

**breaking News** V36 Skyline Convertable!

Rezz

**I would've posted this in the Next Skyline section but I thought it was too special.

At the New York Show it was revealed that a V36 Skyline Coupe Convertable is on the cards for a 2009 release, at the very least as an Infiniti in the US, with a domestic Japan release as yet undecided. Not since the Prince Skyline Sports of 1961 has there been a Skyline Convertable of any sort:

gallery_4816_8_14487.jpg

gallery_4816_41_373609.jpg

Yes it's just CG but it gives a good idea of what to expect.

The convertable will obviously be based on the V36 Skyline Coupe, but with updated running gear as the Series II V36 will be scheduled for sale by then. One other ineteresting thing is the engine, a VQ37*VHR* from the Coupe, with a new VVEL 'electric motor driven camshaft switching' valvegear... more on this later when I get a chance to fully translate the article. The new engine is more efficient, produce less emissions, still have the high response of the current VQ35HR, and have higher capacity and torque to boot. I don't know, but this seems like the last hurrah of the conventional petrol engine for some reason...? Theres ALOT of technology going into it and theres not a turbocharger in sight... more later.

*Edit: The VQ37VHR is even more environmentally friendly than the current engine, but with even more response and torque right throughout the rev range. Reduced 'pumping loss' and reduced total exhaust emissions, with CO2 reduced by 10% aswell make this a very green enigine but still producing 330HP. Internal friction is another area which has had even more attention paid to, resulting in even higher response and acceleration which is sensitive to even minor throttle input. these points were touched on but not divulged completely, so more and more information about these improvements will be cleared up later in the year.

**Edit: VVEL DC motor controlled camshaft profile prounced 'Vee-Vell'

A DC motor is connected via threaded shaft to a 'control shaft' with a rocker arm attached, which then, via a link (shaped much like a conrod) moves another driveshaft which is positioned side by side to the previous mentioned 'control shaft'. The driveshaft had cam lobes positioned along the driveshaft, but are able to spin around freely on it, their profile is governed by the position of the driveshaft in relation to the control shaft; either being positoned closer or further away from it. What this essentially means is that the 'cam profile' is infinitely variable... there is no cam switching here, nor is there a 'switching point' or limits to the the camshaft profile (within reason). Variable Valve Event and Lift system or VVEL. My translation wasn't so good so... Check (if you live in usa): Publix Weekly Ad, or Big W toy catalogue.

Link to Nissan's VVEL explanation

gallery_4816_41_246561.jpg

The VVEL diagram

gallery_4816_41_63865.jpg

A better pic of the VVEL mechanism.

gallery_4816_41_152701.jpg

The VVEL page... sorry the flash covered the diagram with the electric motor mechanism and cams.

love it how nissan is finally looking into camshaft switching!!!

next step is 3d profiled camshafts - bring on ferrari technology!

on a downside - i can see this messing with alot of aftermarket turbo/tuning options.