SAU Community

Removing front bar on S1 R33 GTSt

Hi all,

I gotta get in behind the front bar to fix something up...

I've seen several posts about removing the bar on S2 R33's, but it seems a little different for S1.

Anyway, anyone here know how to do it?

if it is an after market bar they are only held ony by like 4 or 5 bolts.

but if it is the plastic one then the bolts are all the way around

so go to wheel and undo the outside ones and undo them one by one and the bar should rap off if u get what i am saying....

When I had my car at the exhaust place getting some work I wanted them to adjust my IC pipes and re-position the IC. They said they couldn't get my S1 M-Spec bar off coz it was joined into black plastic behind it...

Anyone know anything about this ?

When I had my car at the exhaust place getting some work I wanted them to adjust my IC pipes and re-position the IC. They said they couldn't get my S1 M-Spec bar off coz it was joined into black plastic behind it...

WTF ? sounds like they didn't know what they were doing and making excuses (common workshop practice).. on mine at least (series1) which has an aftermarket GTR style bar.. although they are much the same i think .. push plastic splash guards in .. remove few screws (2 or so.. or maybe just the one) on left and right side of the bar, bolting bar to side panels. U might need small screw driver, not heaps of room to do it. Some may have had plastic ties to tie the bumper to the splash bits to secure them in place.. just cut them off and replace later.

Now get underneath and there should be 2 support rails where it bolts in the chasis and 2x 14mm bolts each side (from memory, or it could be a 16mm) that holds it in.. You may need a "long socket" (about $8 from a tool place) as the thread comes out a fair bit from the nut. Now undo those 2 bolts on each side.. get something soft to put it on so you don't scratch it.. and simply slide out. You may at that point also need to disconnect the indicators plugs and things.

Hope that helps.

It does and I do think they were making excuses. Don't spose anyone has pics of where all the bolts and stuff are, much easier then me spending an hour looking for all these hidden bolts (or disconnecting the wrong thing).

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

hey this would really help me guys, the 2 x 14mm bolts on each side, are they to take off the reinforcement bar as well???, these things are ultra hard to get out, any help pleasE??wrong tools maybe?

heres the order ive done for my r33 series 1 front

pull out the grille (5 plugs)

unplug screws below the grille

-Behind the plastic inner wheel arch guard there's two screws either side which hold the sides of the bar to the front of the guards.

Edited by nsta

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

In my experience in removing my factory S1 front bar, there were 2 bolts either side where the front bar meet with the guard, near the wheel arch.

There were then 4 bolts underneath the front bar, staring the the ground. A simple philips screwdriver will get these 4 out. There are 2 on both sides.

There were then 3 clips underneath the grill. When I say grill, I mean the little section that clips onto the headlights and sits between the bonnet and front bar.

Sometimes, you will get lucky and removing these 8 bolts and 3 clips is enough. However, there is a large clip underneath each headlight that the bumper slides under. A flat head screw driver to pry these up will do the job. If you haven't got a tool suitable, you may need to remove the headlights. If this doesn't help, send me a PM and I'll ATTEMPT to draw up a diagram.

• 4 months later...

I can't seem to find the 4 bolts facing the ground. I found 2 facing the front of the car, underneath the grill. I found the 3 clips underneath the grill. Hmm...

I couldn't get the 2 clips off on each side that were attaching the front bar to the guard... philips head just ate the plastic. Tried destroying them with some clippers but the plastic is too tough. Anyone know how to get the clips off without a philips head...?

In my experience in removing my factory S1 front bar, there were 2 bolts either side where the front bar meet with the guard, near the wheel arch.

There were then 4 bolts underneath the front bar, staring the the ground. A simple philips screwdriver will get these 4 out. There are 2 on both sides.

There were then 3 clips underneath the grill. When I say grill, I mean the little section that clips onto the headlights and sits between the bonnet and front bar.

Sometimes, you will get lucky and removing these 8 bolts and 3 clips is enough. However, there is a large clip underneath each headlight that the bumper slides under. A flat head screw driver to pry these up will do the job. If you haven't got a tool suitable, you may need to remove the headlights. If this doesn't help, send me a PM and I'll ATTEMPT to draw up a diagram.