SAU Community

GT-t spare key cutting - electronic chip?

ARGH34

Just a quick question.

Has anybody ever tried to cut a spare key for an R34 GT-T?

Is anybody aware whether Skyline keys have a built in electronic chip that needs to be replaced from Nissan? Or can you just get your local keysmith to chop you a copy?

My keysmith said that I should check because even your average Camry has built-in chips that need to be replicated from the factory, and cutting a key will open your door but won't start the car. Nissan dealer hasn't been all too helpful either.

Wanted to check with someone before I spend a huge $8 cutting a key that might not start my car..

By the way my GT-T is a '98 model.

There is a chip [PCB] inside, you can see it after undoing the screw but I think its only related to the remote central locks. Sorry I may not be much help - but I want to know the answer to this also [driving around without a spare key is asking for trouble]. BUMP :P

• Like 1

Yeah I'm packing myself. I only got 1 key and I need a spare. A friend got his Camry keys stolen and had to get the replacement electronic chip key from the factory.

Cost = $895.00 , had to claim on insurance.

Anybody know?

I have a spare key that does not have the chip inside it (I find the main key too bulky). It starts the engine. I'm pretty sure you can just have it cut the usual way. You will also note that a lot of Jap import shops sell those fancy Nismo or GTR blank keys.

get the key number off the key and then go see a locksmith. They will be able to get it cut from the key number.

thats the best way to do it. unique autosports have the Nismo keys for about 110-120 bucks from memory.

All done :(

No computer chip in the key.. I didn't want an ugly metal head key, so I got a factory nissan one with the little rubber bit on the head. Cost me $20 plus a couple of dollars for the cutting from the keysmith.

Thanks for the help fellas.

hey, are you talking to ARGH or Me Ronin?

I will take it, if it suits - after all *I* am nismoR34 ;) + ARGH34 u already got yours :P

I didnt know there were different sizes.

Yeah NismoR34, just have to check if you have the key i'm talking about. As i understand it there is a shorter on (like the R33 GTS-ts) and a longer one that suits ???. PM Me and i'll get in contact with you so you can check it out.

Yeah, and pic coming soon ;)

Yeah there are different sizes, coz the first Nissan dealer gave me a key but the keysmith couldn't do it because it was too small. That key was $10. Went to a different dealer who gave me one that suited the R34 which was $20. Bit of a rip, but eh, what's $20 compared to changing your ignition barrel and door locks if you lose your only key :D

Yeah Nismo you can have the key since you're both in Melbourne, I'm in Perth..

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 years later...