SAU Community

Help! My R33's Gearbox Is Rooted!

Hardman69

4th gear synchro's are cactus, and there's something majorly wrong with the selector fork and/or rod for 3rd/4th.

fix'n or replacin' - I don't really mind, as long as I have a properly working 'box at the end of it! :)

See last post for current situation . . . . all good so far !

Saw one in the FS section the other day for $1550, claims it came out of a low km car...

That's Stoney up in Sydney?

I've phoned around a few places, sounds like $500->$1500 to rebuild, depending on what's busted-up in there.

Oh - and Nismoid: 4th's synchros have been going steadily downhill for ages, I think that's lead directly to the selector problem. The actual Cogs feel Primo ! ! :pirate:

yeah i busted my 3rd/4th selector fork in half.... just picked up a second hand box and scored a good one!

its a bit of a gamble.... but if you dont want that, just rebuild it...

just for parts from nissan alone, all bearings, all syncros and a 3rd/4th gear selector fork was quoted at ~$1400 trade

so depends what parts you need, and whats wrong with the box

-Ruffels

hey mate, a good place to get a rebuild is 360 gearboxes, they are in kilsyth.

The guy who owns it name is bryan.

he knows skylines back to front. so he would be your best bet.

Address

Fcty7/ 229 Colchester Rd

Kilsyth

VIC, 3137

Australia

Contact Details

Ph:

(03) 9761 6866

http://www.360gearboxesdiffs.com.au/first.html

i got a sweet GTR box (cluster only) you can have for $500 it is dissasembled for inspection and all the parts you need are the same as gtst. located in keysie/dandy area.

Edited by URAS

So, 'box is dropped, Here's some of what came out with the (pretty, shiny) oil:

Pretty_Oil.jpg

Plug_2.jpg

Note the Lil' clip here, left of the plug - that dropped out with the oil. Who KNOWS what else lies at the bottom of the Box?!

Plug_1.jpg

Pretty_Oil_and_Shiny_bits.jpg

Saw plenty of Synchro-shards, and OOOHH BOY is there some filings in that-thaaar oil !

Competition Gearboxs in Croydon. (03) 97233380 or 0408650060. They specialize in Jap gearbox's.

Factory 6/35 Lusher Rd, Croydon.

My mate Kris (O-Y-K-B on here) got his rebuilt through them an his was probably in worse condition than yours. Good quality work done at a reasonable price (cheaper than a secondhand box) . Price all depends on the ammount of damage i guess.

best of luck

Yeah, thanks abcent - A mate in the trade is seeing in the morning if he can get a changeover from Japanese Gearbox Wholesalers in Rowville, if not I'll probably flip a coin between 360 and Competition - they both sound pretty good, and charge similar rates, and they're practically a stone's throw from each other !

I did the same in my 33 twice :stupid:

I had the second box rebuilt with a new 3rd/4th fork bearings and syncros. Cost about $1500. It seems fine to drive I just have to go easy with the gear changes.

Goodluck with it anyway.

Edited by WHITER33GTS-T

yeh i rate competition gearboxes highly he said mine was the worste he had seen, literly no first and second, nd fourth was practicly gone rebuild cost 1400 bucks neva had a drama again

Talked to Simon @Competition gearboxes today, He said the input shaft is rooted, as well as the 3rd/4th selector sleeve. 3rd/4th selector fork is SHATTERED, with half lying on the bottom of the gearbox case - 4th syncro is more or less gorne!

Shall see how We go with the parts/rebuild - fingers crossed !

Talked to Simon @Competition gearboxes today, He said the input shaft is rooted, as well as the 3rd/4th selector sleeve. 3rd/4th selector fork is SHATTERED, with half lying on the bottom of the gearbox case - 4th syncro is more or less gorne!

I had Simon rebuild my gearbox about 3years ago.

I needed a new reverse gear (wtf did the previous owner do to it??) & the 4th gear synco was crunching when changing above 4000rpm.

He fixed the reverse and is all good 3 years on....but the 4 gear syncro problem reappeared after close to 2 years had passed....and i do NOT flat shift :)

thinking about another rebuild now....:)