SAU Community

R32 Speedo Steering Sensor Conversion

arep3

When I was looking for a new speedo for my GTR a lot of people told me that I MUST buy the correct year speedo that fits my car. (89 mdl.) I found a full Nismo 320km/h cluster set on Yahoo Japan going cheap so I bought it. I was told it would fit an 89mdl. It didnt....

There is little difference in the speedo itself from what I can see. Just a revised version. Apart from the speed sensor. This little sucker controls how strong the power steering is VS the speed you are travelling.

If you got caught out with the different year speedo like me, this is how to swap the sensors around.

Tools needed:

A small phillips head screwdriver. (magnetic tipped would be a great help)

Yep thats it!

Now the fun part...

I'd recommend a really clean workbench or desk, a steady clean set of hands and a lot of patience.

Don't touch the speedo face as it leaves fingermarks on it and it's damn near impossible to remove them. There's clear plastic 'handles' on the sides of the speedo. I used them.

1 The 89 mdl speed sensor has 3 screws holding it onto the speedo. Undoing the top screw (closest to the face) will allow the trip meter to fall out. It doesnt matter if it comes off as its easy to put back on later. I removed mine on purpose so i didnt accidently drop and damage it.

Undo all 3 screws and carefully remove the sensor.

post-14067-1169527982.jpg

The 3 screws must stay with the sensor as they are longer then the other sensor's screws.

2 With the newer 90+mdl speedo, there is only 1 screw holding on the sensor.

post-14067-1169528221.jpg

You will need to remove the screw that holds on the trip meter to screw on the older sensor. The screw that holds on the trip meter will need to go with the newer sensor as its too short to hold the older sensor on.

3 Now it's just a matter of carefully putting the older sensor onto the newer speedo. I found it easier to put the single screw on the side opposite of the sensor on first, to hold the sensor while I was doing the fiddly screws on the other side.

post-14067-1169528847.jpg

The trip meter goes on first, then the sensor and finally the longer screw. When fitting the old sensor, you need to have 1 copper arm on each side of the tall gearing stalk.

Fit all 3 screws to the sensor and speedo and your finished.

I fitted the newer sensor to the older speedo and boxed it away in case i need it 1 day. The sensor wont get damaged like that.

Easy enough? If anybody has any questions or wanna add to this, feel free to PM me.

Cheers, Ron

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
do you think the sensor itself it repairable?

just a little bit of a late reply.

it would depend on what is damaged on the sensor. if things like the wiring is faulty, you could remove the faulty wire and resolder a new 1.

Since I wrote this, i've changed over a few more speedos. If people are worried about damaging their speedos but need to change over the sensors, feel free to PM me and i'll help you out.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

any info on how to get the speed signal back to the ecu from the speedo on a r33 gtst ?

speedo is working but ecu is not getting a speed reading SO power steering pressure switch not working and also cannot use launch control on the VSS.

might have to open it up and have a look and wire it manually to the ecu?

• 3 years later...

are those the wires needed to get a signal from analog to digital? i want to make a digital speedometer , yet not sure how to start w/o affecting the power steering.

• 1 year later...

Hey man i have a impul 260 km cluster i purchased years ago for my 32

Its a 93 model and when I installed the cluster the tacho (rpm) gauge stopped working so did my shift light tacho

I'm wondering would this fix my issue

Thanks in advance

Steve