SAU Community

R32 gtst timing belt/ water pump

steve_R32

Searched, and not found any concrete answers......

Can some one please tell me a definate part number (genuine, and/or non- genuine) for the R32 gts-t's RB20DET timing belt, and the water pump.

I want to be sure, so I dont have to pull it apart before I buy parts..

I have heard that the water pump is the same as the RB30 locally offered motor, but then I have heard that a bolt hole doesnt line up properly..

Where can I get a timing belt from, if not only the nissan dealer.. (I'm in Adelaide, southern suburbs) Tried motortraders, repco, sprint auto..no such luck..

Surely some of you R32 gtst owners have done the belt change yourselves? Or does everyone pay someone else to do it?

Any help is appreciated!

Steve

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was told that the water pump was the same as the VL ones, i ended getting a genuine one from nissan the suit the rb20 for about $100 so it was not much more than the cheap ones. I then got a gasket from roccas for a VL and it was the same as the water pump so the bolt holes are the same but i cant be sure they are identical.

Nissan is the only place you will probably find a timing belt. Try diff dealers as the price varies a lot for all parts, i get my stuff from north east nissan and get stuf the next day from melboure, they have most parts there.

water pump is the RB30 one, you can order it through coventrys, around $80-90 from memory

i called a nissan dealer and asked for an RB20DET timing belt... never got the part number

be warned youll need a rattlegun for the crank pulley bolt. its actually a job better tackled by a workshop. (i try and do everything myself as well, but sometimes it just aint worth it)

To remove the harmonic balancer you will need a harmonic balancer remover kit some thich washes and 6mm bolts that are fairly long as they screw in to the harmonic balancer.

The bolt is fairly easy to remove.

But I am bodgy when I work as I get angry easily when working on cars.

With the Nissan belt you get markings on the belt that line up with the cam gears. When purchasing the new belt I found that my head had previously been off and who ever replace the cam belt previously had thrown out the crank gear timing by 1 tooth.

As far as I know the non genuine belt doesn't have any markings.

The price for the genuine belt is $100.

Cheers all, looks like I'm off to chat with the Nissan blokes.

I do some work for a nissan dealer, so hopefully the parts section will be nice to me. Was hoping to get the bits from somewhere that was NOT nissan, but ahh well..

As for the puller, Who did yours -Joel-?

Can I buy a puller that will do the job from somewhere?

I'd rather do the job myself, I simply don't trust any workshops, nor want to pay more then I have to. I do all of my own mech. work.

Any other info would be uber-helpful :)

Cheers,

Steve

I did mine my self.

Wasn't hard.. I bought the puller from Sprint Auto Parts or Rocker Bro's.. One of them was cheaper than the other I can't remember. :D

Have a look at your harmonic balancer tomorrow, you will notice two small threaded holes on either side of the center nut that holds the harmonic balancer on. You will need two longish Hightensile Bolts that will be long enough to screw in and also reach the puller. You will also need some thick washers that won't bend as the bolts you buy will be to small for the puller hence you need washers.

Seriously get the genuine cam belt its got the markings on it so that you can't stuff anything up.. it isn't that much more expensive. Only 15-20 when I checked.

Also don't do the tensioner up to tight when you have the new cam belt on... Just pinch it tight don't force it. The tensioner needs an Allen key so make sure you have a set on hand.. hrmm obviously you will anyway as the cover needs an allen key.

You will have to pull your radiator out.

Either Grab a VL Thermostat from motormates for $25 or buy a genuine nissan one for $50.

I used the aftermarket one and got a dud :) it stays open..

Remember to bleed the head when all is done.

Oh and just a tip to save you stressing.

Remove the Harmonic Balancer before you start undoing the front cam belt cover.

heheh lol.. I remember when I did mine. I began stressing out as I was unable to remove the harmonic balancer. Mine was very very stiff.. So make sure you get thick washers that don't bend like mine did.

Obviously you will need a huge arsed socket to remove the harmonic balancer nut.